Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
It's any Ford vehicle that uses the Tibbe key.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
It's any Ford vehicle that uses the Tibbe key.
We used to cut all sorts of keys when we were in business ... The Tibbe key was one of the easiest to read and reproduce. I had a case where a customer locked his vehicle leaving the keys in the footwell where I was able to read the key and cut him a spare.

I would suggest owners never leave their Tibbe keys on view, particularly in public places such as bars or restaurants!

EDIT: It was not just Fords, some older Jags also have Tibbe keys.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Who on Earth would want to steal a Ford????..................it's not even German for heavens sake.............:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Jesus !!!, we came very close to buying a new Ford Transit based Chausson earlier this year as it was the cheaper option than the Fiat Ducato but it stretched our finances to far so backed out.
If we had bought it and having seen the lock picking video I would not sleep at night. :eek:

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
Available on an internet auction site for ÂŁ60, cheap way to get hold of a Ford.

OP
OP
Norfolk Nomad

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
You can increase the security pretty easily and cheaply. Here is what I have done so far.

Replaced the driver’s door lock with a Hykee lock.

Disconnected the passenger door linkage so it can’t be unlocked from the outside.

Pedal box that locks over the brake and clutch pedals.

Drivers seat turned and locked in the rear position.

Sigma cat 1 alarm bypassing the central locking.

120 decibel fire alarm warbler added to alarm.

Next on the list is, move the OBD port out of the way and replace it with a dummy wired to the inverter, so when they plug their equipment in, it gets fried.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As we've been through previously many times Fords are no more difficult to steal without the keys than any other vehicle with a Cat 2 immobiliser.

Fords are being stolen to order for the parts, not because they're easier to steal.

A Cat 2 immobiliser is there to prevent opportunistic theft, not defeat a "pro"

I've watched someone (there was a legitimate reason) start my Ducato with no keys in about 30 seconds.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Who on Earth would want to steal a Ford????..................it's not even German for heavens sake.............:whistle::whistle::whistle:
Do you not know who loves Ford Transits???????????????
a little naive maybe, you must mention them as the Police might knock on your door and charge you with HATE CRIME.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
You can increase the security pretty easily and cheaply. Here is what I have done so far.

Replaced the driver’s door lock with a Hykee lock.

Disconnected the passenger door linkage so it can’t be unlocked from the outside.

God! Have you not heard of a crane lift and a flatbed lorry?? A group of people with one lifted a 4 tonne generator after disconnecting it from the grid system leaving a local village in the dark near here. Not suspicious as they even had a power-gen lorry to do it with,, that had been nicked earlier. All you can do is slow them up but if it is wanted they will have it. Very efficient workers! can clear a house in minutes when it takes Pickford all day. Cleared my workshop in 5 minutes, but got seen so they scarpered and dumped the van they had along with 6 drive on mowers and all my stuff.

Pedal box that locks over the brake and clutch pedals.

Drivers seat turned and locked in the rear position.

Sigma cat 1 alarm bypassing the central locking.

120 decibel fire alarm warbler added to alarm.

Next on the list is, move the OBD port out of the way and replace it with a dummy wired to the inverter, so when they plug their equipment in, it gets fried.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
It was not just Fords, some older Jags also have Tibbe keys.

Aaaaaaargh! :( Just as I was starting to feel smug for having a Peugeot base vehicle for my motorhome, you bring this up. I have an 8 year old Jaguar X-Type, a model that was introduced when Jaguar was owned by Ford, so I am pretty sure that my car will have these locks. The only good news is that, as it is an old diesel, it is probably worthless anyway. :D

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Fords are being stolen to order for the parts, not because they're easier to steal.

That's half right, they are stolen for parts. But they are an easy target. Many police forces have issued warnings specifically to 2010 or later Ford owners and I think West Yorkshire police actually wrote to every single ford transit owner in the county warning them that their vehicles were particularly vulnerable and that they need extra security.

OP
OP
Norfolk Nomad

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
GWAYGWAY: I didn't realise you knew my name:D If I had a crane lift and a flat bed at my disposal I would be going after higher valued vehicles than my 30K motorhome.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back