is there any point in home internet (1 Viewer)

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
I have EE as a supplier (not fibre broadband ) which recently keeps dropping out so I decide to do a speed test
it came back with a download speed of 6.47 and an upload speed of 1.04 on my lap top, same test on my mobile on tesco PAYG using wifi router slightly faster, but when I turned the broad band off forcing the phone to use 4g even though I only had two bars showing the speed test came back 10.34 down load and 2.25 upload hence why am i paying 23pound a month for crap broad band when my phone is quicker

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
For me virgin media cable gives me a decent broadband speed so well worth it .

77938015-7B6D-4F30-A05B-BB2CF48EEDCE.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
romany

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
Yes but what about your data allowance ?

We lived for years with 5Mb/s.
Yes something I am going to check I am assuming that any data sim would give me the same speed as it is the phone that regulates the download speed. or is that wrong ?

I'm about to buy a data sym as about to go more or less full timing anyway so need to work out my monthly use suspect its around 10 gigabyte

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I did this the other evening, just with a tablet, and my 4g was 3x faster than my home broadband, have just started connecting all devices at home to test before ditching home BB.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Yes something I am going to check I am assuming that any data sim would give me the same speed as it is the phone that regulates the download speed. or is that wrong ?

I'm about to buy a data sym as about to go more or less full timing anyway so need to work out my monthly use suspect its around 10 gigabyte
3 had unlimited data for £20 month. Use mine for streaming TV, often use 39gb plus in a week away and no throttling of speed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When we changed our contract 2 months ago it was cheaper to have super fast broadband than standard cost is £8.99 by I get referrals discount so pay less than a fiver a month. Due to there being dozens on joints on the line to the nearest fibre box (SIL is a local Openreach eng) so we only get 52 - 54 MB/s.
When we had ordinary broadband we only got 3 MB/s it was useless for streaming.

The problem with using 4G data it that unless you are in a very good signal area the speed varies enormously, we have a fairly good signal it still varies between 10MB - 40MB/s. 10 is just about OK at the moment but as sites get more intense & power hungry will it be any good in a year or so, we all used to use dial up you couldn't even get a basic site to load with that now.

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
We live in the "wilds" of North Wales where fibre to the premises only reaches two telegraph poles away from my house.

Having lived for years with a 0.5mb connection waiting in vain for BT to find a way to bring the FTTP cable a further 200 yards, I gave up this Spring and got EE 4g mobile broadband. It's great - I'm getting near fibre speeds at times (20-40mbs).

The only downside is the data allowance. You can't get unlimited data like a fixed connection. I have a lifetime £20 discount, so get 100gb a month for £35. It is just about enough... but the next time they do an offer I will upgrade to 200gb. It's a rolling 30 day contract so I can get out easily if better comes along.

The upside is we can use our UK data allowance in the router I've put in the van when we are away in Europe. No need for mifi units, tethering mobiles or additional data sims - I've just hacked into the 12v supply for the EE router that came with the home package, as I bought a better new one.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
For me virgin media cable gives me a decent broadband speed so well worth it .

Nice bit of willie waving there Larry.

But the reality is 5Mb/s will give a perfect video feed, what do you do with the other 200Mb/s ?

The other side of the coin is the provider might have nothing like 200Mb/s and then you are stuffed. This happens some weekends when watching bike racing. I upgraded to fibre not knowing if it was the local cable or the provider causing the stuttering and found fibre better, of course, but occasionally I can still get stutter at peak periods.

But for anyone watching video, the gotcha is the data allowance. A one hour movie could be 2GB.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Last time I checked the monthly data download at home it was something like 700 plus GB ..
Kids, TV streaming.. I need home broadband..
Currently with plusnet fibre at £27 a month. (y)

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
The problem with using 4G data it that unless you are in a very good signal area the speed varies enormously, we have a fairly good signal it still varies between 10MB - 40MB/s. 10 is just about OK at the moment but as sites get more intense & power hungry will it be any good in a year or so, we all used to use dial up you couldn't even get a basic site to load with that now.

