Is this a good deal for a 1981 motorhome? (1 Viewer)

M

mulderstu

Deleted User
Hi All,

My brother in law is selling his vw motorhome for 2k. Just wondering if you guys think its a good deal?

It's V reg (which I think is 1981 or 2) imported so LHD, 75000 km on the clock. No MOT. awning,2L petrol. 5 berth, toilet/shower, fridge and cooker.

Cheers

stu

Attachments

• P1050040.JPG
    P1050040.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 138
  • P1050042.JPG
    P1050042.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 135
Last edited by a moderator:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hard thing to put a value on.

A dealer would say its worthless so it comes down to what you think its worth?

It very old but if no damp and everything works you could find its usage great value for money but if much needs doing your chucking your money away.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Might be worth spending £40 for an MOT and see what your getting yourself into. If its a rot box or need huge amounts of suspension/steering parts/brake work, £40 will be a small price to pay to walk away.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Caravanning

Deleted User
Looks a nice little starter vehicle. Pay attention to the steering arm bushes and their brackets. Bushes wear and brackets can crack.

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
It's good it's the petrol model as the diesels are noisy and unreliable also you could put a LPG system on it, it has to be worth £1400 without an MOT, as long as chassis is sound you can always fix the steering and suspension.
Better to nut and bolt than weld.

Check for damp, just cos he's a relative you can haggle:thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Interesting vehicle and may be worth it to get it professionally checked over.:thumb:

Haggle the price though.Maybe get the price of a checkover off it at least.

Any service history, parts invoices, old mots with work done etc?

You didn't mention....Are you mechanically minded?

Do all the appliances work?

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Chance the price of an MOT, if ok or works within budget and habitation dry then as long as you are able to service appliences yourself then it may be worth a punt. Chassis rust would be my biggest worry closely followed by damp. A damp meter is cheap enough to buy off ebay, as is a gas sniffer. So you could at least check for problems yourself. A vehicle of that age is bound to suffer from some rot in the framework, are you able to fix it yourself. Can you weld, are brake parts available. when was it last on the road/MOT'd. You need a heiniken inspector, to reach the parts that others miss. a mirror on a stick to look under/behind the fridge etc, check under all berths, around back corners, has it been repapered (Why) any sign of dark partches under paper. look around vents, some early types allow water in. How are the cusions foam and covers, curtains. Are batteries ok, gas bottle present. If there is a shower tray is it split. Is there a fresh water tank, grey waste tank, hook up. All these bits cost money to fix and replace. The price seems high for a van of that age even with an MOT, but I suppose it depends on how it has been kept. Good luck, do let us know how you get on.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
My brother in law is selling his vw motorhome for 2k. Just wondering if you guys think its a good deal?

It's V reg (which I think is 1981 or 2) imported so LHD, 75000 km on the clock. No MOT. awning,2L petrol. 5 berth, toilet/shower, fridge and cooker.
Depends on how much you are prepared to spend on getting it roadworthy again? You can ignore the mileage altogether.....75000km is 46600miles, so it's been round the clock at least once!

VW's are not exactly cheap on parts whether using original or pattern.

Best advice is to ask him to MOT it first (at your expense), and if it fails then weigh up the costs of 'sorting it'. As the guy is your brother-in-law i would not expect this to be a problem.

C

Caravanning

Deleted User
....46600miles, so it's been round the clock at least once!

I am not so sure. The condition from the picture looks quite tidy. The mileage may well be genuine...lets face it, it is a 1981 vehicle and still here looking clean and tidy !

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
£2000 isn't a lot of money for what could be a whole lot of fun.

I'd get it professionally checked over, and if it's good, deduct the money from the sale or haggle over Sale with valid MOT only.:thumb:

You really need to see back MOT's and paperwork to verify mileage etc.

I'd certainly take a look, but be prepared to say no and walk away if there's signs of problems.

Why hasn't he put it through an MOT?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back