Is there an order when adding a tow bar and rear air assist? (1 Viewer)

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Took my motorhome to Watling Engineers today to have a tow bar fitted. By the way it is a work of art, but that is not why I am posting. Speaking to the engineer before fitting I mentioned that I was having rear air assist fitted next week by Glide Rite and would that make a difference to his work. He advised that, due to air assist raising the vehicle slightly, it would have been better for that to have been done first so that he could make sure the vehicle level was correct after the work. He did say that it would not be a problem. Has anyone had a problem with levels after air assist has been fitted?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It definitely will affect the height of the tow ball which can be a problem, I had to fit a drop plate to mine so that the twin axle trailer that I towed to Spain was riding level.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Surely the hight will depend on the pressure you put into the bags. And that is likely to change as you find the best pressure to suit your needs.
At any point in time

OP
OP
Conal
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Phill D From what others have said I think he meant that the rear would be higher as the air assist adds to the height even at the lowest setting. I donā€™t know what he could do to prevent this whilst fitting the tow bar.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It definitely will affect the height of the tow ball which can be a problem, I had to fit a drop plate to mine so that the twin axle trailer that I towed to Spain was riding level.
The grey matter is corroded but;
Are 'drop plates' legal? In the strictest sense.
I'm not making a criticism but
somewhere in the dark recesses of what used to be called a brain, it recalls that (again in the strictest sense of legality) they became a no-no.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
The grey matter is corroded but;
Are 'drop plates' legal? In the strictest sense.
I'm not making a criticism but
somewhere in the dark recesses of what used to be called a brain, it recalls that (again in the strictest sense of legality) they became a no-no.
Multi height tow bars are still available, I used to have one on my old Range Rover.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes the minimum height is 375mm. A drop plate is only any use post 2012 if the drop plate was homologated as an addition to that type of bar ,when the tow bar was homologated.Otherwise it is not legal.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Multi height tow bars are still available, I used to have one on my old Range Rover.

Thank you.

The two examples I understand. However the top one is part of a vehicle system specifically for a certain vehicle, as is the second one.
What I'm referring to is a simple square of metal with holes drilled into it.
I'm thinking that, in these days of conformity etc. such use would negate the conformity on the towing system fitted.
This would not apply to the two examples you have shown.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Although Air assist can raise the height of the rear end It's not considerable until you really start to pump them up as you might if you wanted more ground clearance for whatever reason. You generally wouldn't run with them at those sorts of pressure as the ride would be too harsh. Adding air as you load the van means the level stays about the same.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The towball center should be 17 inches above ground level.
All commercially manufactured trailers /caravans etc are built to this level.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I added rear air after i had my tow bracket installed and i didn't notice any major difference in height. My tow bracket (Sawiko) is adjustable in height so i could lower it although the steps are actually pretty big.

I did measure my trailers hitch height and asked the installer to match that which they did.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
The two examples I understand. However the top one is part of a vehicle system specifically for a certain vehicle, as is the second one.
What I'm referring to is a simple square of metal with holes drilled into it.
I'm thinking that, in these days of conformity etc. such use would negate the conformity on the towing system fitted.
This would not apply to the two examples you have shown.

I just wanted to illustrate that approved variable height tow bars are available, the OP would need to find the correct one for his motorhome. I would have thought that pretty much all tow bars are vehicle specific.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The breakdown vans we used had air assist fitted to enable us to adjust the ride hight depending on what trailer or A frame we used. It was a simple job to adjust the pressure and helped with keeping the trailers stable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back