As long as it makes do for a year or two 5g will be along to blow current speeds out the water.

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
We live in the "wilds" of North Wales where fibre to the premises only reaches two telegraph poles away from my house.

Having lived for years with a 0.5mb connection waiting in vain for BT to find a way to bring the FTTP cable a further 200 yards, I gave up this Spring and got EE 4g mobile broadband. It's great - I'm getting near fibre speeds at times (20-40mbs).

The only downside is the data allowance. You can't get unlimited data like a fixed connection. I have a lifetime £20 discount, so get 100gb a month for £35. It is just about enough... but the next time they do an offer I will upgrade to 200gb. It's a rolling 30 day contract so I can get out easily if better comes along.

The upside is we can use our UK data allowance in the router I've put in the van when we are away in Europe. No need for mifi units, tethering mobiles or additional data sims - I've just hacked into the 12v supply for the EE router that came with the home package, as I bought a better new one.

Glas Robin - have you tried the EE Hub abroad yet?

I’ve got one and the last time I tried to use it in France, I got a message saying I could not use the allowance outside the UK.

If your works then I’ll need to find out why mine didn’t.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Nice bit of willie waving there Larry.

But the reality is 5Mb/s will give a perfect video feed, what do you do with the other 200Mb/s ?

The other side of the coin is the provider might have nothing like 200Mb/s and then you are stuffed. This happens some weekends when watching bike racing. I upgraded to fibre not knowing if it was the local cable or the provider causing the stuttering and found fibre better, of course, but occasionally I can still get stutter at peak periods.

But for anyone watching video, the gotcha is the data allowance. A one hour movie could be 2GB.

With several of us in the house it copes where our BT 4mbs in our last house continually dropped out.

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
Thankfully as we are near to the fibre box we get a decent download speed, 60+mbs, which we need as we both work from home connected over VPNs to company networks. I often use 4G when I am at customer sites and the variation in signal and available bandwidth is considerable. In some large towns/cities you can get a perfect signal but get appalling download speeds of a couple of mbs due to contention, at home I get a fairly average signal but can regularly get 10+mbs downloads. When we finally no longer need the broadband for work we will probably look at the 5G signal strength and what data deals are available and get rid of the home broadband completely, especially as we expect to be off in the MH as much as we can.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
The main downside of relying on solely on 4G is the download limit (even "unlimited" ones usually have a fair use policy hidden within the T&Cs). With the advent of 5G this might change, but only time will tell whether we actually get some truly unlimited mobile broadband solutions.

10GB is not very much at all.....I suspect you'll need a lot more unless you hardly use the internet.
A couple of weeks ago I had to work from home using my work phone's hotspot and by early afternoon I'd already used 1gb. And that was just with emails and a bit of browsing.....no videos, no ip phone calls no software updates, and actually it was a pretty quiet day too, so there weren't any large email attachments to download either.
I have a data monitor on my personal on my mobile and I average 15GB per month (4G and wifi combined) - and that's without regularly using it as a hotspot.

If I was relying solely on mobile broadband I'd want a minimum of 100GB per month for basic online activities, more if I wanted to also stream media. For me, mobile broadband has a long way to go before it can replace a fixed line.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
We ditched home bb a while ago and tethered everything to our phones.
Ee 100gb per month and can use abroad.
2 smart tvs and a smart washing machine connected.
We stream catch up and the odd film but mainly spotify around 3 hrs a day.
Highest usage so far was 72gb.
Not noticed that we haven't got home bb really.
As soon as we get home everything connects automatically same in the mh with the firestick.
We trialled it first by turning the router off for a week. If you dont notice anything different then you have your answer.

