Is the Motorhome OK (1 Viewer)

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
We're off to sunny Colchester this Saturday for a few days, and as newbies this is the first time we've been out in cold weather.

Is there anything we must or should have done before going away?

The fresh water and hot water tanks are under the habitation seating. The waste tank is under the van, neither the waste tank or the pipes going to it appear to be lagged or anything.

Obviously when in the motorhome the heater is more than likely going to be on, we are likely to be driving about visiting relatives so the van is likely to be left unattended without heat for just a couple of hours a day so hoping the tanks inside should be OK, but will the heat be enough to stop the waste pipes/tank from freezing overnight?

Is the Motorhome going to be OK?

Thanks

Greg and Tracey

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi Greg and Tracey

I think you'll be fine. Will it be possible to leave your water heater on while you're not in the motorhome? If so, that should certainly stop that freezing up. The only other thing I can think of is to leave your waste water tap open so the water goes straight into a bucket (or similar) rather than into the tank.

The fresh water tank should be fine inside the van.

Hope you have a great time away!

OP
OP
GregM

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Yes mike, normally we only turn the water heater off at night but this time will leave it on 24/7.

Thanks for the waste suggestion, I had wondered if that would be better.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Just make sure to empty all the water tanks and taps when you come back - dont leave them to freeze up xxxxxx

am sure you will have a great time

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
You should be fine - weve been away in winter and not had any problems. Good advice to leave the water heater on as much as poss and drain down when back home again.
Cheers
Martin

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Greg

we live in Colchester, have you planned where you are staying yet ?

There is a great CL not far from the town center, we stayed there while we were full time and are friendly with the owners.. http://www.thelodgecl.co.uk/

hope you have a great week end, if you need any other advice or help re Colchester let me know

OP
OP
GregM

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Thanks Jim

That is where we are staying:)

Last year our first trip in the van was to Colchester and we stayed on a CL in Ardliegh but it is closed this time of year. We found 'The Lodge' and that actually suits us better as my parents live in the town, near what I call the Williams and Griffins car park (is it still W&G).

OP
OP
GregM

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Jim

Just thought thanks for the recommendation by the way, although we had already booked it's good to have someone recommend a site.

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
out in cold

have a great time, dont forget to drain toilet water,, you should be o k for warmth this weekend,,, after all it is valentines day ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile::thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Jim

That is where we are staying:)

Last year our first trip in the van was to Colchester and we stayed on a CL in Ardliegh but it is closed this time of year. We found 'The Lodge' and that actually suits us better as my parents live in the town, near what I call the Williams and Griffins car park (is it still W&G).

Hi

It's still W&G ...

We live near the Priory about 10min walk from town center ..

I was there last week visiting another couple with an RV, ended up helping them extract the RV from the soft ground.. :Doh: .. now left for France..

Take care on the grass and stay away from the fence on the left bordering the country club..

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have just had a couple of nights in Colchester. To get a hardstanding we stayed at Colchester Camping, boy thats expensive, £28 a night for RV and 2 adults. Good quality pitches though.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
cold bed

Nothing to do with the water & pipes etc but if you are staying in the van overnight wear a woolen hat in bed,. not very sexy on Valentines weekend"!!!! but you will lose a lot of heat from an uncovered head if the weather is cold:ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
following on from mikemoss suggestion re: leave waste tap open, if it looks like feezing then check the drain valve from time to time.....a dripping tap will freeze quicker than a closed one and as you move around the van it will drip a bit.
if it starts to freeze then a T towel soaked in boiling water and placed over the valve will thaw it.:thumb:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
IT will be fine because your using it and unless you like sitting around in sub zero temps then nothing should freeze. We were away for a month at Christmas in our Kontiki and the only thing that froze occasionally was the kitchen sink drain which for some strange reason Swift decided to run it under the outside of the van to the main grey tank. It only happened a couple of times when it was mega cold. -12 one night wild camping in Devon. A bit of warm water soon shifted it.

OP
OP
GregM

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Hi
Take care on the grass and stay away from the fence on the left bordering the country club..

Is the country club what used to be Kingsford Park Hotel?

Larrynwin:
We have just had a couple of nights in Colchester. To get a hardstanding we stayed at Colchester Camping, boy thats expensive, £28 a night for RV and 2 adults. Good quality pitches though

I stayed there once years ago as a tugger, good pitches but wouldn't go back because of the price, would rather use the Lorry Park up the road:ROFLMAO:.

I suppose it's OK if you've just come accross from Harwich or somewhere like that.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Is the country club what used to be Kingsford Park Hotel?

I stayed there once years ago as a tugger, good pitches but wouldn't go back because of the price, would rather use the Lorry Park up the road:ROFLMAO:.

I suppose it's OK if you've just come accross from Harwich or somewhere like that.

Think I'm getting soft, its cold so prefer hook up as well as hard standing in winter .

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Just make sure to empty all the water tanks and taps when you come back - dont leave them to freeze up xxxxxx

am sure you will have a great time

Leave all the taps OPEN too- this will stop any water freezing in them and buggering the seals up. Just be careful when you fill up after and switch the pump on!
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
GregM

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Thanks for all the advise, it's greatly appreciated.

THere is an open invite for anyone in the area to pop in for a cuppa but we do not have plans while we're there so do not know when we will be on/off site.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back