Is Romania realy that bad ? (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Doesn't seem such a popular place to visit from my information gathered on here..Anyone spent time in their van there recently ?

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
We were there last year, stayed a few days "wilding" on our way from Bulgaria. Had a stopover near Dracula's castle. Campsites are far and few between and command a high price for the standard there is. Roads leave a lot to be desired, It's not somewhere i'd be racing back to.

Pete

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
My son was thare last year would he go back I asked him yes its right in place's neads a lot of infrastructure in place's
Lots of EU mony getting wasted
Corruption still a problem
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Never been to the country but I know a few Romanians who live here and they're great people, really hard working.

One of the things I hear about a lot in addition to the bad roads are the standards of driving.

Apr 21, 2014
Hertford
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
9years
Just left Romania after best trip in many years. Simple good sites available on Campercontact, wild mountain scenery and beautiful historic towns. Kids trying to persuade me to go again next year. Roads harsh in some places and few roads by-passing towns made for slower than usual progress but that let us see so much. We went to Transylvania then Mamamures which was awesome. Heard wolves howling from one site, saw a brown bear (from a distance thank goodness), enjoyed the driving on mostly quiet roads and were treated well by everyone we met. Can’t recommend a visit there enough

j0hn

Free Member
May 14, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Complete n00b - starting now!!
I'm Romanian - if you need any info just ask :)
Generally speaking the entire road infrastructure is 30-50 years behind Western countries in terms of spread and quality. It takes twice as much to get through A to B, not to mention you have to be extra careful as people don't respect other traffic members.
This is the entire motorway network, about 480 miles that currently begins and ends nowhere (Yellow lines are under construction and Black lines are still to be built.. years away)
map_en.gif

To put things in perspective, this is on a country twice as big as Hungary, which has 931 miles criss crossing the country! (Green bits are planned and red under construction)
970px-Ungarn_Autobahnnetz_03_2018.png

Progress is slow as most funds get stolen by neo-communists (same people from lower echelons in Ceausescu's time) or their offpsrings/network in power.
But there are breathtaking places and I would love to go back in the motorhome, actually I'm thinking of a long trip in the next 2-3 years.

Last edited:

chrisgog

Free Member
Dec 24, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Hi. Can you advise what I need to get for a motorhome over 3.5ton please for road tolls. Several country treats campers over 3.5ton differently . Not sure what category we would be and can we buy online? Thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi. Can you advise what I need to get for a motorhome over 3.5ton please for road tolls. Several country treats campers over 3.5ton differently . Not sure what category we would be and can we buy online? Thanks
I don't think you need anything for Romania. Austria and Switzerland are the places which do and folk normally get what they need as they approach the border. Have a search on here for Go boxes (Austria) and the Vignette for Switzerland.

chrisgog

Free Member
Dec 24, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Thanks. I have obtained those as I am in Hungary now. Just planning in case we enter Romania

Reactions: DBK
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We’ll not get to Romania until we can go away for longer holidays. But it will then be on the list.

For more info check out some of the motorhome and cycling blogs ... yes, there are problems with roads and also packs of wild dogs (particularly for cycle touring) but they seem to be outweighed by the beauty of the country and the welcome of the people.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i also worked their a few years ago my son still work there from time to time traveling through and working their there is a big difrance my brother in law owns and menages apartments and corruption is a problem even still traveling through a country on holiday and getting thing's done to get a job done on a day to day basis totally difrant
bill

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, I would be interested in your recommended stops for Romania as we intend to visit Greece next year and return via Bulgaria, Romania and a few other countries leading back to Luxembourg.

chrisgog

Free Member
Dec 24, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
We are staying in camping Belgrade Avala just south of the capital city in Serbia. Lovely camp and the owner is so welcoming. He makes his own wine and has a great cellar. Don't be afraid to drive through Serbia too. The people are lovely. The Romanian border is the other side of the Danube . Great stopover.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are staying in camping Belgrade Avala just south of the capital city in Serbia. Lovely camp and the owner is so welcoming. He makes his own wine and has a great cellar. Don't be afraid to drive through Serbia too. The people are lovely. The Romanian border is the other side of the Danube . Great stopover.
Was getting insurance for Serbia difficult?

chrisgog

Free Member
Dec 24, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
No I checked safeguard insurance and we were covered and LV medical insurance too. So we just decided to go in the day before. At the border we showed passport and logbook and straight in.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
It's just personal experience. In other parts it is said its OK but I went to the Black Sea resort and definitely would never consider returning no matter what the temptation.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for this, it has opened OK and It will be very helpful for our forward planing. I too intend to spend time on the Black Sea coast , then head across to Bucharest.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
We're in Bulgaria at the moment, have been at Obzor on the Black Sea for a week now and intend driving home through Romania next Wednesday. We would have preferred to have driven back via Serbia as it's quicker and easier, but our friends who we're travelling with have not got the necessary paperwork for their dog.

Pete

chrisgog

Free Member
Dec 24, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Well we are in Romania now. For our motorehome 3.8ton they insisted on calling it a caravan and we got the vignette for 3€ for 7 days and category A. Ask at the border where to buy it. Otherwise do it online. We also saw them selling them at post office. Our van broke down and was repaired by Fiat at Sibui. Our campsite owner at Saleste booked us in within 2 days. Lovely people. Impressed so far with this country.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As I have mentioned on here recently, I'm following a Dutch biker riding from India, all over the place and currently in Turkey. What has struck me is the similarity of places rather than differences. One barren landscape is much like another barren landscape, one forested mountain is much like another forested mountain. People are all the same, friendly and generous on the whole and even Mongolian herders are glued to their mobile phones.

So instead of "is it safe to go there", is the better question "what will I gain from going that far ?".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back