LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
2nd Sept we set sail Dover to Calais for a month or so... we have booked M.H. & Car on an "A" frame... we intend to do the North West coast then head down to Parc Verger for a few days and hope fully meet up with a few "Funsters"..

We intend too use "Aires"... with a couple of Camp sites in between..

Reading the thread`s on Aires, I have decided not to take the car, and just do the site seeing around the Aires... a day here a day there etc..

My question is..... is it worth taking the car or will it be more hastle than it`s worth... ???..... bearing in mind we will have to use a wheelchair for Paul, our son..

Are places of interest near to and within walking distance of most Aires or should we take a car... ?

We have toured Europe with a M.H. and car on a trailer for over 10 years, but this will be our first trip to France staying mainly on Aires...

Ferry booked and paid for for M.H. & car but not worried about refund, but will inform them we wont be taking car.... if we decide not to..

Any hints tips, gratefully received. (y)

Thanks..

mikeman

Free Member
Apr 22, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel kountrylite
Exp
Started in VW Kombi in 1971
Parc Verger is in a lovely part of France but you will need a car to go anywhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Parc Verger is in a lovely part of France but you will need a car to go anywhere.

We spent a winter at PV 4 months with a 7 metre motorhome! Went everywhere with it and never had a problem.
If no where else to park i.e. an aire use supermarket car parks the French don't bother as long as you are causing no problem!

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp

We have stayed at P.V. a few times and as that is one place we will be staying for a few days... as you say a car there is nessesary.. but it`s all the other places I was thinking of... could always hire at P.Verger.. (y)

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
I guess it depends on the size of your motorhome as well as where you are going. We went to Parc Verger this summer with our car on tow and had a great time. Like Ken said you can probably get by without and use the MH but if you have a son in a wheel chair you may need the car. I think we would have been fine at Parc Verger with just the bikes.

We are now seriously thinking of down sizing so we don't have the bother of towing the car around as we miss all the little places we used to go and the freedom. I guess it's just down to the kind of camping you prefer!

Last edited:
OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I guess it depends on the size of your motorhome as well as where you are going. We went to Parc Verger this summer with our car on tow and had a great time. Like Ken said you can probably get by without and use the MH but if you have a son in a wheel chair you may need the car. I think we would have been fine at Parc Verger with just the bikes.

We are now seriously thinking of down sizing so we don't have the bother of towing the car around as we miss all the little places we used to go and the freedom. I guess it's just down to the kind of camping you prefer!

Thanks..
9mtrs... Doing the north west coast for most of the trip. Calais round to Brest and further down.. but dont want to lose out on some of the nice "Aires" we have lined up, because we cannot get the car on pitch.. hence asking are they do`able and within walking distance of towns and places of interest..

We have always dragged a car around because of our son.. but fancied not having the bother of a tow car this time.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Seeing that you have already booked it, don't really see any reason to leave it behind apart from the fact it might even be an inconvenience , you are going to be stuck with it whether you need it or not much the same as tugging, you have always got to go back for one or the other, which is a major thing with motorhomeing, you can come and go as you please, and don't know how big your van is, but we have never had any problem going anywhere that we could have gone with a car.
Sorry we cross posted there, see you are 9 mts which is nearly half as long again as us, so can't really say

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
At 9 metres you may have trouble with quite a few aires, so it's very debate able , I think maybe the car would be best, we are not a great deal longer than some large cars

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Thanks for all your input`s... much appreciated... wont make a decision till nearer the time.

Have any dragged a toad, and only stayed on aires and wished they had not bothered with the car.. ?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As you know Mo, I usually take my car on a trailer, but only when long terming in one place. If am touring I never take the car as I move every couple of days. A toad or trailer can be a problem when trying to squeeze onto some Aires. Thats why I run a motorhome instead of a caravan, it gives me the choice to take the car if I think am going to use it.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bought my previous van a Burstner t615 because my wife needed a wheelchair - and the toilet facilities.

Used it almost as everyday transport - taking a car would have left us with the problem of finding toilets for the disabled.

We did mostly use sites but stopped on a few aires in France. We traveled out of season most of the time, never thought about a car, plenty of places to park even in this country.

