Is it possible to repair scrape marks on vinyl ? (1 Viewer)

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Oh dear ! Stopped at roadworks. Moved off to narrow gap. Choice of possibly hitting barriers or a bit too close to hedge. Bad choice - caught the full length of the nearside on a branch causing a rub mark across approx 7m of vinyl. (Van is 7.5 A Class). I think trying to rub it out or T-cut will result in worsening it. No damage to paint or denting or anything like that and the world won't really end, (though I feel as if it has!). Quotes to replace with 3M vinyl ,like for like, varies from £500-£800 + vat of course. I can either live with it but see it every day or have it replaced. I have ruled out the makers' vinyl -- Dethleffs-- because I don't have that much dosh.

Anyone any ideas to reduce the effect? Thanks.

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
DONT use anything abrasive like t/cut or compound it will take the colour out if used harshly, if its light marking a good rub with some wax might take some of it out.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Sorry to hear that. If you Google "How to remove scratches from car decals" you will find some good tips and YouTube videos. Alternatively, a number of companies can make new decals for a fraction of the cost that Dethleffs want. Good luck!

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Feel your pain,recently needed a new mirror beaten off by a travellers caravan,€299, WD 40 as said has given me good results with the residual damage from that incident.
Sorry to hear what happened and know exactly how you feel.
Good luck with whatever you try.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Wish I'd known back in the day how to get the marks left by high heels out of the roof lining in cars !! :LOL::LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
The quick answer is no. I've sign written with vinyl since 1980 and the only way is to cover the damage with vinyl.
Over the years I have covered scratches and damage to graphics successfully but a colour match or contrasting colour sometimes works. Good luck.

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Felt tip pen works a treat, try it you'll be surprised

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Wish I'd known back in the day how to get the marks left by high heels out of the roof lining in cars !! :LOL::LOL:

Way back when worked as a barman in a local hotel and all hell broke loose at a wedding.

Police turned up and huckled a couple of the worst offenders, both women. After much persuasion(!) they managed to get them into the back of the van.
We had great fun watching them punching holes \ dents in the side of it with their stilettos!:clap2:

OP
OP
Chaumo

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Thanks for your replies. I am a much happier chappy today. Used WD40 (as suggested) and followed up with polish (as suggested). The result is that the mark is now only noticeable if you know where it is and look hard for it. Oodles of dosh saved so thanks again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back