Is there something better than Skype VOIP? (1 Viewer)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have not used Skype for a few years and now have reason to use VOIP again but only in the UK and mainly calling landline numbers. Does anyone use another provider which they consider better?

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Apple do Facetime.... FaceAche does similar... both with an option to stream vid or not... as do some other Apps but both parties need to be on same platform.. i.e Android or apple..... I'm sure that there are others out there ... would't be surprised if g@@le didn't have something similar.. (or did they buy Skype?)...

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks John but I am specifically looking at VOIP services to be able to make phone calls.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Thanks John but I am specifically looking at VOIP services to be able to make phone calls.

both of the above do... either voice only or with video... or are you meaning to make voip calls to land lines etc.. as opposed to smart phones?...

Edit:.... google brought up this....

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
both of the above do... either voice only or with video... or are you meaning to make voip calls to land lines etc.. as opposed to smart phones?...
I am looking at making telephone calls to landlines. I do not want the systems which require both parties to have specific software or apps.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I use Skype and (as I'm on O2) an app called TU GO (turns my phone into Voip device using same number). Both work well for me.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I have not used Skype for a few years and now have reason to use VOIP again but only in the UK and mainly calling landline numbers. Does anyone use another provider which they consider better?
For business grade use, consider Gradwell. We use them, with softphones (as we always have our computers on). If team working, also consider Bria-X so you know who is on the phone & can send each other messages.

Also look at Sipgate.

There are plenty of others about, but these are the only ones that I have recent experience with. Thinking about it, I haven't used my Sipgate account recently - I'd better check that it's still active!

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I use TU GO.

Unfortunately O2 are shutting it down at the end of next month, and expect you to use a nice expensive new mobile with built-in wi-fi or 4G calling instead.

Damn. Didn't know that :(

Guess I'm now in the market for a new Voip service (with a phone number) as well (need something to divert business 0800 number to when no phone signal, but have WiFi).

Guess I'll be watching this thread :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back