OP
OP
romany

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
I'm not a heavy net user a couple of forums I use and camper contact and others for route and site planning my wife and i are quite happy to watch local tv in France or Spain so don't stream much, Wasap is the way we communicate with family with the occasional phone calls but I suspect I will be surprised how much we do use

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
My old contract with "Three" had unlimited data downloads & at the time was considerably quicker than our SKY Broadband, so we ditched Sky & tethered to my phone til SKY got they're act together.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I could be in a never ending spiral and disappear up my own backside.:moon2:
No phone signal in my road so have to have the internet for the Vodafone Sure Signal to work and enable me to use my phone.

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
Glas Robin - have you tried the EE Hub abroad yet?

I’ve got one and the last time I tried to use it in France, I got a message saying I could not use the allowance outside the UK.

If your works then I’ll need to find out why mine didn’t.

I must admit I have assumed it'll work. The only time I tried on our recent trip, the signal was so poor it wouldn't connect. So I gave up and put my unlimited work phone SIM in the router instead. That worked everywhere - and although it said I had an 850mb cap before throttling, it seemed to reset every day/each new country and I never noticed any throttling.

It's entirely possible that it won't work and I've misled you!!

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
We have managed the last few years with only a 15Gb allowance with no home broadband. Obviously we did no video streaming or even music. We only came close to that twice - downloading sat nav info was about 7Gb!
We have now got 32Gb allowance between 2 phones (1 on EE and 1 on 3 to give us the best chance of one having a signal wherever we are). We're not bothered about streaming otherwise this is clearly not enough.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've recently dumped our home broadband and are using 3 home hub with unlimited data and have been told that we can use it abroad, subject to the 19Gb limit the same as phones so with our phone data limits as well as long as we don't use them all at once we'll have 27Gb a month which hopefully will be enough as we only really use it for a couple of forums each - including both of us using this one!

Denise

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I dumped Virgin fibre broadband about 4 years ago and i initially started by using a 4g mifi on 3 with a 20gb monthly package. My reasons for this was that i could use the mifi when away in the motorhome and also the service from Virgin could be dire. Depends what you need it for but i only got close to the limit when Microsoft downloaded an update without me realising.
About 6 months ago now, i switched my phone package with 3 to unlimited data, calls and text for £21 / month. I now just hotspot my phone and use that.
I have watched live tv and you tube videos without any issues. The fair usage policy in the small print i seem to remember was about 1000Gb / month, which it suggested would mean streaming films 24hrs a day all month, so i have no worries about limits.
I do live near a mast so no problem with signal at home.

Mike

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
My Vodaphone 4G is noticeable faster on the upload speeds than my home broadband too, then later I noticed it was also a lot faster at downloads too.

When I picked up the phone and used it as a mifi this weekend in the van it was the same as at home - the old fixed broadband's days are numbered.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
For 13 years I paid BT £30 a month for ½ mb . I don't how we managed but we did, I now have a steady 40 and even when everyone in the house is streaming, It still feels fast enough. Speeds on my phone on a good day are twice as fast as the landline.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
We had our home broadband and landline shut down about a month ago . This after testing out a mifi over the space of approx 6 weeks , loaded with a smarty unlimited data sim , which is an offshoot of the 3 company, therefore runs on the 3 network . Mifi and sim has never failed for any appreciable time , both at home and while away in motorhome or visiting family etc. And we have also been in some fairly remote spots, so coverage (so far ) has been good.

Our internet usage is the usual internet browsing and we have also begun video and music streaming. Again from home and away in motorhome...... Using the mifi and smarty sim we have not had any buffering or other problems. As far as we understand the fair usage policy and smarty effectively being 3 in another guise , the fair use policy is up to 1000Gb per month..As also described above by another poster, this equates to 24/7 streaming over the entire month to reach that kind of usage. For £25 per month , on a 30 day rolling contract it so far meets our needs .

All being well, our next move will be to remove the sat dish from the motorhome and stream tv etc via mifi/sim /poynting roof fixed antenna.

Last edited:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I live 10 minutes walk from a reasonably sized town within the built up area....Virgin fibre is nowhere to be seen

Best”deal” is Voda land line at £20month for 45mb
Like Jim , paid BT for years 0.5 mb

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back