Is there a way of polishing out hedge-scratches on side-windows? (1 Viewer)

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
While we‘ve been away this week in the lovely weather, I noticed that the hedge-scratches/marks on the side windows were becoming a bit obvious. What do folk do/recommend for dealing with these, as it’s sometimes unavoidable having to squeeze in on narrow lanes, though we obviously try to avoid hedge-scuffing.p wherever possible.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
These scratcheds need to be scratched out and polished. There are a couple of you tube videos showing how this is done. In essence you start with a higher grade wet and dry paper working down to very fine Then you take some polish over the area. In principle looks simple. We have the same problem and I have taken the view that yes it can be done but I will wait until there are a lot of scratches on a window then get it carried out by someone more than experienced otherwise I will be doing every scratch every time

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Check out Greygate plastic polish.
Brilliant stuff and we used it in the RAF to polish the plastic side windows on helicopters, also used on the cockpit canopies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Wouldnt you think they would build motorhomes with lightweight metal shutters!? for when you are traveling
They do.
Screenshot_20210417_215050.jpg

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Read somewhere that brasso worked very well, I tried it on a light scratch and it did the trick.
Brasso, jankers, 58 webbing, f252, bulling, get some in....
Chuck a like on here if you know what the hell that all is!

Reactions: DLT

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
While we‘ve been away this week in the lovely weather, I noticed that the hedge-scratches/marks on the side windows were becoming a bit obvious. What do folk do/recommend for dealing with these, as it’s sometimes unavoidable having to squeeze in on narrow lanes, though we obviously try to avoid hedge-scuffing.p wherever possible.
Whichever product you use, be sure to polish in straight lines only. This polarises any scratches leaving them invisible.
Polish in circles & you'll be there this time next year trying to get scratches out.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Brasso, jankers, 58 webbing, f252, bulling, get some in....
Chuck a like on here if you know what the hell that all is!
Cadets at school (80's) and was instantly disciplined for turning up with '58 webbing instead of the usual '37? And then begged to reveal my source as everyone wanted the same...(my military cousin had married an officer in PTC and he had a spare set of kit.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Double glazed glass windows would add too much weight compared to plastic which is easily polished , I’ve found a run of the mill car polish removes light scratches easily or t cut for difficult ones.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Cadets at school (80's) and was instantly disciplined for turning up with '58 webbing instead of the usual '37? And then begged to reveal my source as everyone wanted the same...(my military cousin had married an officer in PTC and he had a spare set of kit.
Yay!!! It was actually fashionable once, now they wouldnt touch it, they want the Gucci stuff ala Who Dares Wins...

I should add to the thread that Brasso should only be used sparingly on minor scratches , it contains ammonia apparently . I used it on a small scratch, follow the line of the scratch, dont rub circles, it worked perfectly for me... wipe it off your window after to ensure no stains

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back