Is it worth going to France for 1 week in van? (1 Viewer)

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, I'm just wondering if it's worth going to France for one week, could anyone tell us where we could get to and back in that time with say 3-4 stops? Looking at September .
Thanks

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Yes definitely. We went for the first time at the end of October for just 5 days. We used our Tesco vouchers for the tunnel - so in effect it cost us nothing. We stayed at a different Aire each night and visited the surrounding area/town.
Will have to start shopping at Tesco again as the vouchers are running out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Not worth the expense of the ferry for only a week...

Come down to Devon/Cornwall and enjoy the cost of the ferry and hospitality down West..(y)
I really want to visit Cornwall and have said I will now we have the van, but it's such a bad journey to get there I've never wanted to go in the car, probably not this year though as would need at least a week

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi @Diane1969,
I'd go France every time, roads so easy to drive & less conjested that is avoiding cities / large towns , most car parks free , loads of aires a high percentage are free or very reasonable, weather (normandy-Brittany) as good as UK if not better , we spent 16 nights over there total cost £47 , that was 2 c/sites & 1 aire the rest was free.
Hope you enjoy what ever you decide.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi @Diane1969,
I'd go France every time, roads so easy to drive & less conjested that is avoiding cities / large towns , most car parks free , loads of aires a high percentage are free or very reasonable, weather (normandy-Brittany) as good as UK if not better , we spent 16 nights over there total cost £47 , that was 2 c/sites & 1 aire the rest was free.
Hope you enjoy what ever you decide.
Last time I dis 17 days in our motorhome when my daughter was 3, 13 years ago and we got it so wrong, * left ir to the men to wodk out) we were travelling to Spain, we had pre booked sites and severely underestimated the travelling distance , ended up having to use tolls that we weren't going to originally. What we thought would take 3 hours turned into 13 hours , my daughter cried most of the time and I was so stressed it was awful , I really don't want to make the same mistake

Upvote 0

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
  • I really want to visit Cornwall and have said I will now we have the van, but it's such a bad journey to get there I've never wanted to go in the car, probably not this year though as would need at least a week

From Bedfordrshire??

And you are thinking of going to France for a week?!:cry:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie

• From Bedfordrshire??

And you are thinking of going to France for a week?!:cry:
You would have thought so wouldn't you! it was in the days before sat navs , we went with friends and really don't think the men had a clue which is why I traded my man in for a new model ☺ we didn't make it out of Calais without toll roads , actually visited some lovely places closer to this end and worst in South of France

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We stopped at a small aire at Cerisy la foret when wanting to go to Bayeux (about 13 miles )
GPS L'Esque
49.198139, -0.931972
nice aire if a bit remote, free water when we were there, over a hundred sculptures by this abbey
View attachment 83104
View attachment 83106
We were there last year, we got free electricity too!
The abbey is worth a visit too.
If it's travelling you want, you can get to the med and back in a week! Failing that, there are a few nice places on the Somme coast or down the east towards Troyes. Just enjoy it.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Diane,
Get yourselves a good satnav that accepts the size of your vehicle & will take gps settings, set to NO toll roads. Get campercontact app on phone ( very good aire info) best to pay for full version.
We never do more than about 180 miles max a day about 4 hrs relaxed driving on french roads. Put your chosen aires gps in satnav ( job done) on aire by about 2 pm then relax. If in the event its full or not to your likening move to the next one.
ENJOY !!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Go for it, cheaper and nicer than staying in the UK, as said the north coast of France is interesting, great cliff walks and of course all the D-Day beaches and museums loads to due, well worth the effort.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
As Lenny says above, WW2 stuff is easy to get to. Pegasus Bridge and museum near Caen and D Day beaches and museums ( Utah Beach museum is brilliant) are well worth a visit, you could spend your week there easily with plenty of aires to chose from.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't agree with the people who say no toll roads ever no matter what though. We're usually on a limited time scale as well and the last thing I want to do is waste an extra day driving through random countryside and villages just for the sake of saving a couple of Euros.
We've got a Sanef Liber-t tag for the toll roads which just adds the charge to our account when we drive through the barrier. No faffing around with tickets or credit cards.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
I don't agree with the people who say no toll roads ever no matter what though. We're usually on a limited time scale as well and the last thing I want to do is waste an extra day driving through random countryside and villages just for the sake of saving a couple of Euros.
We've got a Sanef Liber-t tag for the toll roads which just adds the charge to our account when we drive through the barrier. No faffing around with tickets or credit cards.
I like the sound of that , will look at getting one

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
If you drive to Caen from Calais you only really need to use one toll road ( Boulogne to Abbeville) and the difference in time is less than about an hour, saving you over €20 (more than €40 on a return trip). Do this a few times ( which we do going to Brittany) and the cost saving is significant.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
I will just add I'm hoping to see some pretty villages and places with cycle routes and walks , I'm not really a museum person more about beautiful scenery, cafes, bistros and beaches. Relaxing by being active

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I did just read somewhere that our van is too big, only for under 3.5 tonnes

So is ours. Don't worry about it. ;)

Technically anything over 3.5t is meant to be Class 3 but that is aimed at commercial vehicles rather than camping cars.

Never ever been charged anything other than Class 2 when paying cash or card. If it ever does try and charge you Class 3 press the button, tell them you're a camping car and they will change it. With the tag you can only be charged class 2 as they don't issue it to class 3 vehicles so it removes even the possibility of it charging you the higher rate.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I will just add I'm hoping to see some pretty villages and places with cycle routes and walks , I'm not really a museum person more about beautiful scenery, cafes, bistros and beaches. Relaxing by being active
My advice then is to stay off toll roads, some of the nicest places we have seen have been well off the beaten track, usually discovered when we have taken a wrong turn and gone off the main roads....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
So is ours. Don't worry about it. ;)

Technically anything over 3.5t is meant to be Class 3 but that is aimed at commercial vehicles rather than camping cars.

Never ever been charged anything other than Class 2 when paying cash or card. If it ever does try and charge you Class 3 press the button, tell them you're a camping car and they will change it. With the tag you can only be charged class 2 as they don't issue it to class 3 vehicles so it removes even the possibility of it charging you the higher rate.
Thanks that's good to know

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
My advice then is to stay off toll roads, some of the nicest places we have seen have been well off the beaten track, usually discovered when we have taken a wrong turn and gone off the main roads....
I don't suppose you could give me some names of places please? I keep searching

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Get yourself the All the Aires book ( if you haven't already got it, or Camperstop Europe or Campercontact (as Fidget said), and a good road map. Have a good look at the aires around where you fancy and plan your trip in conjunction with a good book on French villages. ( Waterstones sell a few good ones)
We also have a book on French Markets ( Tarragon and Truffles) lots of info on villages and their markets. That way you get to see some of the nicest parts of rural France and you don't have to travel miles.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Yes yes yes, 2 days driving to ' the med' we are today in t shirts, shorts and flip flops and staying on an airs looking out onto ' the med', only one problem.....the bloody mozzies, but hey, it's worth the problem !

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Mossies get me anywhere I go, so it wouldn't bother me, I like the idea of shorts at this time of year though.......

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back