Is resealing a thing? (1 Viewer)

Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
Just been told that we need to have all our external seals redone as they have shrunk.
Seals as in Mastic type seals, not rubber window/door seals.

I don’t see this in the maintenance schedule from the manufacturer as something that you would expect to do after a period of time. I can imagine needing to do this eventually, say after 10years, but the implication I have is it should be done on a regular basis.
Also should a seal condition check be part of a habitation check?

Interested in everyone’s views.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I don’t see how you can as most of the seal will be hidden from view and applied when they put two panels together. You may be able to clean the top up and apply a bit more but I doubt if it will stick.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I cleared back and resealed part of my main skylight on my 2007 Murvi last year after it had started allowed slight water ingress. When the warm weather arrives again, and I have a few days to spare, I will be completing the task and, possibly having a look at the others.
The trouble is these days, I have to be in the mood. :unsure:

OP
OP
iain26
Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
I’ve been told the plan is to remove the mouldings covering the joints, resell and fit new mouldings across the whole van.
These are the joints where the main wall and roof panels are put together as [art of the manufacturing process. It does not involve things like windows or skylights.

Has anyone had this done or had it recommended on a habitation check?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I’ve been told the plan is to remove the mouldings covering the joints, resell and fit new mouldings across the whole van.
These are the joints where the main wall and roof panels are put together as [art of the manufacturing process. It does not involve things like windows or skylights.

Has anyone had this done or had it recommended on a habitation check?
if its an Autotrail, it's not that uncommon. I had to do similar on my Bessacar a few years back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
How old was the Bessacar when you had it done please.
it was a 2007, I had it done in 2015 from memory, it was 4 vans ago now. The sealant just became brittle and started to leak. I done it myself, didn't separate the panels as that a massive job. I had all the old sealant scraped out and resealed.

OP
OP
iain26
Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
it was a 2007, I had it done in 2015 from memory, it was 4 vans ago now. The sealant just became brittle and started to leak. I done it myself, didn't separate the panels as that a massive job. I had all the old sealant scraped out and resealed.
Thanks. Mine is 8 years old which ties in with yours.
The work is being done in the factory so potentially should be done properly.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Used to be recommended to reseal every 3 years back in the 80's not that hardly anyone did.
Shouldn't be necessary with modern sealants.

As your van is going back to the factory are they doing it under the water ingress warranty?

OP
OP
iain26
Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
Used to be recommended to reseal every 3 years back in the 80's not that hardly anyone did.
Shouldn't be necessary with modern sealants.

As your van is going back to the factory are they doing it under the water ingress warranty?
The warranty question is still to be had. The difficulty is going to be not having a Hab Check done in the last 12 months as we were away when it was due and it slipped through the net when we got back of course.

The van is in to have the awning replaced and to investigate water dripping from the front “pod” area.
So far we have been told the awning fixings are covered in condensation and the internal wallboards are damp around the fixings. Plus the sealant needs replacing because it has shrunk back. And there is no water ingress, water dripping is caused by condensation build up in the plastic pod surrounding the panoramic window in the roof.
Strange it only leaks when it rains though!!

There are further conversations still to be had I think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
The warranty question is still to be had. The difficulty is going to be not having a Hab Check done in the last 12 months as we were away when it was due and it slipped through the net when we got back of course.

The van is in to have the awning replaced and to investigate water dripping from the front “pod” area.
So far we have been told the awning fixings are covered in condensation and the internal wallboards are damp around the fixings. Plus the sealant needs replacing because it has shrunk back. And there is no water ingress, water dripping is caused by condensation build up in the plastic pod surrounding the panoramic window in the roof.

good luck with that. Used to have the condensation issue in the pod as well. Normally when we were skiing and then would come home and the kids would get soaked as water came down where the light fittings are.

I don't want to be bearer of bad news as I don't know for sure. But, you will do well to get a goodwill gesture if you missed a hab check. I would take what you can get. How come it is going back to the factory though? presumably if that's the case they have agreed to do the work and that would probably mean under warranty. Unlike a manufacturer to take it on without agreeing that, would normally be a dealer with a repair shop.
would love to know how you get on.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
How old is your van, make would help. Sealants these days don't shrink back, they may part from the surface they are adhered to if there is excessive movement or not applied properly.
I'm confused as to your question though, is the hab check telling you there is damp inside ? who is doing the hab check and why is the van going back to the factory ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

You are going to need some good luck for them to pick up the tab. Having missed a damp check that gives them the excuse they need to get out of paying.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Long flexible roof? You should check the sealant around skylights and roof joins regularly, same with walls and windows. Pay attention also to little items like marker lights, high brake lights, camera mounts, these can let in a lot of water over time. Yes modern sealants are better than they used to be but they can and do fail and most motorhomes out there are over 10 years old, so do check them. Chances are your seals will be good for 20 years, some though seem to leak after 20 minutes. For the 15minutes it takes to thoroughly check, it's well worth doing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back