Is it safe or was it safe where you live ? (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Just watched a program I recorded Portillo's Hidden History of Britain , " here in Suffolk just 24 miles up the road is Orfordness Island where the program talked about what was going on in the MOD secret establishment there, it closed in 1976 I knew the place was there what I did not realise was they were developing the "H"Bomb ! which is a 1000 times more powerful than the one dropped on Japan .
Just up the road 30 miles away we also have Sizewell "A" Nuclear Power Station , (now being decommissioned) Sizewell "B" is now operating, and there is now an enquiry "Should they be allowed to build Sizewell "C" . This will be built by EDF and the Chinese !! At least we live in the best part of the country if these Power Staions blow up we will go to our Maker pretty quickly.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
It’s an interesting question. Generally I think Scotland is quite safe BUT we have Hunterston nuclear powerstation within 30 miles and Prestwick Airport within 10 miles. Either of these could be terrorist targets.

As an aside we have a house in Torridon, in the NW highlands. When the Ebola scare was on, my then 10 year old son was quite worried about it. So I told him not to worry, if anything happened we’d head up to Torridon, nice and remote.

We then set off up north for Christmas/New Year in Torridon. Drove past the Torridon youth hostel as an ambulance with doctors in white haz mat suits were taking a visitor who had just flown to n from Africa and had Ebola like symptoms to hospital. Luckily, it was just flu.

But a reminder that no where is safe.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
No need to worry about the power stations blowing up, I’d be more concerned with living near the many routes the nuclear fuel and waste travels to and from the stations.
Thankfully, there is info in France available online to see if you live near any nuclear power stations, fuel routes or enrichment plants.
We don’t live near anything dangerous.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We are 18 miles, as the Crow flies, from RAF Fylingdales early warning radar station and around 7 miles from RAF Staxton wold tracking station.
If the Russians or North Koreans or anyone else with scrambled egg for brains and nuclear weapons decides to bomb either of these, (Fylingdales being a primary target) Scarborough won't be needing any holidaymakers for around 5000 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
No need to worry about the power stations blowing up, I’d be more concerned with living near the many routes the nuclear fuel and waste travels to and from the stations.
Thankfully, there is info in France available online to see if you live near any nuclear power stations, fuel routes or enrichment plants.
We don’t live near anything dangerous.
Trouble is Wales suffered from Chernobyl, Radiation I think was I. The grass what the sheep were eating, and probably we were
taking in Radiation over all the UK

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just watched a program I recorded Portillo's Hidden History of Britain , " here in Suffolk just 24 miles up the road is Orfordness Island where the program talked about what was going on in the MOD secret establishment there, it closed in 1976 I knew the place was there what I did not realise was they were developing the "H"Bomb ! which is a 1000 times more powerful than the one dropped on Japan .
Just up the road 30 miles away we also have Sizewell "A" Nuclear Power Station , (now being decommissioned) Sizewell "B" is now operating, and there is now an enquiry "Should they be allowed to build Sizewell "C" . This will be built by EDF and the Chinese !! At least we live in the best part of the country if these Power Staions blow up we will go to our Maker pretty quickly.
Check out Thetford then !
They stored the A bomb at Barnham, about 400 yards from my house !!!
The site was sold off years ago and has been an industrial site for years now, but they have a mock up bomb on display there at the inner gates.

The fire that is mentioned was caused by my son-laws brother..He used to regrind scrap plastic and several tons of ground HD polyprop
caught fire !!!

