Is setting off always Stressful? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We are due to get the ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao on Saturday. The van, kept in storage about 5 miles from home, has been on EHU since we last travelled to Inverness in October. So, thinking we had 4 clear days to get everything ready, we went to the van with the first load of gear.

The can was cold, so we put the gas heating on. The van soon warmed up but then we got the dreaded red light on the unfathomable Truma controls. We switched it off and checked the gas (plenty), water (it should not need any for heating only) and we were on EHU. So tried out the burners on the cooker. When two were lit, it was fine, light the third and the pressure dropped off. To cut a long and dull story short, we rang Danum Leisure in Doncaster. Peter there, said it sounded like a failing regulator and agreed to look at the van if we brought it straight away. An hour later he had diagnosed it as a failing regulator and replaced it with a brand new one. He tested the system for pressure and leaks etc and all was well.
Luckily for us, Danum Leisure (who'd offered us excellent service before on our habitation door) were prepared to offer immediate help and were very supportive throughout. If only we'd gone to them when we bought the use van!
We will hopefully finalise packing tomorrow without further mishap but it does seem that we've never had a lengthy trip without some 'last minute' issues. Last summer it was the habitation door, the trip before battery and electric issues and now this.

I'm on my second beer. And we do this for the fun?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Even though we keep a fair bit of kit in the van, we still find it a bit stressful getting ready for the off and strangely, after all the faffing about loading up and gathering everything together, once the wheels are turning, we say "Well, if we've forgotten anything, tough !" :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It also takes a good few miles down the road to stop worrying about what you have not done at home, like lock the door!

Even though we keep a fair bit of kit in the van, we still find it a bit stressful getting ready for the off and strangely, after all the faffing about loading up and gathering everything together, once the wheels are turning, we say "Well, if we've forgotten anything, tough !" :)
Ditto!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Certainly we've found it very stressful especially thinking of everything you need. Check, check and check again and I absolutely hate turning back.
Hopefully it's only a minor thing that's been forgotten and I usually fill up on our way at local place and we buy food (usually at 04.00) and gives time to think and check. Fortunately only had to go back once in 10 years (hopefully not famous last words).
As I get to the motorway, unless it's extremely important, then bugger it. It stays.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I have an EXIT list I keep in the van which covers all the things I have taken out, all the things that should be in the van and all the things I need to do in the house before leaving it unoccupied. Saves a lot of worry (y)

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
We were less than 10 minutes down the motorway on way to ferry when husband showed me one of his fillings had just fallen out! Sunday morning, not back home for over 5 months, what do we do. Drive on and b........ it. They have dentists in Spain!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It also takes a good few miles down the road to stop worrying about what you have not done at home, like lock the door!

Ditto!
i go back & check & again & is the gas off , did I turn off both water supplies ?:D : I make lists for what has to be loaded & go & what has to be locked/turned off & tick them off. Still doesn't stop me rechecking.:LOL:

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Surprisingly the only list I use is last minute jottings of extras to take or to do. Maybe I am just too organised anyway as I seem to spend sleepless hours foe weeks before going through what I have or haven’t put in and try to cover most eventualities so there is less to do last minute. I usually just have a quiet wander round while husband is running the engine to check and contemplate! Then we’re off!
One list I do is while we are away I make a note of things we should have fetched or should bring more or less off.
Made a few mistakes in what we have or haven’t brought with us but only minor ones. Fingers crossed!!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Oh yes!! But so worth it !!!

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Deep joy! The fun continues. In the wake of storm Eleanor we set off to the nearest garage that still sells LPG to fill up with that and also to check the tyre pressures.
The LPG nozzle was faulty and resulted in liquid gas (is this right?) dripping out of the nozzle, whilst connected to the van and onto my fingers. The result a freezing numb finger. Pointed it out to the owner who looked at the nozzle who said "oh yeah, needs a new washer".
After putting ÂŁ84 worth of deisel in the van did the tyre pressures. Because my finger was frozen I struggled to put the final valve cap on and it dropped down into the void between the wheel, trim or hubcap never to be seen again. (Probably,with the odd socks and teaspoons left at the bottom of the washing machine and washing up bowl respectively). Cursing, I stood up only to smash my skull on the bloody wing mirror. Because I was seeing stars, I didn't bother looking for the effing valve cap and just got into the van and drove back to the storage shed. Enough's enough! Two days to departure with only the water and bog to sort. Or so I want to believe.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Sedge is with Puddleduck - only worries till she discovers what we've forgotten. However the vast majority of things can be bought wherever if they're all that important. She most likely won't like the new one half as much as the one she left at home though!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Think of us full-timers. Nervous wrecks.
Need a drink every morning to get over it!!

