mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
So we have a private van conversion (what you'd call a self build except it wasn't us that did it)

The van is 1999 and I have no idea how old the conversion is at has been largely done with salvage caravan parts.

What I'm seeing on the forum is that even our conversion is older than most of the motorhomes on here...

So I wonder if we stick out a little....

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
what does it matter how old it is,you have got a motorhome that's all that matters(y).the only thing that sticks out on here is stomachs:LOL::LOL:.nobody judges on here:)
Brian & Jo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
My RV has just had its 25th birthday since it was built. We have got most of the inside sorted as we want it, but we are only partway into sorting the exterior. The mechanical side is good, but there again, it's only done 40 odd thousand miles, and runs well on home made biodiesel.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Most of the motorhomers on here are over 3 times older than your van and they still get about!
Get out and about and enjoy yourself ,that's all that matters.

Vlad

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We don't think of ours as old (2000) just maturing nicely, serious though just does not matter what your van is, just that you enjoy your van I think :blusher:

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Thanks all.. we love our van and have plans to make it exactly how we want it.. it is pretty close already.. I was just checking I wasn't 'the one with the rusty old tranny'....

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Doesn't matter how old the van is as long as you love and use it (and it's safe and legal to be on the road of course!)

Our first van was 17 years old before we could no longer get parts for it (engine type parts) and we put the camping stuff in it. The next was a huge Nth-hand Hymer which is still around somewhere. Current one is much smaller and newer but we are older and had more money.

Hope to meet you sometime and if you are ever in (or plan to be in) the Scottish Borders send us a message.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
No matter what you wake up in,wherever you are,you will have the same view as your neighbours. Another plus is,Rust,is the same colour,clean or dirty.Three of my mates have m/h's older than yours,one cost a whole £700 pounds,it is on a Renault Traffic,Auto-Seeper conversion and goes like a good 'un.
Oh,i forgot to mention, you will recognise ? it ,the number plate is in Roman Numerals...Oh thrice LOL (Old,old lorry joke) He goes all over in it,and will be coming out to us in Portugal next year in it,it's warm and dry inside and it can pick it's skirt up and run with the best of 'em.
Power to your elbow,enjoy it.
Tea Bag

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Ours is 1991. Ducato base.
Still drives much better than the 4 month old van I did 800 miles in last weekend, also Ducato based. More economical too.
And she's only cost £42.50 in parts over the last 4 years ...

... So, old is good for us. ;)

Previous MH was (still is, with new custodian), a Merc 608, home converted, 1986, which went to India and back in 2007 at 600.000 km on clock- 29.000 km trip over 2 years - only problem on trip was the centre propshaft bearing needed replacing...

We do not intend having any MH later than about '95 .... They're all too fancy, fragile and unreliable for our needs!

Last edited:
OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I love the borders puddleduck but it's a long ole drive from here...

We had an old coach built but it was too big and clumsy so we sold it on and waited nearly 2 years to work out what we wanted. This one is the perfect layout for us and just the right size... might persuade the OH to pop to a meet at some point.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Sold an 04 Burstner in July and went out and bought a 1991 Eriba (Renault Trafic base)

Both were/are great vans - both similar mileages - 55k - both similarly equipped - motorhomes haven't changed that much - bed, cooker, fridge, toilet, heating etc

The important thing is to get out and use it

(y)(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks all.. we love our van and have plans to make it exactly how we want it.. it is pretty close already.. I was just checking I wasn't 'the one with the rusty old tranny'....
You mean like this......

Benidorm.jpg

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
My previous van was a S reg tranny "Lola" I loved that van.Took us all over last year,Germany,Hungary,Romania,Bulgaria etc had it 4 years and it gave us the motorhome bug.Traded it in for next to nothing in Somerset as didn't want to drive 2 vans home.I still hope it found a good home.:cry: Enjoy whatever you have to the full.By the way never was made to feel out of place against all the big new moterhomes at all. Martin

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
So we have a private van conversion (what you'd call a self build except it wasn't us that did it)

The van is 1999 and I have no idea how old the conversion is at has been largely done with salvage caravan parts.

What I'm seeing on the forum is that even our conversion is older than most of the motorhomes on here...

So I wonder if we stick out a little....
I feel the same about our brand new squeeky clean Chausson. Can't wait till it ages a bit. And having spent a weekend away in it with two dogs and me being a slob by nature we're getting there:Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
One thing about motorhoming.. By its nature only a few can be snobbish ( and those few are not in general motorhomers, just very rich people who happen to have to spend a little time tucked up in something... usually between takes on a film set ! )

I cannot begin to estimate how many times I have wandered round at a show looking at all sorts of vans and picking up great ideas from them.. I would say the only vans that actually stand out are new ones.. old and older ones are the absolute norm !

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
One thing about motorhoming.. By its nature only a few can be snobbish ( and those few are not in general motorhomers, just very rich people who happen to have to spend a little time tucked up in something... usually between takes on a film set ! )

I cannot begin to estimate how many times I have wandered round at a show looking at all sorts of vans and picking up great ideas from them.. I would say the only vans that actually stand out are new ones.. old and older ones are the absolute norm !
:crying:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You may have a nice shiny posh new one, but are you a snob Souix ?
Nahhhh.. Of course you aint !

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
some of the happiest memories I have of motorhoming, are time spent in older homebrew vans. no worrying about putting a scratch on the bodywork trying to get up a narrow country lane or of depreciation devaluing our purchase as it sat in a field. snobbery soon goes out of the window when we are all in the same queue to empty the toilet cassette

if you are comfortable and happy with your van, nothing else matters

As for rusty old trannies, just ask old mo and shiftzz as they are our resident experts on all matters cross dressing

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back