(y)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Useful post thanks Mo, this is one for us to watch, when we swapped from tugging to MH we initially used the MH like a caravan and were then stuck in our 8m caravan parked and not easily taken out to some smaller locations, we are just now starting to get the best out of the MH by selecting sites where we can do something / get to places w/o using MH, then we tour when moving getting to the places without nearby camping options

From our very limited use of aires I think you might struggle with getting on solo to some let alone with a trailer, but then maybe September October will be somewhat quieter, we hope to be doing similar ourselves

Getting to some 'tourist' spots from aires might be hard IMO, but if what you want is a look round the town you are stopped in, if I were you I would leave the car

As a relative newbie to this MHing game I tend to think you 'old hands' know all these sort of things, thanks for the reminder that we are all still learning really

Enjoy your trip, we will definitely be around France at the same time and hope to get to PV ourselves (y)

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Enjoy your trip, we will definitely be around France at the same time and hope to get to PV ourselves (y)

Hi David, thanks for that...(y) I think we will leave the car and take a chance... We are only going to stay on any one"Aire" for a day, max 2.....

If it does not work out.... she would have been right again... :(;)

We have provisionally booked P. Verger for a week about 22nd Sept... few Funsters have shown interest at having a Mini Meet there... hopefully we will see you there for the "Cheese & Wine" get together.. (y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Mo I have been thinking this through and I reckon that you would be better off with the car especially with the mobility difficulty with Paul and you would be able to see much more.
In September , the end of the season , I think , with a bit of careful planning and googling you will always find somewhere to park the car if not on the Aire, close by.
I know how well you and Judy used to plan your RV trips with the trailer on the back, so I am sure this would be a piece of cake especially when if you need to unhitch Judy can always drive.

PS and when you get to PV and perhaps you want to stay a but longer , you have the transport.

PS this recommendation self destructs after 30 seconds :wink:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yeah been thinking same myself, if you are going to PV about half way through you could see if you need it or not , if not you can leave it there, go off for a day or two see how that goes and you could pick it up on your way back , try both see which is best , then you'll know for sure next time, but as you've paid for it you ,would be mad if you wanted it and paid for it but hadn't got it.
Or you could go to PV sooner than intended and leave it there and have longer without it and have a good trial

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
How much extra fuel and tolls will you pay with the towed car? It may be easier and cheaper to use taxis as and when required.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Mo !

When do you think you'll be at PV !? It'd be lovely to meet you there with other funsters! Only thing is I have to ask my monthly free week end at leeast a month ahead.... so about time I ask! lol

If i'm answered NO , then any chance I could see you at my place?

Don't want to put any pressure of course, but I would be delighted to see you again .
I'm booked for the day for Yannick's birthday on the 6th though , but not booked for any other week end (my week end start at about 3.oopm now as I have English Language lessons to give every saturday)

Let me know please!

Affectueusement

Frankie:):):)

PS Oh and BTW the way I have a special offer card for renting cars , and so I can rent it for you if you need one

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hi Frankie... We are aiming and have provisionally booked to be at Bob & Di`s (Parc Verger) on the 22nd Sept for approx 4 - 5 days.. (y)

A few months ago when I posted what we were doing... North/western France culminating at Park.V. and as much as possible staying on "Aires".. a lot of "Funsters" showed interest regarding meeting up at various Aires.. I said I would post where we are and how long we intend to stay for each day on forum...

With a get together at P.V. last week in Sept.. Be good to see you if you can make it.. (y)

As far as I can remember, about 6 to 8 said they will try and aim for there at that time, so no telling how many will turn up.. ;) There is a Cheese & Wine party going to take place one evening...

Undecided regarding taking the car..... I would like to do the trip without dragging one around, especially if we only stay for 1 night...

So may take you up on your offer on a hire car...

Be good if JJ could make it as well..

Catch you later..
Mo, Judy & Paul
XXXX :inlove:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Just for you, then - 24th to the 29th... (y)

Couple of days later does not make any difference to us, we are not on a time schedule.. (y)

Just got to persuade my mate JJ to come... ;):D

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I let you know Mo what my boss says . As for JJ I'll tell him but I doubt he goes that way up at that time of the year. He's probably having a few other plans...or just might have to work.
Kisses and hugs to you, Judy and Paul!

Frankie:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back