Is It Trendy to have a Motorhome? (1 Viewer)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Ask her where she spent New Year's Eve and where she will be while you're off ski-ing. She probably thinks a holiday is three weeks getting skin cancer on a spanish beach in August and fighting her way through airports etc:ROFLMAO:.

D.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Oh come on you lot...
Face the facts...
Motorhomes are definitely NOT... I repeat NOT... trendy...
I wouldn't have one it they were...
JJ :Cool:
Skis on the roof won't help either 'cos old people go skiing...

I suggest a couple of [HI]surf boards[/HI] though... [HI]old gits don't go surfing[/HI]...

In that case I'm not an old git........

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
We have had a bit of a giggle this PM. she has now returned home to her Arigga Bianchi Sofa (I think thats what they call it).

======

Oh for goodness sake Paul ,its obvious , surely ? Forget all this planning and looking forward to going on skiing trips, meets , general other regular good times out and about with your family and friends.

Do what she does , go home and plonk your backside on a Arigga Bianchi sofa and feel that your life is now trendy and fulfilled because you have one of them .:Eeek:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
5 years ago average age of van owner was about mid to late 50's

Today it is early 40's

And I reckon it would be a lot lower if motorhomes were more affordable

As to sad.. How many sad mhomers do YOU know !!!! Not a lot thats for sure :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We decided to get ours before we got "old" so that we could get more years of enjoyment out of it. The only downside is I am now jealous of those that are retired or have jobs that allow them to go away for weeks on end. Starting motorhoming is one of the best things we have done. One of my work colleagues saw us driving off for New Year. He did comment that we both looked so happy. I suppose it is because as soon as we get in to set off somewhere we just relax as we look on the journey as part of the fun. We have enjoyed holidays to Kenya, Egypt etc over the years. Great when you get there but stressful at airports etc getting there.
The way I see it is people do not get a motorhome for age related reasons. They get one because they choose to and have reached a point in their life that they can afford one.
Really looking forward to heading to a friends wedding in France soon. Will be pestering for tips for going overseas nearer the time.:thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
5 years ago average age of van owner was about mid to late 50's

Today it is early 40's

And I reckon it would be a lot lower if motorhomes were more affordable

As to sad.. How many sad mhomers do YOU know !!!! Not a lot thats for sure :thumb:

That's surely guess work?

Not the research I have seen.

Research I have seen is that over 75% of motorhomers are over 55 :Eeek:
god if that's true I am an old git

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
My colleague has just caught me reading teh blog of a couple of old(er) travellers and stated.

" Paul you are a sad old git"

"why?" I answered.

To what she replied--

"Only sad old gits have motorhomes, end of"

to which I replied "I am not sad and an old git"

she then replied " you are old before your time"

Should I therefore sell up, or do what Karen says will be trendy and buy a "Campervan oohhh hold on she says a VW Campervan?"

Or
B) Accept I am old before my time and a boring twat. :thumb:

Answers Please.

It's an plain fact, if you are under 25 do A, over 25 are B

Jamie (long time old git and enjoying it)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That's surely guess work?

Not the research I have seen.

Research I have seen is that over 75% of motorhomers are over 55 :Eeek:
god if that's true I am an old git

Who cares?

It sounded good:thumb:

Seriously though I think by the time you are 40 these days and have some dough and a family and don't fancy tugging, it's the thing to do.

I hate flying these days with all the hanging about. At least with the m/h you can do things on your own terms.

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Some of these replies have literally had me laughing my socks off!!

I was 30 and hubby was 32 when we got our motorhome ( we are now 34 & 36). We had 2 kids and a baby on the way at the time. My mum and Dad always said they would get one when Dad retired it was all they went on about when we were kids, sadly it wasn't to be as he is no longer with us and we lost him at just 53, why wait? Just get on with it and enjoy it! Potentially I could have 23 years worth of hols and seen a lot of places and experienced a lot of things by the time I get to 53! :thumb:

Having a motorhome has enabled us to have some fantastic holidays over the last few years. It is the best thing we have ever done, we have had a few quips from people (sister in law mainly) like 'i bet you look like gypsies driving around' 'do you do tarmac' !!! But i do just put it down to jealousy :RollEyes:

My sister has gone from towing to a motorhome and she is 32 hubby is 41.

Generally though people of our age group love ours and are admittedly green that they haven't got one as I am that the sis has a brand new one and we haven't! I will be sad this year as it is has to go (temperary) while we move house and are able to upgrade when we are in the new place.

It is coming at a cost to our hols though, 3 weeks in southern France will be around the £3,000 for a static, I don't think so!!:Eeek: How many breaks would you get for that in the motorhome?

On another note though the motorhome mags and the dealers are not very welcoming to younger ones, everytime without fail they have looked at us like we are just out window shopping and are there with a daydream :RollEyes:

One for you Scotjimland....I have got a 4x4, I wear Uggs (the real ones) etc,etc! and I am desperatley trying to be trendy in my 30's, even the hubby calls me chavtastic :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So no Paul I don't think you are old before your time!!

