Is it time to pack in? (2 Viewers)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
It's not a case of if i like being overtaken.. if you bother to re-read my post i clearly said i was fed up of being UNDERTAKEN and OVERTAKEN when i am travelling at the CORRECT speed for the road.
In other words some motor bike riders have absolutely no regard for the speed limits on our roads.

Read you own post #24 it says it all

OK then, why are you fed up of being overtaken when driving at the correct speed for the road? (in your opinion of course)

If someone wants to drive faster than you, what does it matter?. If somebody passes me at twice the speed limit it's none of my business, I'm not the police.

I think maybe you have envy/anger issues.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
A bike can stop quicker, a bike can go where you can't, a bike can position for better visibility than you, more options available.
They also have less protection, and are more likely to get hurt if involved in a crash

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
If u are not comfortable riding then give up. You need to be in the right frame of mind when riding. Some refresher training may help but the other cretins on the road will not have had the benefit of such.
I was a senior m/c observer for the iam and some silly bitch (sorry ladies) still got me.
The flying was ok without training but for the landing I could have done with a few lessons.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Chris, Please don’t take this the wrong way but have you thought about doing some retraining? Things have changed in recent years, “when I was a lad” it was all about shoulder checks and now it’s much more focused on looking in front for the dangers ahead. Overtakes should be done as fast as possible as far away from the car (on the offside) as possible.
Advanced trainings now is about “Commanding your position” or words to that effect, not riding near the kerb and having a road presence.
Maybe go to a bike safe type event and have a ride assessment or go to the local IAM / Rospa club? http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/
Just missed the last one I think but these are good events to chat to people about training.
https://www.staffsbiker.co.uk/
With good training it Is easier to avoid the idiots on the phone, smoking a splif, putting make up on etc etc. Advanced riding Isn’t all about speed... however that bit can be fun.
Good luck.
That's very interesting because the idea of trying to "command the road" is how push bikes should be ridden. Not in the gutter and in the middle of the road if necessary to stop vehicles overtaking where it is unsafe. Of course most car drivers in the UK know nothing of this so they just get annoyed. I've found it very different in France and Spain on a push bike. How is it for motorcycles there?

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
They are also more able to avoid a crash due to being smaller (fit through a gap) and much more agile than a car or a 4 ton Motorhome.
Serious question, have you ever ridden a bike?
No, frightens the life out of me.. :eek::eek:
seen to many accidents thanks

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
That's very interesting because the idea of trying to "command the road" is how push bikes should be ridden. Not in the gutter and in the middle of the road if necessary to stop vehicles overtaking where it is unsafe. Of course most car drivers in the UK know nothing of this so they just get annoyed. I've found it very different in France and Spain on a push bike. How is it for motorcycles there?
I ride to Spain for work several times a year and generally the French are pretty good, The Spanish less so but not by much. It's a utter free for all in the traffic in the cities and people coming past on bikes at silly speeds wearing a suit and shoes. On the roads they do seem to see you easier. My mate has a theory that due to lots of kids riding scooters at an early age in France and Spain they are more tuned in to bikes. I think I agree with him... Spent a week in the northern mountains of Spain in Feb this year leading bikers every day, LOTS of signs saying give way to push bikes on the roads with directions to leave x metres as you overtake them. Two wheels seem to have more respect in France and Spain, with or without an engine.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Back on topic, if you are becoming nervous or agitated when riding your motorbike, then yes it is time to pack it in

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but my guess is that you already knew that before you started this thread

I hope the times you have spent on two wheels have given you a million or more happy memories, I know mine have

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I rode bikes. (and did some racing) for years but I too noticed a big.change in the driving habits of others. Where once I felt safe and secure in my own riding ability, there came a time where I was more concerned about the lack of ability in others and this often left me feeling vulnerable. That lead to a bit of nervousness on my part and, twenty years ago I hung up my boots and helmet. I thought giving up would kill me but no, I just found other things to do. Me giving up the bike left the space for those things to happen and I never looked back. I do still look at the bikes and think how it must be to be back in that mindset, but those thoughts are fleeting. For me it was the right decision. You will never come to your decision by asking for options because everyone has their own opinion coming from their own experience and value judgements. Get yourself out somewhere quiet, sit quiet, ask yourself the question and the answer will come. Although, as others have said, the fact that you are asking here might be that you already know the answer but you’re not listening. :). I wish you well.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
How is it for motorcycles there?

