Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
A while back the general opinion as that the installation of solar was not worth it. It was proven that the amount of money paid out for installation could not be recouped.
Has technology changed to make it viable.

Jim
:Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It all depends on how you use the M/H ? In our case we have never run out of power.We tend to drive from a to b and never stay parked up for days on end.As such no need for solar or genny.If I/we did run out of power the worst thing to happen is we would have no telly for a night :ROFLMAO: hardly life threatening:winky:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
MH or house ?

MH, worth it if you need it wilding and don't want a genny.

MH. We don't do a lot of wilding, if any. We may do a bit when abroad but tbh we don't use a lot of leccy then. Its normally light, sunny and warm.

Even if you are wilding in this country, do we get enough sunshine.
Jim
:Smile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
My unit is in storage, to me solar is worth it as it keeps my house batteries topped up berween trips and over winter keeps them going, although my case is slightly different as its a 5th wheel unit so doesnt have an 'engine' apart from when hitched to the truck, also it means i can happily do 4/5 days off ehu when at rallies/meets. I do also have a genny as backup which is used usually on the first meet of the year out for 2 reasons really,
1. i can have an oil filled heater running in the van in the day if needed as those first meets are usually chilly and wet, and the van then gets properly aired from after its winter storage.We tend not to use the american van heating as it is very battery power hungry if not on ehu
2. it tops of the batteries for me

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We wouldnt be without it on the MH.
3 teenagers and a hubby who have all the electric gadgets to charge , Ipads , phones , laptops etc and me for the tv.
( Board games/ jigsaws etc went out the window several years ago , and none of us play cards BTW , but we do talk :ROFLMAO: before anyone tut tuts :winky: )
Not forgetting the solar helping to charge the Trojans for the diesel heating.
Ralph loves looking at this gadget thing he's fixed above the door. It tells him how many hours he can go , using the power he is using at that present time. He knows how much the solar panel is putting in and how much is getting used .
Straight over my head. :ROFLMAO: BTW

I just expect to be able to switch anything on , when ever i want.
Its great knowing you can , without being on hook up. We like to move about from place to place too . The solar keeps everything topped up whilst in storage . It even puts a charge in when covered in snow, dont ask me how:Doh: but up in Aviemore last New Year Ralph was "well" impressed.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've used a stand-alone panel for most of the time that we've had our van. We have decided that when we get another one we will have permanent panels fitted. As with many things it is convenience, rather than economics, which is the driving force for us.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
One or two solar panels will save the average motorhomer from needing a hookup in the summer. This is a massive convenience, when you spend a week or more away at rallies, shows or wildcamping without hookup.

In the UK In winter your power requirements go up and the sun is with us for a shorter time and lower in the sky so, chances are, you will need a genny or hook-up because solar won't cope and keep you off grid for very long

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Following on from my previous post.
Ralph went to the motorhome this morning to drop something off and give it a good hoover. We keep it in storage.
When he went inside he thought ,
"Mmm its lovely and warm in here"
He had left the Webasto deisal heating on. It had been on at 20deg since we parked her up there on Monday afternoon. So thats 5 days and nights :whatthe:
Its used about £20 of diesel ( he guesses) :Sad: but the trojan batteries have kept it going with the solar panel topping them up. If the panel wasn't on then they would be flat. For sure. No chance with normal leisure batteries.
The battery monitor was showing they had about 20% left in them.
Luckily he had the genny with him to properly hoover out the van with the Dyson from home. So he also put some charge back in the batterys with the charger running at the full 40Amp for the first time :Eeek: they must have been low.
Oh well at least it will have given the heating system a good service , as it does it itself when left on for some time.
On a positive note we now know that we can go for 5 days and nights with the heating on full blast without hook-up or driving anywhere :thumb:

BTW if your van is in storage and you have a proper solar on the roof , with a good maintenance regulator , you will always arrive to a healthy fully charged battery .

SuperDuty

Free Member
Jan 16, 2012
Germany
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
If you want to be completely independent, you need a lot of solar.
We are fulltimer and we are standing always at places without electricity. Since October in Salobreña Andalusia and we always have power!
Oh, on our roof are 7 panels, together with 700 W and we have 3 x 150 A Exide-Gel.
But I agree, in the bad season in the north it would not be enough.

Always enough power in the battery wishes you
Gerd & Monika

9283834uua.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back