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
If being a sad old git means owning a motor home meeting up with good friends having a bloody good time making a fool of yourself......then guess what I've been a sad old git since I was 22 and still having a bloody good time being one :thumb: trouble is I am now old enough to be one :ROFLMAO:

All the best Rick

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
People can be old before their time and boring , with or without a motorhome. You must admit , you do see some grumpy looking old gits in them. But when you give them a wave you sometimes get a shocked wave and smile. Dont forget when you get old , your face is naturally grumpy looking when relaxed:ROFLMAO:

Ive noticed mine getting like that when I catch a glimpse when the screen darkens on the laptop.:whatthe:

Being a funster is great because everyone is friendly and welcoming. Its not always the same being younger motorhomers , with kids .
Going to a site and trying to talk to other motorhomers is a bit different. ( not always I may add )
Because we are not wearing beige , or a wolf/dog fleece:winky: we are often tolerated and politely acknowledged. Often stared at . But not really included.
I dont think they expect us to be friendly . Though we are , and always say hello and smile at everyone.

I even heard a woman , talking about us , when i was in the loo on a site . Amongst other things she said
" These young uns have to have everything , now , these days , and all on the never never ! "
Her friend then said " Your right , designer this and that , and posh wellies "
(I actually laughed out loud to that. :ROFLMAO:)
I came out of the toilet cubicle and said ,
" Actually , our motorhome is bought and paid for and we dont do credit. Oh , and i got my wellies from TKMaxx "

Their faces ,:Blush: :ROFLMAO:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Smacks of jealousy to me...

And I think she wants your body.. :Cool:

take her away for a weekend and play at doctors and nurses..:winky::ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
My colleague has just caught me reading teh blog of a couple of old(er) travellers and stated.

" Paul you are a sad old git"

"why?" I answered.

To what she replied--

"Only sad old gits have motorhomes, end of"

to which I replied "I am not sad and an old git"

she then replied " you are old before your time"

Should I therefore sell up, or do what Karen says will be trendy and buy a "Campervan oohhh hold on she says a VW Campervan?"

Or
B) Accept I am old before my time and a boring twat. :thumb:

Answers Please.

B

wander

Free Member
Jul 29, 2011
Calpe, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
If that's the case then Calpe must be the European capital of 'sad old gits'. The new aire on the edge of our estate has so many vans tightly packed it looks like a second-hand motorhome sales park, calpemar site is full and not much better, la-merced site pretty full, just round the corner there are 8 mh's wild camping on one street and down near the seafront another crowd of 8 or more doing the same and there are ones and twos parked up on just about every vacant spot you can find. (no wonder our vegitation is so green! :Eeek:). Got to be in excess of 250 around here, but I haven't seen any of them looking sad! :Smile:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
is it trendy???????????:Doh:
who want's to be trendy?????????:Doh:not me:Sad:
by being trendy you have to follow trend's,so following everyone else:RollEyes:
i call it being sheepy,baaaa:Sad:
for some its like owning an iphone/ipad,not that good, but it's trendy:Sad:
like drinking alcopops,not nice but trendy:Sad:
for me a motorhome serves a purpose,and that's it:thumb::bigsmile:ont care how old it is,or how it look's,as long as it does the job:thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well in his own words he is 1/2 horse , dont you know:winky::ROFLMAO:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Is it trendy?

God I hope not I've never been trendy and never want to be always gone my own way.

My only regret is we did'nt have one when the kids were younger they would have loved it.

Not sure the poor buggers parked next to us would though when our 4 ruffians piled out.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
If being trendy means freezing your nuts off, having no space for your kit, having no shower or hot water, sitting on a porta-potti in front of your other half, wiping condensation of all of your windows constantly and having to always use sites, then you can keep your VW campervan!:Smile:
We'll be the boring farts enjoying an endless supply of beer from our 150l fridge and enjoying X-factor on satellite TV!
Old before our time? No, just wiser for our age!::bigsmile:

I repair bodywork on M/H `s and caravans all day, often work on the (vw) types, and can never see the point of putting up with it!
Maybe all those guys walking around down cornwall with a bad stoop and a surfboard under one hand and a walking stick in the other is because they spend all day bent over (doing everything!) because there is no head room!

All summer the M5 is usually scattered with blown up vedubs with dudes scrathching the dreadlocks toting on a ice cream cone spliff wondering why- man?
It has too be a trend, i can remember my daughter just HAD to wear her spice girl shoes to school, i can see her now walking like she was disabled, ---- all for fashion !! no thanks, i would rather be a old git and comfortable!

joner:thumb:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I've never been trendy in my life.
I do stuff cos I want too and enjoy what I do.
When it stops being enjoyable I do something else (as in, don't have a VW campervan anymore, MHs are so much more fun now I can afford one).
Trendy seems such a pain in the bum as it changes all the time. I'm to slow to keep up anyway.
I'll be glad when corduroy trousers and velvet jackets come back in to fashion so that I can be trendy. By the time I'd bought mine it was too late ! :Doh:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
nope its not a trend its a way of life
most can only dream of owning a £40K motorhome
if they could afford to buy one i am sure most would

a great life traveling in style with all the home comforts (not Camping or roughing it)

bets thing i ever did was to buy my motor home !!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back