Is Nature Pure Actually "Worth" It? (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Forgetting, for the purpose of this thread, the initial £150-£200 purchase price and overlooking the undoubted convenience factor, I pose this question...

What price is Nature Pure drinking water?

I fitted mine at the RW Funster Meet in April.

The water flow through the filter has slowed right down...

On the box of my spare filter it says I should replace the cartridge "when the water flow slows down".

It appears that a new cartridge now costs £55-£60

£60 in six months... £10 per month... "£2.50 per week...":Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek: (and I only use it for drinking and coffee making... not swimming in...)

How many five litre bottles of water can you buy for £2.50 from the supermarket?...

JJ :Cool:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hey JJ your not supposed to be filling your tank from the canal you know:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
but seriously maybe the initial filter has taken all the crud out of your tank so subsequent filters may last longer.
or fit one of those bigger dockside pre-filters inline before your nature pure.
although it does say it only lasts for around 500 litres which is only 1000 coffees and if your consumption of coffee is high say 8 cups a day plus a couple of cups of water per day.
so at 5 litres a day 6 months is about right.
but buying 5 litres a day from a supermarket works out more expensive than £2.50 a week

Sea Star

Free Member
Oct 17, 2011
Mold
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
New to this forum, currently live on a boat and we use the Seagull 1V from the same manufacturer, the initial cost is more, about £340, but the filter is £66. This allows us over 12 months use as full time liveabaords (on a boat) Like you drinking water, hot drinks etc. Seems very good value to me, also means I don't have to lug heavy bottles about. Gives you twice the capacity of the Nature Pure one, but probably not much help to you now :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hi JJ:thumb:

We fitted one recently and frankly love it, we don't like the taste of tap water, but the nature pure is loverly, obviously takes out whatever we don't like so good, and on, err, tap:ROFLMAO:

As said already no lugging bottled about and I worked out we use around £250-£300s worth of bottle annually so easy saving over the price of the filter:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Forgetting, for the purpose of this thread, the initial £150-£200 purchase price and overlooking the undoubted convenience factor, I pose this question...

What price is Nature Pure drinking water?

I fitted mine at the RW Funster Meet in April.

The water flow through the filter has slowed right down...

On the box of my spare filter it says I should replace the cartridge "when the water flow slows down".

It appears that a new cartridge now costs £55-£60

£60 in six months... £10 per month... "£2.50 per week...":Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek: (and I only use it for drinking and coffee making... not swimming in...)

How many five litre bottles of water can you buy for £2.50 from the supermarket?...

If it has slowed up that quickly JJ you must have some crud in your tanks and this is blocking the filter. Have you tried giving the filter a rinse, it might work, most people get at least a year, :thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Link RemovedSave on brewing up gas also JJ you know it makes sense ----- CHEERS

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Mine used to last over a year each time. Not got one in the current van and am getting fed up of lugging bottle water everytime I see a suspicious tap on a campsite.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if the flow slows, you need a new filter.....

a Eurovans water system runs at around 13/15psi....

my RV, as with most, runs at 45psi

if the flow is low and the filter is ready for changing in a Eurovan, you can give the old ones to me....I can get another two lifetimes out of them before the flow slows :thumb: :roflmto:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. do you have a seperate tap for drinking water or does all the water go through the filter?
i use a different system but only put drinking water through it.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Simple answer..... NO.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I only used two filters in three years full timing with a family, JJ .. so I also reckon you have either picked up crud or have a very dirty source ..

so from my experience it is great value for money

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Filling up from UK and European drinking water sources? So why filter at all?
simple answer Tony....your tank interior.

you will never completely empty the tank and pipework and bacteria can, and will, grow in there.
sanitising a couple of times a year may help, but what about the months on end where a little water is left in the tank between sanitation jobs ?

personally I've never had a problem, but I do have a strong stomach, I must have with some of the crap I shove in it...use by dates don't apply, if it smells OK then it is OK :winky:, whereas Shirl easily gets stomach bugs.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes i find in europe that the water quality is fine . i also find most of morocco etc fine. its just sometimes if wilding in way out places you might need to take river or lake water. i catch rain water as well if need be. but again seperate drinking water means filters last ages. mine is a doulton ceramic candle filter with silver inlay . you can acxtually scrub it to remove dirt build up. the silver does the purification .

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
simple answer Tony....your tank interior.

you will never completely empty the tank and pipework and bacteria can, and will, grow in there.
sanitising a couple of times a year may help, but what about the months on end where a little water is left in the tank between sanitation jobs ?

personally I've never had a problem, but I do have a strong stomach, I must have with some of the crap I shove in it...use by dates don't apply, if it smells OK then it is OK :winky:, whereas Shirl easily gets stomach bugs.

