Is it worth installing an alarm (1 Viewer)

Sep 13, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie to MoHo but caravanning for 30 years
Our new van doesn't have a tracker. Is it worth investing in one and if so recommendations please. Thanks

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Title says alarm, post asks about tracker?
Are you looking for one or both as they are separate devices designed to do different things

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You need a Vanbitz alarm you can get a discount on here go to forum button and scroll to Fun discounts.
It will give you a code to use in one of the threads???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
You dont need a vanbitz alarm necessarily there are plenty of alternatives, A quality alarm (and immobiliser if not fitted) is a basic requirement if you intend to park your van in a public place (cat 1 if possible). I have an autowatch 645. If you have rear access doors these are also best alarmed (radio devices easiest).my neighbour who had no alarm had his sprinter nicked off his drive recently.

Some people re-enforce their doors with locks, but you can get into a moho through the windows with a screwdriver so better re-enforce those as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Personally, I'm a fan of deterring thieves in the first place.... so would always have a decent alarm first, and then a tracker of some sort next.

Another vote for Vanbitz Growler (y)

Upvote 0
H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
You dont need a vanbitz alarm necessarily there are plenty of alternatives, A quality alarm (and immobiliser if not fitted) is a basic requirement if you intend to park your van in a public place (cat 1 if possible). I have an autowatch 645. If you have rear access doors these are also best alarmed (radio devices easiest).my neighbour who had no alarm had his sprinter nicked off his drive recently.

Some people re-enforce their doors with locks, but you can get into a moho through the windows with a screwdriver so better re-enforce those as well.

This is for Mr Fusion - please could you point me towards a website that would give more info about these radio devices for rear doors?

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp

This is for Mr Fusion - please could you point me towards a website that would give more info about these radio devices for rear doors?
Mine is A 695 sorry for the wrong numbers !
The two white sensors here are the radio sensors easily fitted to the rear doors and contain a replaceable hearing aid type battery.
MOTORHOME-600x600.png

https://www.rhinoinstalls.co.uk/motorhome-alarm-system

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008

I understand, from those that know more about such things than me, that radio/wireless alarm sensors need to be treated with some care.
I am told hard wired are much more reliable and no batteries to expire without you knowing.

Richard

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I understand, from those that know more about such things than me, that radio/wireless alarm sensors need to be treated with some care.
I am told hard wired are much more reliable and no batteries to expire without you knowing.

Richard
Not sure how having the sensors glued to the door require some care ??? Anyway yes the batteries need replacing occasionally, mine lasted over 4 years last time, so not exactly onerous. A small screwdriver removes the cover and a non metallic item such as a toothpick will remove the easily obtainable batteries (pound shop has them).
The way to test if the batteries are low is to alarm the vehicle and open the door, if it goes off they are OK. Conversely after disarming the system if you open the rear/hab door and the alarm re-arms itself the batteries are low. I carry spares and replaced them all for my current journey.

If you dont have spare batteries to stop the alarm re-arming itself you have to open the cab door to break the hardwire circuit. But I would suggest replacing them at 3 years or so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Like Mr Fusion says, there are alternatives to the Vanbitz systems, but such was the reputation of both the equipment and the company, that I had no hesitation heading down from the north east soon after buying my van.

As well as the full alarm system, which includes an internal sensor and all the doors (including the rear) being hardwired, there is an accessory loop that ties around bikes/kayaks etc to protect them too. Along with the none start system, the Growler or Strikeback alarms take some beating IMO.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B
Sep 13, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie to MoHo but caravanning for 30 years
Thanks everyone. Most helpful. Like the sound of Autowatch....will speak to them as they are based in Kent. Does anybody have a recommendation for alarm fitters in Kent.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You need a Vanbitz alarm you can get a discount on here go to forum button and scroll to Fun discounts.
It will give you a code to use in one of the threads???

I been ringing round today for a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm as Comfort won't insure my new van without one.
There are big differences in price -
Local lad wants £300 without the inside sensor, which I'm not sure is really necessary
Large nation fitter wanted £900 with sensor. When I told them that price was rubbish he said they have another company that will do it for £450??? .
Vanbitz price seems to be £599 before any fun discounts.

They all seem to operate with the standard Fiat key and a second alarm key fob doesn't seem to be supplied in the price.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Thanks everyone. Most helpful. Like the sound of Autowatch....will speak to them as they are based in Kent. Does anybody have a recommendation for alarm fitters in Kent.

I had an Autowatch on the old van and seemed OK and there fitters seem to be nationwide. Let me know what deals theys have.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a strikeback on our existing van and had the same on the previous one never had any problems with them and as far as I’m concerned would not use anything else, we also have the non starter as well on present van which is trackable if stolen not Thatcham but for a£1 a week well worth the money for piece of mind.???

Upvote 0

aria

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 2, 2016
Kincardineshire.
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
I been ringing round today for a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm as Comfort won't insure my new van without one.
There are big differences in price -
Local lad wants £300 without the inside sensor, which I'm not sure is really necessary
Large nation fitter wanted £900 with sensor. When I told them that price was rubbish he said they have another company that will do it for £450??? .
Vanbitz price seems to be £599 before any fun discounts.

They all seem to operate with the standard Fiat key and a second alarm key fob doesn't seem to be supplied in the price.

An inside sensor should help stop someone coming in a window and emptying your van, or taking their time to defeat the alarm/immobliser .

My Vanbitz alarm is not operated by the Fiat key.

To the OP: Yes, I consider the alarm a good investment. A determined thief will get into anything but if you can make your van more difficult/noisy/time consuming; that might be enough to send the thief elsewhere.

Vanbitz are not inexpensive, but good value for what you get.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
After my motor home was stolen last year and recovered because we fortunately had a tracker fitted we had Van bitz growler fitted, they are the best, wouldn’t bother with anything else from previous experience of false alarms ?

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I wasn't able to get a Vanbitz alarm in the time I had. They had one to my previous motorhome. The supplying dealer arranged for a Phantom alarm/tracker to be fitted. Decent price and there are nationwide fitters.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Only for subscribed members.
Unless I'm mistake the OP is a fully paid up subscriber as he's got a 'blue' username.

Upvote 0

NickandClair

Free Member
Apr 30, 2018
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
The Dark Side!!!!
Exp
Since 2001

Hi,
We chose not to use the existing Fiat key to operate the system. Sadly the Sevel group's remote key isn't that secure and we feel it best to have an independent ECU with independent key fobs to control the alarm system.
There is also the point made that as you typically get only one remote controlled key with the Sevel vans, this doesn't give you a spare should you loose that key.
Also worth considering is that the system is hard-wired regarding the contacts and sensors, as wire-fee products can be blocked by jamming equipment and internal batteries require maintenance.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back