Is There Anything To See In Asturia? (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
All I really know about Asturia is that it rains, there are coal-mines and it is in Northern Spain; what am I missing please, as we are determined to visit there this August.
Alan

Steveth

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Wherever We Are Parked
Funster No
MH
Swift Esprit462 (Freddie)
Exp
Since 2014
We visited Oviedo the capital, a couple of years ago, pre Motorhome. Very wealthy city, top end designer shops, lots of culture, boasts the oldest working Town Hall in Spain dates back to 1662.
Some of the scenery in Asturias is worth the trip, especially if you follow the coast into Galicia. Try the local food, very fresh as it has not had to travel far.

http://www.asturiasguide.com
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oviedo

Hope you enjoy your trip, remember to explore off the beaten track.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Don't eat the veg. They water it with pee. (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Where is it?
Asturias is the bit in the middle of the north coast of Spain. Centred around Gijón/Xixón (they have odd ideas about spelling there). The place has a Celtic feel to it and not just because they play the bagpipes.

Oviedo is Woody Allen's favourite European city apparently.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I went there some 45 years ago camping what a friendly area the people were great even under the Franco regime ,up in the mountain region I watched a game somewhat like squash but played with huge basket like hooks strapped onto the players arms talk about fast boy these were quick, then into a little restuarant for a cidras and steak followed by strawberries and fresh cream then a good nights sleep up in the fresh mountain air then down in to San Sebastian a lovely resort where all the locals promenade in the evening along the bay front. Yes it is worth a visit .

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
If your passing that way, take a look at Guernica, made famous by Picassos painting. It was the town bombed by Germany and Italy, but instigated by Franco on his own people. Well worth a day.
Phil

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Beautiful Asturias, next to beautiful Galicia.
Weather can be Brit-like but the scenery, towns, cities, gastronomy etc etc will make you want to return.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Never been but I like it as that's where my wages come from :D:D

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Wasn't Hitler born in Austria? Maybe you could have a day out and visit his birthplace! It's sure to have a blue plaque outside. (y)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
All I really know about Asturia is that it rains, there are coal-mines and it is in Northern Spain; what am I missing please, as we are determined to visit there this August.
Alan
We visited Oviedo the capital, a couple of years ago, pre Motorhome. Very wealthy city, top end designer shops,

Alan, bad move, bad move, bad move!!!!!:eek:(n)

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
Try the footprint guide to northern Spain.. If it's worth a look it's in there.

I think Franco came from there and know the Spanish prince of Wales equivalent is the prince of the Asturias. Good news for royalty and dictator buffs.

Dave

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
If your passing that way, take a look at Guernica, made famous by Picassos painting. It was the town bombed by Germany and Italy, but instigated by Franco on his own people. Well worth a day.
Phil
As far as I know, the Guernica is either in Madrid or New York, although it was once in Paris. I believe that it is now in a fragile condition and cannot be moved but in Asturia? I think not but the caves of Altimira are.... somewhere. Alan
added after further reading, yes I think that Asturia only requires 'U' to move a little to prevent the first world war.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As far as I know, the Guernica is either in Madrid or New York, although it was once in Paris. I believe that it is now in a fragile condition and cannot be moved but in Asturia? I think not but the caves of Altimira are.... somewhere. Alan
added after further reading, yes I think that Asturia only requires 'U' to move a little to prevent the first world war.
The town of Guernica, after which the painting is named, is a shade to the east of Bilbao and in the Basque Region, not Asturias. But this is a technicality, it is all an interesting region. The painting itself is now in Madrid having been in New York until after the death of Franco.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
a friend had a guernica style paint job on his bus for years .
was even used in vogue magazine on a photo shoot while we were in maroc one year.
but all that north coast is really interesting . the peco,s de europa . the valleys ,the little villages ,some real nice fishing ports . there is a dinosaur region and near arguero at pl de meron there is foot prints on the rocks . carry on round cantarbria ,asturia ,galicia then into norther portugal all fantastic.

Attachments

• img135.jpg
    img135.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread