Is there a catch? Adria vision 707 (1 Viewer)

alexbg

Free Member
Sep 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello, I'm currently looking for our first motorhome. For the past few weeks I've been to any motorhome dealer I drive past and I drive a lot for work. I've probably sat in over 300 motorhomes. Good ones were a benimar melio with two drop down beds, a autotrail with large u shaped lounge and a rollerteam again with the u shaped lounge and drop down bed. The more I searched the more I learnt and then got carried away with new vans. Then I saw an adriatik 707 with rear bed that goes up and down, above cab bed, garage, good sized bathroom and nice fittings for a good price in an A class van.

We are a family of four, both in our 30's and a 4 and 6 year old. The kids and I ride bikes all day, the wife however likes spa days so won't be out with us that much. Planning on using the van most weekends for nights away in Cornwall/Devon and I will put my bike in the garage and go around the country to various bike parks on my own as well. Maybe one or two weeks away as a family touring the UK and Europe. Will the kids be OK in the drop down bed? Does this home sound perfect for us? Price wise they are around £30k. My top criteria for a motorhome is reliability. My budget is a lot more but this motorhome seems ideal. Is it?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
The Motorhome you describe is certainly out there for your budget, my only concern is your age and do you have category “C1” on your license as your ideal van with your family’s possessions and bikes sounds like it’s going to be over 3.5t....

But it can be done if you haven’t, just needs more thinking...

Good luck and welcome..?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
How old is the Adria? What is its maximum weight? If it is at or below 3500kg I fear your payload will be too low to take your family and all their bits and pieces on holiday. But If it is above 3500kg you will need a C1 licence to be able to drive it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

alexbg

Free Member
Sep 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Looking around 2008/9. Dry weight I've read is 3166. Family is 160 kg, bikes 25kg, 90kg of water. Leaves us 50kg for clothes/food etc. Unless I'm missing something?

I don't have a C1, if I did I would probably be looking at other motorhomes. The wife hired a motorhome for a birthday present for me but it was 3850kg so we couldn't go and lost the deposit.

90% of the time it will just be me and the kids so will have an extra 50kg (the wife is only little) and we will be taking what we need for a weekend away so nothing really. If I need to sacrifice something for when all four of us are aboard then that will be ok.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looking around 2008/9. Dry weight I've read is 3166. Family is 160 kg, bikes 25kg, 90kg of water. Leaves us 50kg for clothes/food etc. Unless I'm missing something?

I don't have a C1, if I did I would probably be looking at other motorhomes. The wife hired a motorhome for a birthday present for me but it was 3850kg so we couldn't go and lost the deposit.

90% of the time it will just be me and the kids so will have an extra 50kg (the wife is only little) and we will be taking what we need for a weekend away so nothing really. If I need to sacrifice something for when all four of us are aboard then that will be ok.
Hi Alex, welcome to the fun house. :giggle:

I'm afraid that you will not have enough payload for your family etc with that MH, even if you somehow managed to stay within the 3500kg the weight has to be distributed correctly over the axles so they don't get overloaded and you might therefore overload the rear one due to the items in the garage. Below is a spreadsheet I did (when I was called Mel B) to help you work out the effect of putting items behind the rear axle.

A mistake that some newbies make is to get one as big as they can thinking it's best to get as much space as possible but comes at a cost not only in terms of reduced payload but parking, driving and handling as it's very easy to swipe the large rear end when manoeuvring.

It would be better to get a shorter and lighter MH to get a better payload or take your C1 but that alone will cost over £1,000 I suspect.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nearly forgot, I'm not trying to extort dosh out of you but by joining the forum (£15 pa) you can then download the excellent resources which are free to members, namely The Buyer's Guide and The Security Guide, both cost £7.99 to non-members.

As a paid up member you can also post as much as you want (non-subscribers only have 5 posts). You'll also get discounts too which could easily cover your membership cost many times.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the trick to using a 3500kg motorhome with a family is put the bikes and anything you can in a trailer weighing less than 750kg

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I have the sister model, a 2009 647 which is a lovely van & I've had very few problems with it in the 5yrs I've had it.

One thing I would say is check payload is sufficient for your needs.

And do join the forum, £15 very well spent.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
So you are not going to have any crockery, cutlery, pots and pans, TV, toys for the kids, BBQ, chairs and tables for sitting outside awning etc? You are not going to get many bikes in if all you have allowed is 25kg. And 50kg for food, drinks, and cloths is way too low.

And just be aware that manufacturers' quoted payloads are as reliable as politicians' promises.

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010

The 3166 kilos weight is probably for the base MH without extras. Have it weighted in the condition it is sold. There will be a difference.

Rule of thumb: an A-Class over 7 meters with a B license is not practical, even with 2 people. With a family it is impossible to remain within 3.5T.

If you want to go with your family and a B license, look at a shorter motorhome, coach build (they are lighter) and as said before, with a trailer for the heavy stuff.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never going to work at that weight in addition to what others have said you need to add 100-15O kg for the van being overweight. They rarely come out of the factory at the design weight.
For your use you need to be looking at vans with at least 1000 kg payload.

:welco:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back