I guess I must share your strong stomach::bigsmile:
I periodically flush through with some sort of Campden tablet/Milton/Domestos type solution but I find that during 6-8 week trips the frequent fresh topping up and healthy throughput delivers fresh smelling palatable water. I don't really worry too much except when the tank sits unused between times when a flush through is warranted before leaving home again.

Don't think I would invest in installing an onboard filter system - maybe a jug filter to sit in the fridge.

There are times when our home Severn Trent supply is so heavily chlorinated that it's a bit like swallowing at the local swimming pool, though! :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
a couple of washing outs with chlorinated water is all you need to clean your tank. unless you are alergic to it .i have a mate that is he uses nature pure all the time.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Given that I have been using the water directly from my tanks for ten years (boiling for coffee obviously) and refilling twice a week at least and have suffered no hint of illnesses, I don't think I have that much "crud" in my tanks (and that which I have had has exercised my defences.)

But I do agree with Jim about pressures though.... my Nature Pure is still delivering water (via its own, separate tap,) but just slower than before.

Maybe I am contemplating a new cartridge far too early. I am determined to continue using this one until it stops all together!

Then I have a spare cartridge which I bought with the kit (several years ago) and I reckon I only paid £35 for it... so use that one up and then review the situation... maybe my gravy train will be back trundling down the track once more...:thumb:

Crumbs, just reread this and it really is boring... I am definitely getting old... sorry...:winky:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think you may be jumping the Gun JJ. The initial speed I got from my independent tap didn't last long at all. After that it dropped by a noticeable amount but then stayed at that level for more than a year.

For those who mock the filter. After seeing (more than once) people rinsing their thetford out at the fresh water point I decided I would get one of these filter things as I didn't want anything that had come out of their bum in my mouth.... sorry for being squeamish or pathetic but I wouldn't lick my own toilet paper why should I be expected to lick theirs.:Doh:

EJB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Suffolk (by choice)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1+
We've never used water filters in nearly 50 years of Caravans/Motor homes in Northern Europe and Scandinavia.
Wife drinks cold water cordial type drinks and all mine is boiled water for tea etc.
Never bought bottled water in my life....we find that the house/MH taps are fine.
I used to sell water filtration equipment, from simple systems mentioned here to state of the art products, and never did see the sense of it for human consumption in modern countries.
I can appreciate that the 'taste test' may be a deciding factor for 'cold water' drinkers.

PS. Food grade hose.....wouldn't dream of buying it:winky:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
and never did see the sense of it for human consumption in modern countries.

So you have never witnessed anyone washing their thetford cassette at the fresh water tap, putting the tap spout itself inside the neck of the cassette?:whatthe::Angry:

That's the reason why I use bottled water for drinking from or have a filter installed. I am sure it is possible to survive this but personally I find it disgusting and off putting....

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
So you have never witnessed anyone washing their thetford cassette at the fresh water tap, putting the tap spout itself inside the neck of the cassette?:whatthe::Angry:

That's the reason why I use bottled water for drinking from or have a filter installed. I am sure it is possible to survive this but personally I find it disgusting and off putting....

We always use our own hose and add a couple of sterilising tabs if the supply is questionable.
YOU ARE ALL PARANOID!
Ask a Sudanese child about what is dirty water!

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Is Nature Pure Actually "Worth" It?

In my opinion it is brilliant and now wouldn't be without one.

Then again I am biased as mine was freeeeeeeeeeee
:party2:

Daisy21

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I use my own hose (have just invested in food grade hose now that I have a little person on board) and always add purification tablets at every refill. Last van had water tank outside and no way to see condition. Used to use Puriclean once a year at start of season. Current van has inboard tank and easy to see/access inside. Have just emptied water (from weekend) due to cold temperatures hitting and plan to give the tank a bit of a clean at the weekend (handbook says to use Milton I think but not quite sure what the process is for that). Only use tank water for washing/cooking now, but used to use tank water run through jug filter for drinking before my little person arrived. For drinking purposes now I use the cheap still table water you can buy at most of the supermarkets for about 17p a bottle (little person too young to drink mineral water anyway). Bit of a pain carrying the bottles about but pretty inexpensive (less than £1 for last 9 day trip). Have never seen anyone using the fresh water taps on site to clean out their chemical toilet :whatthe: or indeed anything other than the CDP disposal area - although we only travel in the UK and mainly stay at CC or CCC club sites where I'm guessing someone would say something? Will be keeping a closer watch in future though!

Daisy2

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best eat the little person if it really makes you want to buy water. fried or in a pressure cooker is best hee he.
not really ,prefer mine on a barbie. cheers alan. eat thenm soon before the bones harden difficult to chew then. ha ha .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back