And every evening!
Yeh yer right, I forgot we needed milk today and the naffin shop nearly shut!

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Mind you, after just having spend the longest ever time (over 2 months) on a site, I will need to check carefully everything is in the right place before moving on.

Especially as the co-pilot, Mrs D, who usually jumps up to lock fridge, cutlery drawer etc is in uk!

No stress, I'll just have to pull over and block the N332!

Always look forward to moving on though.
We have said that when we don't have a big grin when releasing the handbrake to set off, that is the time to hang the motorhome keys up.

We're still grinning!!!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I find setting off for big trips is usually OK. We plan ahead, sort the van out the weekend before, get packing up in plenty of time and pack the stuff from the house so it can be stowed quickly when we get to the van (in storage) plus we have the dogs with us so the exit from the house is pretty easy.

Arriving on site is the hard bit. We always have a bit of a ding dong about where to pitch, which way to face, which awning to use etc etc and the dogs are a pain being all excited about arriving new.

Short trips are the opposite. Leave last minute, chuck stuff in whatever bags we can find so stowing them when we get to the van is a nightmare. Dogs left with kids so stressful exit from the house. Always against the clock as leave after work and need to get somewhere before a certain time..

Arriving though is a relief.. We made it.. We are here. Park, kettle or bottle opened out. Bed made. Telly on. Sleep.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
It's always the same for me. Despite the fact that we have a very comprehensive spread sheet detailing everything to be taken, and we don't leave for 4 weeks, and we've done the big tours several times before, I've started worrying, losing sleep and stockpiling food already. Can't help it, it's just the way I am. However, husband won't start doing hubby type stuff until the day before we leave. Opposites attract eh?
P1020403.JPG

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We always prepare before we set off. On the day its mainly fresh food and passports, money etc. I hate doing things in a rush.
Closing the house down is more of a faff to us,
Phil

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I agree that getting prepared is the most stressful part of the trip.

Most organised, we are [Yoda mode on]

We have a Trip Book which is one of those A4 plastic display books. Every document is in the chronological order in which it will be needed, bookwise. Starting with the outbound ferry/chunnel booking details. Next, printouts for stopovers, aires or campsites on our route. [Now retired and having fewer time constraints that section might be binned apart from the first night.]

It includes the What to Bring Checklist which keeps evolving. Also, the print out of the budget spreadsheet for that trip. There is also a short checklist of reminders before de-pitching and driving off. The MH documents, insurance policies, ACSI and EHIC cards are at the back.

In the middle we collect the leaflets and tickets for the attractions we visited, and various receipts for meals out, shopping, tolls, diesel etc.

May the Fun be with you! [Yoda mode off] :D

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
John packs a bag with his stuff the day before, I spend about a week sorting everything out before a long trip, ferry booked early ticket printed out, 2 copies, one for each of. Fuel and gas filled up en route. Keep all documents together ready to take, also photocopies and leave a set with family. Van usually almost ready to go anyway, we bring it home before departure to load the bike and gear.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We have a lot of stuff duplicated in the MH - duvets, covers, towels and all the bathroom stuff, so we do not have to remember those. Even chargers are duplicated. Basia is pretty good at shopping for home and the MH, and we usually have meals prepared for the first 2-3 nights because it is usually 3 longish days from Poland to get to Dunkirk to cross for MOT.

Clothes are usually packed well in advance as we have plenty to spare and any last-minute stuff is just put in cabin bag sized cases, which we take to fly home periodically, and left by the front door, thrown on MH fixed bed and dealt with en-route.

Of course all the loading is much easier for those who can keep MHs at home - especially since our yard has proper EHU point, water and waste disposal, with a Shell station across the road.

The most important things for us to remember is the 'document stuff', for MH, passports, money, cards and vitally the smartphone, which is also the satnav. As said above, travel docs plus lists of websites etc, are in a folder in order that they will be needed.

As many have said most things can be bought on the road.

The house is not much of a worry now as we live on the first floor and Basia's son and DiL downstairs, so anything we forget to do is solved with a phone call and security is not a problem as they are both police officers and have an Alsatian:)

So all in all we seemed to be quite well organised and have not forgotten anything important in 15-20 trips away over 7 years., only a charger once but that was easy to buy. Consequently we are quite relaxed about setting off.

Wishing you all Good Travelling in 2018.:)

Geoff

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
A friend (who shall remain nameless, but has a Dethleff registration plate number......) was discussing her packing and said she leaves her 'cupboard of lurve' till last. Kinda fascinated and not a little afraid (like clicking on those ad-bait links featuring films of crocodiles fighting great white sharks) I asked what she meant. Disappointingly, it meant virtually their entire payload of Bountys, Kit Kats, Lion Bars, Fudge, Cream eggs etc etc!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back