Is it worth importing anymore? (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
As I’ve now had the opportunity to look abroad for a motorhome, already asked the question on another thread regarding VAT, now 20% new or used, I’m waiting for gov.org to give me a definite answer regarding duty at 10%, but looking at various vehicles importing sites they mention VAT and duty to be paid.

Has this now made it unrealistic to buy abroad?

Apart from the variety and larger market for resale, if you have to take the amount of tax into consideration off your top price and again if you trade in in years to come it ultimately means you’re having to buy something older than you possibly wanted to

Hope this makes sense, it does in my head but trying to put it in a post it doesn’t read quite as well, sorry

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No duty just 20% VAT so still worth importing, savings vary on makes Hymer giving the best discounts especially on factory orders at the shows. Carthago's on a factory order can often get similar prices in the UK but stock ones in the UK usually over speced so expensive.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Are you sure about no duty? I thought you had to have owned the vehicle for a reasonably significant period before bringing it back in order to escape duty?

Surely the VAT should not be an issue if buying new - exporter should not charge you VAT thus a saving and you will pay the UK VAT?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Are you sure about no duty? I thought you had to have owned the vehicle for a reasonably significant period before bringing it back in order to escape duty?

Surely the VAT should not be an issue if buying new - exporter should not charge you VAT thus a saving and you will pay the UK VAT?
Most German dealers will charge 19% tax you have to them pay UK VAT send them a copy of your receipt and in my case the V5 you then get the 19% paid back.
took about 3 months for me to get my refund from the time I purchased.
There are a few that will not charge the19% but not many as they are liable for the 19% tax should you not give them proof of paying UK VAT.

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Ceejcat

yes new I believe is still the same as your’re paying VAT in UK
I was hopeful with the extra I could put towards a m home I could go a bit more up the heavy route (used), liner etc, but now VAT applicable it brings that uplift back down😩

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Ceejcat

yes new I believe is still the same as your’re paying VAT in UK
I was hopeful with the extra I could put towards a m home I could go a bit more up the heavy route (used), liner etc, but now VAT applicable it brings that uplift back down😩
Worth talking to the German dealers, looking at their adds a lot of them put the full VAT rate on used vans if that is the case and they will refund the VAT once UK VAT is paid it will be the same as it was.
UK dealers only put VAT on the profit but when you look at EU VAT rules that is optional.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think the same as here if the MH had been in a business they could show the price plus VAT and it could be reclaimed when UK VAT paid but if it was a private trade in to a dealer no VAT to show or only on profit possibly.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Most German dealers will charge 19% tax you have to them pay UK VAT send them a copy of your receipt and in my case the V5 you then get the 19% paid back.
took about 3 months for me to get my refund from the time I purchased.
There are a few that will not charge the19% but not many as they are liable for the 19% tax should you not give them proof of paying UK VAT.
I bought my van from Dumo in Dulmen in Germany and i was able to buy it German VAT free, and i paid the VAT in the UK on import but it was on the promise / understanding i must send them the UK VAT invoice ASAP so they did not get stung for it

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Worth talking to the German dealers, looking at their adds a lot of them put the full VAT rate on used vans if that is the case and they will refund the VAT once UK VAT is paid it will be the same as it was.
UK dealers only put VAT on the profit but when you look at EU VAT rules that is optional.
Yes that would be the best outcome as you say the German dealers etc advertise used vans with vat so would they knock this amount off or refund once proof hs given that UK vat has been paid?

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Sent a couple of e mails off, let’s see what the responses are 👍
Just to add, we have dodgy dealers here, what’s to stop them over in the eu saying yes we’ll repay when proof shown and it doesn’t happen?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Sent a couple of e mails off, let’s see what the responses are 👍
Just to add, we have dodgy dealers here, what’s to stop them over in the eu saying yes we’ll repay when proof shown and it doesn’t happen?
German dealers are much more professional than most UK ones.

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Forgot to mention, had a call from a UK dealer regarding a possible trade in coming their way, somebody ordered new then decided too small so have ordered the larger model, it was registered in March 21 LHD, anyhow when asking about the price iv'e worked out they've knocked about 10K of list price,, now i understand it's a sellers market but surely the VAT should be missing from that also, we are always told you lose the VAT when you leave the forecourt, otherwise they are in for one significant profit second time around, just seems exceptionally greedy!

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Forgot to mention, had a call from a UK dealer regarding a possible trade in coming their way, somebody ordered new then decided too small so have ordered the larger model, it was registered in March 21 LHD, anyhow when asking about the price iv'e worked out they've knocked about 10K of list price,, now i understand it's a sellers market but surely the VAT should be missing from that also, we are always told you lose the VAT when you leave the forecourt, otherwise they are in for one significant profit second time around, just seems exceptionally greedy!
“Losing the VAT” is a complete myth perpetuated by MoHo buyers who want to ‘steal’ your nearly-new van off you and make a ridiculous margin, its a nonsense that is exposed at the moment by the swing in the market away from the buyer, due to lack of supply

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
but surely the VAT should be missing from that also, we are always told you lose the VAT when you leave the forecourt,
Salesman BS when they want to rip you off on a trade in, I traded our last van (in Belgium) I only lost 10% after 3 years. Vat is irelavant.

Sounds a good deal but as its already been registered and you will be the 2nd registered keeper and its their opening offer push for a bit more.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
“Losing the VAT” is a complete myth perpetuated by MoHo buyers who want to ‘steal’ your nearly-new van off you and make a ridiculous margin, its a nonsense that is exposed at the moment by the swing in the market away from the buyer, due to lack of supply
Well you certainly lose the accountability of the VAT element so somebody would not be interested in buying it on their business but that's quite rare anyway.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Forgot to mention, had a call from a UK dealer regarding a possible trade in coming their way, somebody ordered new then decided too small so have ordered the larger model, it was registered in March 21 LHD, anyhow........

Are they PX'ing it or have they rejected it?

Just saying - cos I don't trust dealers as far as I can throw them!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It may be that regardless of whether the MH is new or used the VAT is shown separately when vehicles are advertised for sale in the EU because each country will have its own VAT rate, so not paying VAT to the selling dealer but instead paying it in your own country makes sense.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Are they PX'ing it or have they rejected it?

Just saying - cos I don't trust dealers as far as I can throw them!!
Good point, I would ask for previous owners contact details, if the dealer refuses fear the worst.

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Good point, I would ask for previous owners contact details, if the dealer refuses fear the worst.
They have redacted the spec sheet, but I can see the name and company, not sure I should contact though, they have a business also, not sure what to do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back