Is it worth buying a cheap MH so I cna save more quicker (1 Viewer)

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Ive had a slight financial hitch so I am not going to make my £45000 target for another year (2018).

Is it worth buying a cheap £10-15000 mh early next year (March 2016) to allow me to make more savings to get to my goal sooner (March 2017) as I would be saving money on virgin, rent, council tax and all the other bills that come with a house?

Would I get much of the 10-15000 back come trade in again a 45000 mh?

When it comes to cash it would be in the individual but I dont want to spend money on a temp mh only to loose a lot come trade in time.

Does anyone have experience in trading in old cheaper mh again a newer type?

Thanks,
Chris

OP
OP
clyle

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Ive just found out that due to bank charges many years ago I have been added to some Scottish ccj thing and I wont get cred for the next 6 year. SO I was planning on saving 35 and getting HP for 10 to bring it up to 45 but now that plan has been stopped.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ive just found out that due to bank charges many years ago I have been added to some Scottish ccj thing and I wont get cred for the next 6 year. SO I was planning on saving 35 and getting HP for 10 to bring it up to 45 but now that plan has been stopped.

I don't know but is there no appeal procedure against a ccj

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clyle

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I dont think so. I contacted the financial ombudsman as I got a letter telling me if I paid in 30 days it would be removed, i got the letter1 day after and it was sent out 3 weeks into the decree. Its not even that much I was just not paying it as it wasn't money owed but charges. Virtual money not even real money. So when I agreed to pay it they started the decree process.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Size of the van matters when fulltiming in both directions. I have been fulltiming for over 6 years now and on my 3rd vehicle. The big ones are nice and comfortable to live in but not very practical for getting around/parking/going places.

My latest is a panel van conversion which has been great. It is not suitable for your needs though.
I would love to get one like @Jim has which has a fairly small footprint but the slide out makes it luxurious. However if I can't raise the money then I would settle for a Hymer 584 or similar with the drop down bed that you don't have to make up each night but gets out the way when you are not using it.

The other thing I would say is that I know of very very few people who have purchased the right one first time. Usually the second or third is the one they fall in love with. I know it was my second one that I loved the most.

I can't advise on the financial aspects, but buying a cheap one to start with to find out what works and what doesn't for you may be a good idea. You can also find out if the size is a problem or a benefit before committing your full funds to the big one.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I dont think so. I contacted the financial ombudsman as I got a letter telling me if I paid in 30 days it would be removed, i got the letter1 day after and it was sent out 3 weeks into the decree. Its not even that much I was just not paying it as it wasn't money owed but charges. Virtual money not even real money. So when I agreed to pay it they started the decree process.

Hmmm..that's tough. I would seek advice and see if you can get it set aside

CAB and citizens direct for free advice

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

https://www.citizensadvicedirect.org.uk/

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I don't know but is there no appeal procedure against a ccj
If you have genuine reasons to object to the issuing of the CCJ, ie papers delivered to the wrong address, and trial held "in absentia" then you can apply to have the CCJ set aside, but it costs about £150 in England, not sure about Scotland, but I imagine similar. Any bailiffs fees are then recoverable, and the process starts again afresh. This is the point when you pay up!

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I should point out, that you can only do this if you have a genuine reason to set aside the original order, the phrase:
Virtual money not even real money.
Worries me a little, it sounds way too much like someone from the freemen on the land have been giving you farcical pseudo legal mumbo jumbo. Please be aware that there has never been a documented case of a FMOTL victory, but there are plenty in gaol wishing they hadn't listened!

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I was in a similar situation, I got a two berth caravan and parked it on a small local site with the awning up and came to an agreement over long stay pitch price with the owner, when my two young boys came to stay we all slept in the big made up bed with me in the middle..! They loved coming as they had all the site to play in and we had great fun, that lasted about a year as I got to know the owner and he gave me a favourable rate to stay in one of his on site holiday cabins with two bedrooms which was better, but it was cosy in the 16ft caravan.. Back to your situation I've recently been looking at a German site equivalent to autotrader and the savings are remarkable and importing is getting much easier now and the dvla supply a pack with all the info and documents.
Also please be aware that situations like yours can and do change in an instance... I hope it all goes well for you and if you get one your child will have an adventure..:smiley:

Upvote 0

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
If you feel the need to buy a 'temporary' van my advice is go for an older VW or Mercedes based van then when you have the funds look for a much newer Mercedes based van, German build quality rules and coupled to one of the quality Coachbuilders is will always be desirable.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back