Is my solar charging the Cab instead of the Hab? (1 Viewer)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hi everyone,

I've got a Sargent EC480 digital control panel mated to a EC500 PCS, with an 80W solar panel on the roof.

I noticed today that when the Leisure battery is selected as the 'Active' battery, a little 'V' appears in the 'sun' symbol as if to say the Vehicle battery is being charged by the solar panel.

IMG_9353.JPG

Am I understanding this correctly?

Currently on EHU at the moment, as indicated by the little spark symbol top left.

If I press the battery swap switch so the Vehicle battery is active, then a 'L' appears in the sun symbol, as if to say the solar is now charging the leisure battery.

Is this usual? That the solar charges the opposite battery to the active one while on EHU?

Also while I'm here, at 4pm mid winter with a very low sun in the sky, is 0.6A about all I can expect from an 80W panel?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I'm just starting to get into this whole solar-thing so I could be wrong.

My understanding of the EC480 is that the hab battery will be selected when the van is connected via EHU.

That said, there is 'apparently' a smart charge mode which will automatically direct the EHU and/or solar power to whichever battery needs it.

I hope we can get a definitive answer from a 480 guru.

All the best,

Andrew

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would say the controller is wired the wrong way.
IF you have a multimeter try checking the hab battery voltage with the L showing, then switch the other way and recheck.
If it's correct the hab voltage will be higher with the L showing.
Do the same with the starter battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Thanks for the replies!

I did a bit more digging and someone on the ASOF site told me how to get the EC480 in to 'installer mode'.

While wandering around the Advanced settings I saw the panel was set to a 110ah battery being installed, but I only have a 90ah battery so it would never reach 100% even if it tried :rolleyes:

(Because the percentage is simply based on a formula of battery size, current voltage and current amp-draw)

After I sorted that part out, I then turned everything fully off and told the control panel to re-calibrate the battery settings so I now have an accurate ammeter current draw display and an accurate battery level percentage (y)

I also found in the installer settings that you can tell the EHU charger to be 'smart' and charge the battery with the lowest volts, or it can be a manual charger and only charge the battery you have selected as 'active'. I changed this to the manual setting, so it matches how my old van did things, I like to be in control of my power requirements :)

Anyway, more importantly, there was another setting in there for the solar, which again you can set to be either 'smart' or manual, independent of the EHU charger settings.

So to answer my own post, what's happening in my pic above is correct. Because while on EHU I have the Leisure battery being charged which means it's voltage is always going to be higher than the Vehicle battery. So the solar is charging the Vehicle as it technically has less volts (y)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That's good news. I'm pleased you have it sorted(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I just read your last post and it looks like you beat me to it and now have all the info. (y)

A few settings there with Smart, Leisure or Cab battery charging.. The Solar panel charge figure could be right, remember if the batteries are already full then they dont need a lot to top up..
NOTE.. If you see the display solar charge amps flash on and off that's an indication the battery is full but will continue to show what the solar is producing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back