Is this a scam (1 Viewer)

Nov 5, 2017
Nouvelle Aquitaine France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1980
Morning funsters last night at 11.30 I got a text with a verification code then a call then another verification code. I just ignored it turned the phone off. Looking this morning it is supposed to be a Google phone number +1202458888. I have bought nothing from the internet to use a code. Any ideas please.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Morning funsters last night at 11.30 I got a text with a verification code then a call then another verification code. I just ignored it turned the phone off. Looking this morning it is supposed to be a Google phone number +1202458888. I have bought nothing from the internet to use a code. Any ideas please.
They can work scam phone calls to show any number

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Imala 620
Exp
Anything, any number or organisation that you don't recognise, ignore and delete. If its genuine they will continue to attempt to contact you by other means or leave messages. Even consider carefully one that you recognise, never click links or dial numbers.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Sounds like a scammer trying to get into one of your accounts that is protected by 2 step verification. Don't give them the number or they're in 😳

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Definitely a scam.
A few months ago Mr Offagain had a letter (in German) from Amazon.de demanding payment for an unspecified item . He hasn’t even got an account with Amazon.uk , let alone the German branch.
He ignored it.
A couple of weeks later another arrived. Then one from a debt collection company. Then another from the debt collection company.
So he contacted U.K. customer services who obviously knew nothing but gave him the contact details for their German equivalent. He reported it to them and they’re investigating.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Posting about this kind of thing is always helpful all round.
Scammers have no limits on the tricks they will try.
We had a phone call a couple of weeks ago, she would only speak to Robert, I asked the company name and she gave me some LETTERS that meant nothing. I then asked her what the company did and she refused to answer me, she had to speak to Robert.
In the end she said she would send a letter, strangely that letter has never arrived.
Something about how furtive she was made alarm bells ring.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Received an email yesterday from a David Greenwood, he is offering a new Dyson vacuum cleaner worth £378 for just £2. All I have to do is click the link to "Fill in your delivery address".

Not going to happen.

Geoff

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Classic phishing scam: pretend your account is already hacked to scare you, then get you to provide all your details to fix it.

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Had one 2 days ago. Last thursday changed internet over to fibre. They said the new router would arrive in a couple of days and it would fit through a standard size letterbox. On monday we were out shopping and received a text to say they DPD couldn't deliver a parce and if i wanted to reschedule it would cost £3. Contacted DPD who said they had no record of a parcel to my address and also did not charge for rescheduling. Could have been quite easy as i was expecting a delivery to click on the link and pay with debit card.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Had a call today from "SKY technical department" there is a problem with my internet connection, they need to take me through the process to rectify.
I asked for evidence of who he was and to confirm he was from Sky, asked for my reference number which he said starts with the letters, SKY
What a surprise,
When i asked for further details, he hung up :giggle:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The door-to-door Traveller blokes offering to fix guttering / pressure wash my drive / cut trees etc. are back as well.

Haven't seen any Jehovah's Witnesses in a long while so that's one benefit of lockdown. I almost miss them ... well, not really.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Another angle, I got this today and no I didn’t react!

Attachments

• AE5B915A-AD99-4A6A-A915-AEE67EEB81CD.jpeg
    AE5B915A-AD99-4A6A-A915-AEE67EEB81CD.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 17

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I had a call this week on the landline she informed she was the environmental office r for Walesmy response was 'thats a big job' she hung up :LOL:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We received a call today from a mobile number. Rita said, "I don't recognise that number on the display", and when I looked, neither did I. :cautious::cautious::cautious:
I picked the phone up and said out loud, "GO ON THEN, WHAT'S YOUR SCAM FOR ME TODAY?

The reply came back.......................... "Jock, it's Jaws. About that printed circuit board you sent me, etc, etc."

Oh bu@@er. :whatthe: ............................. :rofl:

The other week there, I did the same to a withheld number. It turned out to be a call for Rita, from a senior member of the hospital IBD Team. :doh:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Companies don't do near enough to stop this kind of thing.

I posted a tool vault on gumtree earlier tonight and within 10 minutes I had one guy whatsapping me asking generic questions - 'any faults with it?' etc

He then said he'd take it but only if I use gumtree delivery. Never heard of it so went back on to gumtree to look for this delivery service. First thing I see is a poster saying 'beware of buyers asking to use gumtree delivery'.

Blocked and reported his whatsapp.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back