Is there are 'best' Map of Europe? (1 Viewer)

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
So I have finally updated my many years old Tom Tom with a map which covers the whole of Western Europe! Hurrah!

But not trusting it entirely after recent very painful tours through some of Devon and Cornwall's narrowest B roads, I have decided I need a map to back it up.

In fact we will also have laptops and smart-phones with access to Google Maps etc, so we will have two electronic backups to the Tom Tom. Well, 4 actually as we BOTH have phones and 'puters.

But I stopped trusting technology the day I quit working in technology! :Eeek: lol

I don't like any of the generic European maps I have seen with their crazy 1" to several billion miles scales! lol I like the Big Red 2.5 miles to the inch AA one - I just got the latest GB version. Is there anything like that for France, Spain and Portugal? I would rather purchase a proper book per country than the general Europe ones. I spent ages the last couple of days in various branches of WH Smiths but they only have France maps. No Spain. I would like to try and get all my maps from the same publisher, just for ease of use.

Any recommendations?

(My copies of All the Aires in France, and All the Aires in Spain and Portugal arrived this morning. Almost ready to go! :thumb:)

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
I still reguarly use my 2006 copy (with the van when I bought it) of Michelin 1cm to 4km Portugal & Espanha map book. I use mainly smaller roads which rarely change apart from the odd roundabout appearing. It's very clear and is a good fold out format.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
It is a good question Oddsocks.

Like you I work(ed) in technology, so I think there's part of me that loves the tech and another part of me that craves non-tech.

So I'm open to any good printed map suggestions whether UK or European.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use cepsa mapamax of spain and portugal. buy off amazon . they have 2 on last years very cheap.
it shows far more little coastal names . i have found it easy to use but does fall apart if you arent careful.
i,m waiting for the 2014 to be available then i shall get a new one .
much better than the michelin and more on it.

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Did cepsa take over the map part of Firestone ?

Cos I've been bemoaning the loss of the Firestone maps/atlas of the Iberian peninsula a LOT just recently - they were BRILL.

Large scale Michelin for France - but trouble is if you get too large a scale (our current atlas is) you can't really see very easily where you are in comparison to somewhere else LOL - like when you ask, so how far is that from (a town in France) then? you can't see very easily cos you'd have to go over 10 pages across and you aren't sure if that specified place is up or down! And if you go to the whole of France map at the front, the particular town probably isn't big enough to be shown on it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Large scale Michelin for France - but trouble is if you get too large a scale (our current atlas is) you can't really see very easily where you are in comparison to somewhere else LOL - like when you ask, so how far is that from (a town in France) then? you can't see very easily cos you'd have to go over 10 pages across and you aren't sure if that specified place is up or down! And if you go to the whole of France map at the front, the particular town probably isn't big enough to be shown on it.

For route planning and driving we use the country map.. the atlas when we are 'on site'

There is also a Michelin route planning map of France which I found very good..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Did cepsa take over the map part of Firestone ?

Cos I've been bemoaning the loss of the Firestone maps/atlas of the Iberian peninsula a LOT just recently - they were BRILL.

i cant answer that one .but have been told repsol do one similar.
i was shown the cepsa back in 2010. i havent found a better map book.
ord sevay type are nice .but i will stick with cepsa .

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have also finally updated my old Tomtom.....took a while....12 attempts. I bought the big AA map of France book, invaluable as there have been so many new roads built in France. Our Tomtom went mad.....please turn around etc constantly. ::bigsmile:

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
I always use the AA Easy Read France which is very clear at 2.8 miles to 1 inch.

And for Spain I use the Michelin Tourist & Motoring Atlas of Spain & Portugal at 6.31 miles to 1 inch.

The AA do one the same scale, but I cannot get on with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back