Is it worth spewing a full oven? (2 Viewers)

Oct 3, 2022
Swindon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC- i 680
Exp
I’m a newbie
Just wondered how many people would spec a full oven in a new motorhome considering there are so many different options for cooking

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Ours is a better cupboard than cooker, it’s the useless on top of fridge thing.

The one we had in the caravan was much much better.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Defo wouldn't be without one. Even bake cakes in ours although you need to cover them with foil once the top has crusted to make sure they don't burn from the naked gas flame. The temperature also varies from somewhere close to the temperature of the sun at the top to closer to the polar ice cap at the bottom and the temperature dial is only really there for effect.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We had an oven in the caravan then our first motorhome didn't have one, Mrs funflair said that when we changed she wanted an oven so yes of course we have an oven it's a relatively small one above the fridge freezer, yes it works, yes we use it, we also have a combi microwave grill but really only use it as microwave but the grill bit does work.

Upvote 0

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
One of those questions where there isn’t a right answer Martin. Would I spec one, no. We have always had an oven after moving up to a caravan following a long time tenting then folding camper. However, I can probably count on one hand the number of times we have used the oven. Our last caravan, and previous two Motorhomes all had microwaves, which we used a lot. The current one only has an oven, which is a storage cabinet and used once or twice in nearly four years as an oven. We use the grill part frequently, enough to miss it if we did not have one.
Personally, I think it stems from working shifts that had ‘flexible’ end times, and so many meals spoiling keeping warm that we moved more to bulk prep of frozen meals that were ideal for microwaving. Getting in three or four hours late it could be in the microwave and eaten without a further long wait.
So for us more of a lifestyle thing that has become permanent, a habit we have not grown out of when out on the road. At home we do use the house oven a lot more now. I would have to seriously upgrade my lithium to go electric for cooking, which is unlikely unless Gadget John is right:rofl:.

Upvote 0

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Not bothered about an oven, current van doesn’t have one and is not missed. There are other options which work ok.
What he said .

Our first van had an oven, it was useless so became a wine box storage area.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I use my oven every single day , from warming croissants, to finishing off part baked bread. Pizzas, roasts, baked fish , cakes. Apple pie , casseroles.

Never use a microwave, very rarely use the grill but the oven is an absolute neccesity for me.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Just a view but I own a campervan….and would never consider taking an oven on a camping trip.

We don’t eat much in the way of roast meat these days and also not keen on reheated commercial pizza so don’t have a need and would rather have the cupboard space …

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Couldn't manage without our oven, where else would we keep the bread ? 😏

Our microwave was our bread bin until I took it out and turned the space into a cupboard.
We are rarely on hookup so the microwave was used twice as I remember.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
All our vans have had TecTower ovens current one works really well since I modded it.
Van on order no option for a TecTower so we are not having an over. Didn't like where or how the oven option was fitted. The £1000 it saves goes nearly a third of the way to the electric upgrades I have planned.
Looking at using an air fryer off the inverter possibly one of the rotisserie oven airfriers like Dawoo & Tower do.

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Had ovens in caravans and first Motorhome. When we changed to current pvc with just two burners debated long and hard abt if we could cope. We do have a Remoska if on hook up. We have not missed the oven at all. We have not really missed the grill either. Only ever used for toast, and other ways of doing that.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
No oven for us. None of the 4 vans we have had included an oven. I like my slow cooker and no oven means that sometimes we go out to eat.

I do but hot ready roasted chickens from time to time although it is possible to roast a chicken in the slow cooker (and I have).
:)

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I couldn't manage at all without my van oven. It takes a lot longer to cook things than the fan assisted oven I have at home but you soon learn to adjust your timings. Don't like it so much in the summer but the van gets toastie in the winter when I have a slow roast going on the oven.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back