Is there a fIne for having no MOT when off the road, but no SORN? (3 Viewers)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
As you are registering the vehicle in Poland, send the V5 log book back as exported as of today. No problem then as the vehicle is mid registration transfer

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well the answers differ about whether there is an offence and creates an automatic fine.

It also raises the question of who is 'they' that would issue a fine because, as one poster points out the MOT is under the control od DVSA, but are they obliged to cross-check whether VED has been paid? Equally why would DVLA be involved in fining for a breach of rules governed by DVSA? [DVLA's website directs any questions on MOT to DVSA]

I would ensure DVLA know the vehicle is off the road before MOT expires(it is the extended date coming up). Maybe I have to tell DVSA also?

Two posters have had letters from DVLA. If they know the vehicle is off the road, but cannot be SORNED I wonder what their letter to me would say.

[For Barsteward. Got tax covered as it is due 5 days before MOT expires]

A tangled web.

Geoff
Many replies about SORNING my vehicle in Poland have ignored the fact that by law the vehicle must be in the UK to do it, so I cannot.

Geoff
You can
They do not know where it is and probably do not care as any offence committed using the vehicle outside the UK isn't their concern really.

I would just sorn it and deal with the mot later. Unless you plan to re register it in poland in which case i would just notify DVLA of permanent export

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
It is a fallacy that using a motor vehicle on a road without having a valid Mot and not taxed will invalidate the Insurance that is in place.
It may be reduced from whatever it is, (ie fully comp. Third party fire and theft or whatever) to the absolute minimum required to comply with legislation but the driver will have legal Insurance.

If travelling from the Balkans to the uk without Tax and MOT (which is semantics with regards to insurances) your thing so be it.
I merely tried to point out the law in the uk. I have no knowledge of the European law with regard to whether or not you would be legal to travel through Europe with none of the legal requirements of a UK registered vehicle.
I was not trying to provoke an argument. I was in fact trying to be helpful,

I obviously failed miserably.

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Whilst this is no use to your situation in Poland, here is a direct quote for vehicles in the UK ref MOT and vehicle being on the road. Please note the use of the words "being used" and how that may (or may not) be interpreted:

Report a vehicle with no MOT
Broken Link Removed to report a car, van, motorcycle or other vehicle that does not have an MOT.
You can only report a vehicle with no MOT to the police if it’s being used on a road.
You need the vehicle’s:
  • number plate (registration number)
  • make and model
  • colour
If the vehicle is abandoned the police cannot deal with it. You need to report abandoned vehicles to your local council.

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
Cannot take action against a vehicle with no MOT.

What happens next
The police will investigate your report and the driver may get a fine. The maximum fine is £1,000.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Failed MOT Nov 2019. Thinking I would repair it sooner than I did I left the DD for the tax in place.

Tax expired 31/10/2020 - letter from DVLA - MOT it and tax it or SORN it

Gone for MOT today
Yes, because the tax expired... No mot, no tax... So either sorn or get it mot tested so you CAN tax it.
Other than checking for validity of the mot and insurance neither are a DVLA concern.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
As you are registering the vehicle in Poland, send the V5 log book back as exported as of today. No problem then as the vehicle is mid registration transfer

Unfortunately there are major problems re-registering a RHD vehicle in Poland and from 1st Jan it is said that it will not be possible at all. That is why I am hedging my bets by covering the situation with its current UK registration.

Geoff

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Yes, because the tax expired... No mot, no tax... So either sorn or get it mot tested so you CAN tax it.
Other than checking for validity of the mot and insurance neither are a DVLA concern.

How does that help the OP ?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If travelling from the Balkans to the uk without Tax and MOT (which is semantics with regards to insurances) your thing so be it.
I merely tried to point out the law in the uk. I have no knowledge of the European law with regard to whether or not you would be legal to travel through Europe with none of the legal requirements of a UK registered vehicle.
I was not trying to provoke an argument. I was in fact trying to be helpful,

I obviously failed miserably.

We aren't having an argument. You were trying to be helpful. No worries.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
If the MOT is not due for a month or two, can you not SORN it for a couple of weeks, then re-tax it before MOT and insurance expires, thus giving you a bit of breathing space and allowing you to get the van here

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
If the MOT is not due for a month or two, can you not SORN it for a couple of weeks, then re-tax it before MOT and insurance expires, thus giving you a bit of breathing space and allowing you to get the van here

Tax expires before MOT so i can re-tax it anyway, but as I said in my OP by law I am not allowed out of the house. I was just asking if there is an offence of no MOT unless SORNed.

Geoff

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Tax expires before MOT so i can re-tax it anyway, but as I said in my OP by law I am not allowed out of the house. I was just asking if there is an offence of no MOT unless SORNed.

Geoff
SORN was part of the 'continuous road tax' legislation. The law states that if it isn't taxed then it must be SORNed. As far as I'm aware the MoT and SORN are unconnected.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back