My impression is "better". A combination of more alert drivers plus the much better traffic just as we find in the MH. And of course they have proper job hills to entertain us.

One memorable trip, we were riding from Maggiore to Florence through Genoa ( probably over that bridge ) when the motorway ground to a halt. Soon a bike passed us on the hard shoulder, then another, so "when in Rome" we followed, no-one complained and where the hard shoulder stopped for a bridge cars let us in with no fuss. It was brilliant, passing new Ferraris stuck for ages.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I hate it when motorcycles pass me when there is a traffic jam by going along the hard shoulder.

Just in case someone opens a door in front of them (I have seen that and it wasn't pretty), or if they hit debris on the hard shoulder, or if another vehicle pulls into the hard shoulder and without seeing them. Maybe it is just me but I see hazards everywhere!

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
It doesn't pay to ride on hard shoulder with any vehicle inc bike , as they will use cameras to enforce , Its £100 fpn and endorsable !

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
That's very interesting because the idea of trying to "command the road" is how push bikes should be ridden. Not in the gutter and in the middle of the road if necessary to stop vehicles overtaking where it is unsafe
That wouldn't be for me, I keep well out of the way, the speed differential between a pushbike at 10mph and a car at 50+ mph would frighten the life out of me. I do try to "command the road" though as a motorcyclist but then it's just a few mph difference between us..

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Puddleduck, those sufficiently stupid and selfish to ride on the hard shoulder deserve all they get perhaps even a Darwin Award.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Ummm. could be that the hard shoulder is for the use of emergencies, not for motorbikes to undertake because they can't be arsed to queue like the rest of us:whistle:
:ROFLMAO: you just don't like being overtaken do you? Forget the hard shoulder, I don't mean that... you think that bikes shouldn't filter or overtake and sit in the tailback with the cars. I bet you say "Bloomin' marvelous" a lot :ROFLMAO:

You aren't alone, I was filtering down the middle of the A617 duel carriageway a few weeks ago and an old estate car in the left had lane moved right out to the right of the lane to stop me passing, I waited a few seconds until level with a van that gave me more space and I was through. Sorry, but I can't be arsed to queue with the cars :love: :cool:

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
:ROFLMAO: you just don't like being overtaken do you? Forget the hard shoulder, I don't mean that... you think that bikes shouldn't filter or overtake and sit in the tailback with the cars. I bet you say "Bloomin' marvelous" a lot :ROFLMAO:

You aren't alone, I was filtering down the middle of the A617 duel carriageway a few weeks ago and an old estate car in the left had lane moved right out to the right of the lane to stop me passing, I waited a few seconds until level with a van that gave me more space and I was through. Sorry, but I can't be arsed to queue with the cars :love: :cool:
No problem with overtaking... its undertaking that pisses me off.. for one reason only... Its dangerous
I just love your choice of words you think that bikes shouldn't filter or overtake for that read, you think that bikes shouldn't try to squeeze though any gap either to the right or left of any moving vehicle.... lets be totally honest there are as many bad motor bike riders as there are car drivers.. and no one can say that they have never been undertaken on a D road by some numpty on a bike, who has then speeded off into the sunset :LOL:

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I commute daily via motorcycle, which means I overtake and filter through traffic (arguably undertake?) on a daily basis. There’s no point riding a smaller agile vehicle if you don’t exploit the advantages.

However, I think my days of doing so through the winter are now done. I can no longer enjoy/tolerate that anymore (old and weak ;)). When I stop enjoying powered 2 wheeled vehicles, or if I overly worry about the “what if’s”, it will be time to hang up the helmet. Only you know when that time has come for you, and there’s no shame in that when it does.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No there is not a correct speed for me and another for a motor bike, there is a correct speed for the road.

That's nonsense.

The appropriate speed for any particular road will depend on the size and type of vehicle you're using.

Of course skill level comes into it as well. Perhaps you were driving at an appropriate speed for your skills. What's the problem if people who are more skilled choose to overtake?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I also always filter when necessary. If non-bikers (can we use the term cagers here? :whistle:) want to call that undertaking that's fine, I don't really care.

I don't know about the rest of you but when I learnt to ride it was part of the training. I know that now you will fail your Mod 2 test if you sit in traffic and don't filter.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
There are good and bad riders and drivers. If I had the money living on sark with no cars is very appealing to me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back