Is there still a need for satellite dish on a motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
a/ Los Alcázares
b/ 85 Oyster
c/ the one I use they don't make any more.
d/ couldn't say incase the copyright police from the UK are on our site 🤣
I was wondering the same thing because I couldnt get anything down there. Pleased that you re getting what you want but its probably fair to say that you re on borrowed time, so its probably not a good idea to have a sat dish fitted if you relying on using it in Spain.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I was wondering the same thing because I couldnt get anything down there. Pleased that you re getting what you want but its probably fair to say that you re on borrowed time, so its probably not a good idea to have a sat dish fitted if you relying on using it in Spain.
I better turn myself in 😜

Better not show what apps are on my firestick then.

I will have to turn to the dark Web and use burner phones.

Off to polish my halo 😇

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
In theory..
85cm dish pointing at 27.5 W Intelsat 901
A receiver capable of having some codes put into it (all freely available).
And Bob's your Uncle you can watch all the main BBC + radio & ITV, channel 4 & 5.
More details here of the channels available, please note none of these are ever behind a paywall or on a subscription service, this is a very important point..
https://www.lyngsat.com/Intelsat-901.html
This will work from the UK down to the bottom of Spain.
Many arguements have been had if it is "dodgy" or not. The encryption is not "hard" and very modest. It is a satellite back up service for some of the UK Freeview channels so if you pay your Tv license you ain't doing anything illegal at all, just watching what you can when at home.
Vodaphone give a UK IP address when users are in Europe roaming, hence the Iplayer etc work no problem and no one says that is dodgy... same programs received via a satellite isn't any different.
Some could argue it is more legal than using a VPN on a Firestick to pretend you are somewhere else in the world.
Are the Rossers likely to knock on the van to see if you are streaming BBC 1 via Iplayer on a Firestick or watching it via a legit sat feed?
Highly unlikely IMHO.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
So, perhaps a small portable dish and a tripod would be a (much cheaper!) option…..?(y)
Yes it’s a cheap option wether a dish, tripod and a meter is used but every time you move sites or the tripod falls over you will need to realign the dish and it can be a pain.

The other option is a Maxview Precision a portable dish, tripod and a built in meter may be a simpler option as well as a portable stick on system called Maxview Remora Pro, but these options are only for Sky HD not Q, single feed or twin.

Loads of options available hence why I’ve gone for the automatic setup where it’s a press of a button and away you go.

But……… a simple internet connection and a firestick is the way to go and the ultimate setup is via IPTV where you get it all.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Yes it’s a cheap option wether a dish, tripod and a meter is used but every time you move sites or the tripod falls over you will need to realign the dish and it can be a pain.
Never had the tripod fall over yet. Drill holes in the feet and peg it down. Takes about 5 mins to set up if you move site.
Only problem is if it’s raining, you get a little wet but always have a golf brolly with me.
Very good option at the price.

Last edited:
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
We had an Oyster fitted on the current van and said to ourselves that we wouldn’t bother on the next one as we could buy a lot of data for 2.5k.
The next one is about to be ordered and we will have a dish fitted as the data roaming in Europe doesn’t look to clever.

CAClase_Justin

Free Member
Feb 28, 2014
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Internet broadband via satellite came and went and is obsolete, as is conventional DVB-S (Satellite TV)

in 2018 we took delivery of our new camper and debated whether we could be bothered to fit satellite TV or not, in the end we decided that it was probably one motorhome too early so fitted one, which we have hardly used

We have a new van on order which will be delivered later this year and we wouldn't dream of installing a satellite system. We hardly ever watch BBC1 ITV 4 & Five at home preferring on demand Netflix and Prime

When we go away we are the same and as we have a EE Mobile broadband contract at home, we simply chuck it in the bag along with our iPads, Kindles and last minute stuff the morning we leave

We even took it to Iceland to watch the Rugby
Cough "Six Nations", "The Autumn Tests" & " British & Irish Lions" BBC, ITV and C4 I believe and with no streaming time delay ;):p Hope you're all keeping safe and well down there, and how is Jame's new venture coming along?

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
I’ve used it all, you name it I’ve used it, installed it and broke it lol.

I’m awaiting a caravan sold my MoHo and purchased a 6month old Maxview seeker system and had Maxview send us the Q pack so I can use my Sky Q box when away also, I have the Maxview Roam system as well so then I have option to use my modded firestick and this way regardless where I am I get Tv.

All this to keep the misses happy and not to miss Emmerdale lol.

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Good thread this and decent discussion.... we've a Sat dish, had it put on in Spring 2020, also have a firestick and mifi, clearly now since the transition is over data caps are now in and some are 12gb per month...which is not a lot of TV to be fair, especially films. We've been away in the UK since the Sat dish was fitted and had no mobile signal even radio was limited but Satellite worked perfectly....so there is no one size fits all ..yet... Mrs enjoys a bit of TV in the winter and wet times while the crafts she does are on the go so handy to cover all the input methods in my opinion..... Safe Travels all

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Sitting here at Bolton Abbey Club Site ... hopeless Digital TV ( need a lead) poor internet speed for streaming...EE just about ok... Smarty is non existent
Satellite... perfect... No one size fits all...
We are currently looking to replace our home TV and a large number of them do not have an aerial connection, to have one you need to have Freeview HD mentioned. All the others depend on a good broadband to work reliably. Even satellite in heavy rain is no goods we found out in Ghana a couple of weeks ago watching satellite TV then we had heavy rain, and i mean really heavy) so we lost the sign al completely. I am lucky to live only a mile from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter so getting a good terrestrial signal is no bother. So, yes one size does not fit all. I have a dish on my van so can mostly watch TV from home unless strayed too far out of the footprint.

Reactions: f6c
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We don't really watch live TV even when we are home now. Most stuff we watch is streamed as it means we can watch what we want when we want. We just use the Laptop connected to a hotspot on the phone. Have some stuff downloaded in case we cant get signal.

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
I will be keeping the oyster its going yo be useful for getting Bandr (Nilesat) down in Turkey for the gulf free to air stuff as long as you dont mind subtitles in arabic its all good and the camel racing on Dubi sports is quite entertaining.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Interesting the number of people posting their opinions as absolute fact. We've got a Huawei modem with roof mounted Mimo antenna, together with an 85cm auto-skew roof mounted auto satellite dish capable of accessing Intelsat 901/907. We've been in locations where we couldn't get a data signal, and others where we couldn't get a satellite signal, but usually we can get something.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
We are currently looking to replace our home TV and a large number of them do not have an aerial connection, to have one you need to have Freeview HD mentioned.
That’s strange, I’ve never seen a TV without an aerial input….:unsure:
We’ve got a Samsung TV that has a ‘One Connect’ box with the aerial, sat, HDMI, etc. inputs on it, so only one cable goes to the back of the TV, but that’s not what you meant, is it Ian Bosman …..?:unsure:

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
We have roof mounted WiFi aerial connected to router and then use SKY GO either via hdmi to the TV or if it’s just me watching football, I usually just watch it on the laptop.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
I have a portable sat dish and receiver.
never used it yet as so far we have been able to pick free stations up on the fitted aerial.

as for sky. No thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back