On top of that, at the end of WW1 trains loaded with mustard gas were off loaded just across the road at Barnham station ( the line is gone now... went with the Beeching cuts )..
It seems the powers that be had no idea what to do with the stuff so they buried it right there in the embankment.. Along with aseveral tons of ammo About 20odd years ago the gas started to leak and there was absolute mayhem over there !!
Local legend ha it 10 crated Harley Davidsons were buried too, and a chap I know well is rumoured to have found one and dug it up He is very tight lipped about it all but I still think it is merely myth

Parts of the station are still there and I believe was used by the East Anglia Tank Museum ( now located at Old Buckenham airfield )

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The most threatening nuclear power station to me in Sussex is at Cap de la Hague 115 miles to the South West on the Cherbourg peninsular so I'm directly downwind of the prevailing winds.
I believe there are three or maybe four reactors on the Normandy coast. There's one virtually alongside Dieppe (80 miles due South of my house) which I was told was finished four years ago but has never been operational due to some ongoing dispute or other. However, according to a local camp site owner, around 220 staff have been employed and paid to do nothing for three years except security and a bit of sweeping . There's Union power for you!

Last edited:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
When we lived in Ampthill, we were just 3.5 mile from where they planned to store large amounts of nuclear waste from decommissioning and 5.5 miles in the other direction was RAF Chicksands which at the time was used by the Yanks with an antenna array nick name the Elephant Cage and was long distance direction finding radar antenna for early warning of the Russians coming, and as such we regularly had F111's flying over practising their protection role. :Eeek:

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
Safe as anything here in the Cotswolds near Broadway. Although, there is a nuclear observation bunker up near Broadway tower. According to the guide the government built 1400 of these things during the Cold War era. They , the observers, were obliged to measure any nuclear blast from Birmingham or Coventry or Cheltenham and calculate how many minutes of life we all had left and telephone this information to Whitehall. Personally I can think of more important things to do in my last 3 minutes of life.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Trouble is Wales suffered from Chernobyl, Radiation I think was I. The grass what the sheep were eating, and probably we were
taking in Radiation over all the UK
That was NOT chernobyl radiation it was good old Cumbrian radiation fromt the many cockups there. Wales could not be affected without the bit in between Ukraine and Wales. Bloody good excuse for UK atomic power to blame others. It seems the area around Chernobyl is noe much healthier that it was before the big bang. Wildlife is actually better than before.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We've got nowt nasty here :)
Weeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll apart from some block with a name something like Boris// Borik... Yokel , Yorky ??Cannot for the life of me think of it at the moment !

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
I recall going to watch the IOM TT decades ago and some local character told us that many monotoring stations had been set up , because everything was safe, just a precaution, and the locals had been told not to eat the local lamb or drink the local milk, again just a precaution. It’s good to know our faceless guardians are taking such good care of us. Anyway, I am off now to make another tinfoil hat .

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
5 minutes away from Torness nuclear power station when at static, if it went up would probably be the end of us and grandson's dad as he works there and mum and grandson as they are just 20 minutes away. Had my cabin in the woods in wilds of Argyll in case of zombie apocalypse but sold it now. ;)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If anything is going to go bang - I'd prefer to be right next to it and know nothing about my demise, rather than try to run away from inescapable radiation & a slow horrendous death from poisoning.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Hinkley Point C nuclear power station is being built not far from Speedy Towers. I may be wrong but I understand that the reactor design is similar to the new EDF ones in France that already have significant cracks before they are completed. Oooer.

Meanwhile, like much of the South West, we have radioactive Radon gas seeping up through the floor.

Previously I lived less than 3 miles from Abbey Wood which must have been a prime target for Soviet SS20s.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Sizewell "B" is now operating

Nuclear power is a victim of it's own success. For years they provided the ingredients for the type of nukes Dr. Strangelove endorsed, which tended to result in a lot of nuclear waste and inefficiency. Then they tend to develop cracks and leaks even without major accidents. As tens turned to hundreds turned to thousands the risk of accidente of course goes up y sheer numbers.

Chernobyl was 'operator error' on a reactor that was somewhat unforgiving to idiots (the others of that design were modified to make them more benign), Fukushima had many problems but at the end of the day was a flawed design with a known inadequate containment volume, even back when GE sold them to the Japanese.

There are no real terrorists, just government sanctioned attacks, so the UK is safe against a real attack and fairly safe against a false flag that may affect the establishment. So I'd be worried about general leaks from the aging rubbish these reactors now are rather than some John le Carre novel.

