Is my flexi solar panel goosed? (1 Viewer)

Mar 1, 2021
Guardamar del Segura, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
I have a 100w (my estimate based on size) flexi solar panel on the roof, which at a guess I would say is 4 years old. (On the van when I got it ) it is wired through a CBE PRS300 controller with a PT642 test panel also connected.

The test panel is showing voltage in the batteries at 13v, but not showing any amps coming from the solar

I have been on the roof and used my multi meter and tested voltage from the panel at 15-16 volts, but again no amps at the panel ( I unplugged on the roof and just tested at the connection of the panel)

Have I missed anything, or is the panel goosed?

Thanks in advance

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I had two on my van, (same flexi ones) and when I tested the output there was nothing there at all. Never had a solar panel go wrong before until this and I've had them on vans for 15+ years. Therefore I never replaced them with flexi ones. Also, I have had to leave the flexi ones on the roof as they are next to impossible to get off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It might just be winter with low sun and lots of cloud. By this time of year your panels would work better stuck vertically on the side of the van than on the roof.
He's in Spain according to his avatar so I don't think that's the problem.
I think the panels are goosed not many Flexy panels last that long.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
It's always difficult to say in winter, every year we have had the feeling the solar panels are not working as they should, in fact sometimes very disappointing compared with in the summer months, once the sun starts rising in the spring everyone will post how many amps they are getting, the days getting longer less demand on your batteries and it's I love my solar panels all this free electric. 😉
Even here in Spain we suffer, they work but not as well, when we had the caravan on a winter pitch I had a 100w panel and moved it around leaning against the a frame following the sun 😉 worked a treat, if it was laying flat on the roof I probably wouldn't have bothered using it. 😎 Bob.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MartinandBev
Mar 1, 2021
Guardamar del Segura, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
It might just be winter with low sun and lots of cloud. By this time of year your panels would work better stuck vertically on the side of the van than on the roof.
Yeah would agree but I am on the sunny Costa Blanca and still plenty of sun ☀️ around , so am drawing a conclusion that they are knacked! 🥲🥲

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I had two on my van, (same flexi ones) and when I tested the output there was nothing there at all. Never had a solar panel go wrong before until this and I've had them on vans for 15+ years. Therefore I never replaced them with flexi ones. Also, I have had to leave the flexi ones on the roof as they are next to impossible to get off.
They do come off Paul. I had 2 one failed, peeled it off slowly stuck another one on, that lasted about 18 months so then replaced it with 2 rigid ones. There was some adhesive left but the new ones covered it. Think the CIGs ones are better because no glass to break.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I have a 100w (my estimate based on size) flexi solar panel on the roof, which at a guess I would say is 4 years old. (On the van when I got it ) it is wired through a CBE PRS300 controller with a PT642 test panel also connected.

The test panel is showing voltage in the batteries at 13v, but not showing any amps coming from the solar

I have been on the roof and used my multi meter and tested voltage from the panel at 15-16 volts, but again no amps at the panel ( I unplugged on the roof and just tested at the connection of the panel)

Have I missed anything, or is the panel goosed?

Thanks in advance
I have spoken to a number of Motorhomers who have had the flexi solar panels, and all say the same thing they just don’t last, the last one I spoke to very recently in Portugal said his first 2 flexis lasted 2 years the next 2 lasted slightly longer, it seems this is a common problem especially on panel vans as there is no air gap under the panel to aid efficiency and help keep the panel cool, compounded by the fact I think that in hot sunny weather especially abroad the roof of a panel van gets too hot to touch on occasions and I feel that it’s this that causes the premature failure of flexi panels, I’ve never had a problem with rigid glass solar panels, but there’s the added weight of them over the flexis......Just sayin....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back