Is there any way to test it my satellite set up works without driving anywhere? (1 Viewer)

Mar 28, 2020
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg 790
Exp
Given the surroundings where the van is parked, tall hedges, buildings etc. according to the manual I should struggle to get signal. However the sat itself looks old and only has the one cable attached, though it did have 2 at some point in its life and looks to have been severed at the dish. Do I need both?
since we have no immediate plans to go abroad in Mary, we just want the standard channels. Which is best, terrestrial aerial for Freeview, or sat dish for Freesat? The TV I have just acquired can work with either. Freesat built in, but the sat finder doesn’t light up? Considering just adding an aerial but thought I’d ask those that know what works best.

any help appreciated ?

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
I think the two feeds are only needed if you want to record one programme and watch another at the same time.

Graydo

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
What model is it ?
Mine has twin lnb but only because it's an old oyster 1 system that can't be programmed to lock onto astra 2. So it locks onto astra 1 then I switch over to second lnb which is then pointed at astra 2.
Works ok so long as it gets a line of sight to the south.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RPG340
Mar 28, 2020
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg 790
Exp
What model is it ?
Mine has twin lnb but only because it's an old oyster 1 system that can't be programmed to lock onto astra 2. So it locks onto astra 1 then I switch over to second lnb which is then pointed at astra 2.
Works ok so long as it gets a line of sight to the south.

Hi Figaro, it’s a Maxview B2590 Omnistat 66. What paperwork I have is basically fitting instructions.

OP
OP
RPG340
Mar 28, 2020
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg 790
Exp
Update, I do have power to the satfinder. Just working through some online tutorial ?

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Looks like you have a crank-up dish. You need a flylead to connect to the signal finder during initial setup. Once the satellite is found, power-down the digibox and remove the flylead. Best to use push-on connectors so you can easily connect and remove flylead.

Correction: the flylead actually joins the two ends of the connections going in and out of the signal finder. Basically you take the signal finder out of the aerial cable circuit once you've found the satellite.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
For use in the UK you may as well just have a decent terrestrial aerial such as the Status 570 which also has a radio connection as well which I have fed the cab radio to.
Ive taken my crank up dish off the roof as I had not used it for a few years.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
For use in the UK you may as well just have a decent terrestrial aerial such as the Status 570 which also has a radio connection as well which I have fed the cab radio to.
Can you please tell me did connecting the hab radio to status make much difference In reception I have been going to try for years
thanks

OP
OP
RPG340
Mar 28, 2020
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg 790
Exp
Ok so I have managed to find hundreds of channels. Mostly German and french, a lot of ‘Adult’ channels and sport or news. Am I picking up the wrong sat or should I try again for British channels? If indeed you can get the generic British channels.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Can you please tell me did connecting the hab radio to status make much difference In reception I have been going to try for years
thanks
It made a big difference, the difficult part is getting the cable from the Status control box to the back of the radio.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Then I have 3 months or more to sort it out :giggle:
one more on the list of jobs I have been promising myself to get done :p
thanks ?
You should be able to take the cable from the back of the radio straight down to the floor then into the battery box and out again through one of the holes in the side of the box. This gets the cable underneath the van, it’s then finding a suitable position to go through the van floor and up to the Status control box. The Status does not have to be on to work, my radio works off the leisure battery and I often have it switched on while doing any odd jobs as it’s parked on the drive.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Ok so I have managed to find hundreds of channels. Mostly German and french, a lot of ‘Adult’ channels and sport or news. Am I picking up the wrong sat or should I try again for British channels? If indeed you can get the generic British channels.
You are probably pointing at astra19, a nice strong signal. You need to move a few degrees to 28 for astral 2, a rather weak signal, then return.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
You are probably pointing at astra19, a nice strong signal. You need to move a few degrees to 28 for astral 2, a rather weak signal, then return.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The OP will find the Astra 2 satellite (English programmes) at whole circle bearing 146 degrees (for his base in Hertfordshire). The theoretical dish elevation is 26 degrees. The LNB should be set to 7 o'clock (looking facing the dish).

If you have a sky digibox the following parameters will be shown onscreen for Astra 2:
Signal strength / signal quaility......aim for at least 80%
Network ID..................0002
Transport stream.......07d4

Astra 2 is roughly in the south east direction. If you start from south, you'll first pickup Astra 1. Carry on for another 10 degrees and you'll get to Astra 2. Best of luck. Practice makes perfect :LOL:

OP
OP
RPG340
Mar 28, 2020
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg 790
Exp
Herefordshire ?

I think where the van is might not help finding the correct sat Astra 2 but I’ll have another crack it tomorrow. The main thing is I know my sat works, sat finder works and my tv works So that’s a weight off. Fine tuning can wait.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Dish alignment for Herefordshire - whole circle bearing 145 degrees, dish elevation 26 degrees (same as before).

NB. The dish elevation is based on the direct line of sight to the satellite. Your dish will be the offset type whereby the signal strikes the face of the dish and is reflected downwards to the LNB. Therefore the dish has to be aimed some way below the given angle of elevation. Most crank-up systems are calibrated to allow for this variation.

OP
OP
RPG340
Mar 28, 2020
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg 790
Exp
Dish alignment for Herefordshire - whole circle bearing 145 degrees, dish elevation 26 degrees (same as before).

NB. The dish elevation is based on the direct line of sight to the satellite. Your dish will be the offset type whereby the signal strikes the face of the dish and is reflected downwards to the LNB. Therefore the dish has to be aimed some way below the given angle of elevation. Most crank-up systems are calibrated to allow for this variation.

Much appreciated Wagoneer. ? Got a few jobs to do tomorrow on the van, new charger arriving with a bit of luck so I’ll be happy fettling for a bit. Then I might tackle the scratches in the windows. ?

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Hi Mikeco
Excuse me resurrecting/ hijacking this thread :giggle: :giggle:
I'm thinking of attaching my cab radio to the status connection as you have done. Does this work well when on the move or is it only good reception when stationary?
Also do you (or anyone else watching) know the type of connection I need to the status box? it seems to be a smaller diameter than a standard TV coaxial cable connection?
Thanks
Paddy

Attachments

• IMG_20201105_125211997.jpg
    IMG_20201105_125211997.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 8

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries