TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
That's nonsense.

The appropriate speed for any particular road will depend on the size and type of vehicle you're using.

Of course skill level comes into it as well. Perhaps you were driving at an appropriate speed for your skills. What's the problem if people who are more skilled choose to overtake?
So i suppose those round signs with 30 written on them mean nothing

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Ummm. could be that the hard shoulder is for the use of emergencies, not for motorbikes to undertake because they can't be arsed to queue like the rest of us:whistle:

Please tell us how many times you have been undertaken by a bike on a hard shoulder in the UK? And also what is a D Road in the UK?
I could count on one hand how many times I have seen bikes use the hard shoulder in traffic, I would need many hands to count the car / van drivers who have done it close to a M way junction. Bikers don’t need the hard shoulder as we can legally... yes legally filter through the traffic and also use a lot of bus lanes (legally undertaking you). Are you getting confused with the new smart motorways when the Old hard shoulder is now used as a lane when the signs indicate it can be? At that point are you still sitting in lane 2 / 3 at 55 mph instead of moving left into lane 1 ?
Anyone undertaking on a regular road apart from when a vehicle is turning right will end up in a box..
Want to go Pillion on my bike for a day and understand why we ride how we do or do you want carry on being annoyed that we can filter and get to places faster on two wheels rather than 4 or 6?
I ride for a job and would be delighted to “educate” you in the joys of two wheels, genuine offer.
No need to worry, I have just had a pillion on for around 20k miles over winter and he said I didn’t scare him once...
Let me know...

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Agreed, but on the flip side of that, I am fed up of have motorbike riders overtaking and undertaking me when I am travelling at the correct speed for a particular road...
There are as many bad motorbikers as there are car drivers
I'd have thought overtaking was fine? Why would that make you fed up?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's not a case of if i like being overtaken.. if you bother to re-read my post i clearly said i was fed up of being UNDERTAKEN and OVERTAKEN when i am travelling at the CORRECT speed for the road.
In other words some motor bike riders have absolutely no regard for the speed limits on our roads.

Read you own post #24 it says it all
I ride bikes & drive cars and have absolutely no regard for many of the arbitrary and inappropriate speed limits on our roads.

Jan 17, 2013
Whittington, Oswestry
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2000
Chris, before you decide to stop riding have you considered doing an advanced rider course. There are several options/groups that run these courses. Details can be found here:
Do a course and then you will know whether the reason you ride has really gone. If it is no longer enjoyable then it is not worth it.
Like you I rode the big beemers but now getting a Triumph Tiger 800. Only around 200kg but the 95bhp allows quick overtaking and puts a smile on your face.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I've been riding for 56 years and own two large heavy bikes, I ride at least every week and only ice and snow stop me. I do about 16k miles PA. 3 years ago, to convince myself I was still safe, I did the IAM motorcycle test and achieved 99%.

As previously stated, get a professional assessment of your riding.

There again if your not enjoying riding then best to hang up your helmet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back