Is it time to pack in?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles and Motorhomes' started by Chris51, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Chris51

Chris51 Funster

Ratings:
    +404
    Been riding bikes for 51 yrs and was the usual "hooligan" (like most of us ) in the early days.Now I ride "defensively " and stick to the speed limits/lights on/give benefit of doubts/Hi-Viz etc.If I could go out for a ride and know if I had an accident it would be my fault I would be happy. But it seems to get more dangerous nowadays with drivers pulling out /cutting you up.This morning only got a couple of miles out when car turned across me into junction when I was right on him-just managed to stop,then coming back following a Fiesta at 40 mph started overtaking it got up to 60 mph indicated to pull back in and checked mirror and noticed him on my back wheel.Tried to pull him up after that to ask him why but gave up.Why do these morons do it?I have been lucky over the years and had many tours here and abroad and seriously thinking of calling it a day and just using the little bike on back of camper cause I don't want hospital food!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

Ratings:
    +4,309
    @Chris51 there are a lot of idiots about, can understand how you feel. I rarely ride pillion in the UK now but John gets out as often as he can. this year as we are traveling with non biker friends, we are taking the cycles with us. probably the same folk who pull out in front of motorhomes because they think they will get stuck behind, or we don't move very fast. Think it should be compulsary to at least ride pillion before sitting behind a steering wheel. unless health problems prevent it.

• Like it Like it x 3
  3. Chris51

Chris51 Funster

Ratings:
    +404
    Quite agree should have to ride a m/cycle for a year before being allowed to drive a car.

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
    • Love it Love it x 1
  4. nicholsong

nicholsong Funster

Ratings:
    +2,803

But they would do it on 'L'' plates.

What are you thinking about?

5. LesW

LesW Funster

Suffolk, twixt Bury St Edmunds & Stowmarket
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    Out of curiosity @Chris51, what bike do you ride?

6. Chris51

Chris51 Funster

Ratings:
    +404
    2005 Honda Deauville 650.---Innova for c/van. Used to have the big Be-ems but got too heavy.Reguards Chrs.

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  7. Chris51

Chris51 Funster

Ratings:
    +404
    Make it compulsory to pass their test before driving a motor ?

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +10,645
    I’ve always thought drivers should have to spend at least 12 months on 2 wheels before being allowed to drive a car. Not bothered if they do it all on L plates.

The thought process is simply that riding a bike gives you a much greater hazard perception awareness, makes you more aware of different road conditions and the affect that that has on vehicle stability, how fast speed actually is ( eg 60 mph = 88 feet per second, that’s quite a long way when events are rapidly unfolding in front of you) and so on.

Then again, I also think that compulsory national service should be re-introduced (wish I’d done some service with hindsight) so maybe I’m just out of touch!

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Love it Love it x 1
  9. Vansflyer

Vansflyer Funster

Ratings:
    +158
    Chris, Please don’t take this the wrong way but have you thought about doing some retraining? Things have changed in recent years, “when I was a lad” it was all about shoulder checks and now it’s much more focused on looking in front for the dangers ahead. Overtakes should be done as fast as possible as far away from the car (on the offside) as possible.
    Advanced trainings now is about “Commanding your position” or words to that effect, not riding near the kerb and having a road presence.
    Maybe go to a bike safe type event and have a ride assessment or go to the local IAM / Rospa club? http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/
    Just missed the last one I think but these are good events to chat to people about training.
    https://www.staffsbiker.co.uk/
    With good training it Is easier to avoid the idiots on the phone, smoking a splif, putting make up on etc etc. Advanced riding Isn’t all about speed... however that bit can be fun.
    Good luck.

• Like it Like it x 2
  10. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +5,253
    Nowadays its a step beyond "defensive driving" its ride so you treat everyone as someone who's out to kill you ! I also make me and the bike as visible as possible , his vis clothing , white helmet, hi power led spot lights on front in daytime . Hi viz markings on bike. Good mirrors , It does help . I also endorse @Vansflyer especially if you havent done advanced training previously

11. TeeMyob

TeeMyob Funster

Ratings:
    +2,549
    27BA5C9F-EE5C-4477-815B-5356843F68D8.png I avoid riding a push bike in the road. I have considered a piaggio mp3 and then have a really big think and might get one for Spain.

My friends friend lost his young son a couple of weeks ago.

12. TCG

TCG Funster

Ratings:
    +564
    Agreed, but on the flip side of that, I am fed up of have motorbike riders overtaking and undertaking me when I am travelling at the correct speed for a particular road...
    There are as many bad motorbikers as there are car drivers

• Like it Like it x 3
  13. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

Ratings:
    +12,559
    As I've got older I've got more defensive in my riding. Only yesterday out in Derbyshire on a narrow country road I was taking a blind bend on the crest of a hill when a cyclist came round the corner struggling to get up. Instinct kicked in and I slowed to a walking pace when a prat came the other way trying to pass him completely filling the road. I think the fact that I was on a large Goldwing made him stop, not convinced that if I bad been on a push bike that he would have.

14. Richard and Ann

Richard and Ann Funster

Ratings:
    +4,410
    Why don't you like being overtaken?

• Like it Like it x 2
  15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +40,406

You survived. How are you for bright lights ? After being punted off 3 years ago I fitted DRLs and LED headlamp plus hi-vis jacket and I'm still going strong.

Wife had a few days in Spanish hospital and food was excellent. I don't why UK ones will be any worse.

16. hilldweller

Ratings:
    +40,406
    There's a correct speed for you and a correct speed for a smaller lighter vehicle.

Saying "undertake" immediately says to me that you were lane hogging, but I may be wrong.

• Like it Like it x 1
  17. Chris51

Chris51 Funster

Ratings:
    +404
    If I hadn't been an "experienced " rider I would have been off.You cant help if a car driver thinks its funny to accelerate when you overtake because they are driving slowly.I always look well ahead and try to predict happenings Training wont sort out idiot drivers who want to take it out of other road users .Riding for all these years and still being here accounts for something. Bottom line is you have to recognise that on a bike you are vunerable and no matter how much training you have there are still bad drivers who can easily fetch a "trained" rider off.

18. hilldweller

Ratings:
    +40,406
    I try to avoid such roads at weekend. There's a lot of those "I own the road in my huge SUV" types out then.

I was out in Wales, Ponderosa Cafe, big mistake, traffic was terrible. Spent far too long filtering past queues but no-one complained, no-one was harmed. The cafe was heaving, no sausage rolls which was a real bummer. Anyway, it was better than not being on a bike.

• Like it Like it x 1
  19. Richard and Ann

Richard and Ann Funster

Ratings:
    +4,410
    If you can be harassed by a Ford Fiesta your either not opening the throttle enough or there's something wrong with your bike :D2 No road legal car would come even close to keeping up with my trusty 600 Ninja (y) (up to 130 anyway :ROFLMAO:)

• Like it Like it x 3
  20. Vansflyer

Vansflyer Funster

Ratings:
    +158
    Your bike will easily out accelerate most cars hence the need to get past and do the move quickly so if they mess around you are still safe.
    Training doesn’t get rid of the cretins on the road but does help you spot them and take the appropriate action.
    Yes you must be doing it well to have survived so long but we can all polish our skills a little more no matter how long we have ridden.
    All we can ever do is minimise the risk of being nurfed and that includes good training and wearing the correct gear if the worst does happen.