Having said that nuclear leaks used to be quite dangerous, but since the 1960s we've got so many more exciting toxins into the atmosphere, food and water that even a decent leak probably wouldn't change one's health to any noticeable degree.

Pass the Roundup Ready wholemeal loaf please so I can spread my hydrogenated sunflower spread and diet jam on it please (after brushing my teeth on fluoridated water with my super cool fluoride toothpaste).

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
It’s an interesting question. Generally I think Scotland is quite safe BUT we have Hunterston nuclear powerstation within 30 miles and Prestwick Airport within 10 miles. Either of these could be terrorist targets.

Oh, you forgot to mention the Trident nuclear arsenal based on the Clyde and in the hills around Faslane.

If that goes up we are all toast (actually ash) around west central Scotland.

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Living where hinckley c being built fuxxxng nightmare, never had so much trouble. Piss heads and traffic.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I suspect that the people of S Ockendon, Essex are more concerned about Buckles Lane (if one can believe anything published in the D Mail).

And I thought that you were short of Aires in U.K.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
When I was young I lived not 50 yards from a huge aircraft hangar where a secret and highly dangerous craft was built.

It was that big spaceship in the original Star Wars. (y)

Last edited:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I recall going to watch the IOM TT decades ago and some local character told us that many monotoring stations had been set up , because everything was safe, just a precaution, and the locals had been told not to eat the local lamb or drink the local milk, again just a precaution. It’s good to know our faceless guardians are taking such good care of us. Anyway, I am off now to make another tinfoil hat .

In south Ayrshire there was an ex-pat Italian ice cream & chip shop owner who shall remain nameless.
After the Chernobyl disaster an awful lot of areas were not allowed to use or sell their milk or meat but, the aforementioned Italian was happily buying this milk through a black market supplier.
His answer to the few folks who knew what was happening was that "oh its alright, I boil the milk first". :Eeek:
Needless to say, this area is a childhood leukaemia hotspot, now I'm sure that this problem is way deeper than the ice cream maker but, it certainly makes you wonder.

Incidentally, my years as a paramedic taught me an awful lot about life & mainly that life is always going to kill you, we all live with a death sentence.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Oh, you forgot to mention the Trident nuclear arsenal based on the Clyde and in the hills around Faslane.

If that goes up we are all toast (actually ash) around west central Scotland.
Looked at a place near Helensborough recently,near Faslane, decided against jt because of the hilly area. Very safe as there is no sign of Faslane on any maps, so the Ruskys wouldn't find it anyway!
Cheers, Dave (y)

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
We are 18 miles, as the Crow flies, from RAF Fylingdales early warning radar station and around 7 miles from RAF Staxton wold tracking station.
If the Russians or North Koreans or anyone else with scrambled egg for brains and nuclear weapons decides to bomb either of these, (Fylingdales being a primary target) Scarborough won't be needing any holidaymakers for around 5000 years.

Scarborough Mostly full of Scots any way :giggler:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

I am close enough to Sizewell that I don't need to worry, if it went up so would I instantaneously and wouldn't see or hear it coming.

OP
OP
T
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
That was NOT chernobyl radiation it was good old Cumbrian radiation fromt the many cockups there. Wales could not be affected without the bit in between Ukraine and Wales. Bloody good excuse for UK atomic power to blame others. It seems the area around Chernobyl is noe much healthier that it was before the big bang. Wildlife is actually better than before.
You are probably right , but, due to Propaganda by the media I believed what I was told , which leads me to divert . A young (who was East German) at Uni courting my son , as I was talking to her she said" you think all things were bad in East Germany don't you? " I said I can only go on what I have been told about your Country (Propaganda again is this country ? ), she said " Lots of things were wrong but we had the best Health Service with no waiting lists the best Doctors , Schools and Uni's were very good , but you just had to be careful when expressing your self !!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Incidentally, my years as a paramedic taught me an awful lot about life & mainly that life is always going to kill you, we all live with a death sentence.
Being so cheerful 'as keeps thee going I 'spose !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back