Is PayPal as secure as a Credit card for purchases (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just thinking about Monarch refunds, if you paid with your credit card then you have some hope of a refund. How about purchases using PayPal, are these as secure for refunds as a plain credit card.. Just wondered...(y)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I think so,but try Money Saving Expert site,er indoors says it's all on there. Debit card payments also obtainable via your bank.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On normal purchases probably better as they always come down in favour of the customer, they refund you and deduct the money from the customers account or bank account.
In the case of Monarch they are not going to be able to get their money back so I can't see them refunding unless they really have to, knowing eBay/PayPal they will have a get out clause in the small print.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
NO!!!!

I bought new car parts some £350 using PayPal the dealer said there was delay and could only ship a part-order or if I wanted to avoid extra cost i could wait 2-3 weeks. After 3 weeks I contacted them again, he claimed to get it sorted next week. Then went quiet, I tried to resolve the matter over the email, failed to get a proper response. Finally contacted PayPal to raise a complaint, who without informing me sat on it for another 2 weeks, then closed the complaint (again without contacting me) when I asked what they were doing, their response was "Sorry 6 weeks have elapsed since the transaction, you cannot claim your money back".

Fortunately I had paid PayPal with a VISA card, I knocked it back on VISA and got my money back. When PayPal complained I told them "Sorry the transaction is over six weeks ago I refuse to discuss it further".

With PayPal you never deal with the same person twice and they fail to keep you informed, AVOID.

I still use PayPal but never for anything over £10.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It is secure and relatively safe. However, it doesn't count as a credit card, so you don't get credit protection. So in cases like with Monarch, PayPal won't have to refund you whereas a credit card company would.

Reactions: DBK
Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
It is secure and relatively safe. However, it doesn't count as a credit card, so you don't get credit protection. So in cases like with Monarch, PayPal won't have to refund you whereas a credit card company would.
Yes very true

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Paypal is just an 'intermediary' money handling company, they use your funding sources to pay for anything you buy, be it money in your Paypal account, credit or debit card, bank account etc, they aren't providing any 'credit' to you as such so therefore don't qualify as a credit provider hence no protection unless THEY decide to do it. o_O

If you buy anything off Ebay (or anywhere else for that matter) and want to pay via Paypal always change the payment method to your credit card rather than from any other source to be safe, I know that you don't get protection from your CC provider for small amounts but if you get into the habit of doing this you won't forget when it matters! (y)

Reactions: DBK

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Pay Pal is for convenience, and is an intermediary "cut out" when making (say) E-Bay purchases. And my sub`s to "FUN"!. But anything over £100-00 MUST be a credit card DIRECT, NOT through any intermediary as then and ONLY then do you get the section 75 benefit if it goes pear shaped!.

See:- https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I buy stuff using PayPal all the time and have done for years and I mean a lot of stuff I've a feedback rating of around 15000 on eBay.
I can honestly say whenever there's been problems PayPal has alwaus come good in getting my money back etc.

Selling stuff and using PayPal I avoid like the plague unless the buyer sends the payment as gift or friends and family because for the same reason I like PayPal for buying I hate it for selling ....if someone's dishonest and makes false claims PayPal nearly always will side with the buyer
The dearest thing I've bought with PayPal has been just over 6 grand...seller paid the fees
Dearest thing I've sold using PayPal has been around 80-90 quid

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
On normal purchases probably better as they always come down in favour of the customer, they refund you and deduct the money from the customers account or bank account.
In the case of Monarch they are not going to be able to get their money back so I can't see them refunding unless they really have to, knowing eBay/PayPal they will have a get out clause in the small print.

I paid by Barclay Debit Card, I have got them to issue a charge back. Don't think we stand a chance of a refund, Monarch have no assets, planes leased and building rented. I always use my Barclay card, 1st time ever debit card , never again , luckily our Xmas flights to our daughters are with easy jet

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back