Free Member
Aug 2, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
2009 Chausson Welcome 58
Exp
Since Sep 2016
Yes, we were very worried and anxious when we moved into our motorhome. It took a year of planning and organizing and even knowing this was what we wanted, we were quite scared. It's a completely new way of life, a small space to share with your partner and pets, we were also both newbies and clueless. We researched a lot, prepared the best we could...

Anyway, 10 months into full timing, we regret nothing. We love our home on wheels and all the challenges so far were well worth it.

20161225_090731.jpg

Susana & Pedro - http://headingtiny.com/

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I think this thread is one of the most moving ones I've read on this forum for years.

It's genuine about fellow funsters plans, problems and pasts.

Good luck to you all, and hope everything goes as planned for you

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think this thread is one of the most moving ones I've read on this forum for years.

It's genuine about fellow funsters plans, problems and pasts.

Good luck to you all, and hope everything goes as planned for you
Thank you :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Yes I've actually put my name down for the Fife one mid September as it's quite local to me and I will have collected my mh by then
The camping site tip abroad is good too thanks as it will be my first time in mainland Spain and Portugal so I've yet to plan where I'm going I thought I'd just follow the coast initially as it's harder to get lost just keep the water on the rhs and I'll be fine :)

Will you be allowed to drive in mid-Sep following your op at the end of Aug?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Will you be allowed to drive in mid-Sep following your op at the end of Aug?
I'm hoping so.... I maybe being an optimist as I've obviously never had a hernia opp before but I'm hoping to be able to drive the week after the opp on the 22nd as I need to collect my van from Evesham
Otherwise I'm in doo doo lol

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm hoping so.... I maybe being an optimist as I've obviously never had a hernia opp before but I'm hoping to be able to drive the week after the opp on the 22nd as I need to collect my van from Evesham
Otherwise I'm in doo doo lol

Speak to your medical advisors as it will depend on a number of factors including the procedure http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Inguinalherniarepair/Pages/Recovery.aspx

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
IMG_3566.JPG
IMG_3486.JPG
We took out two cats up North with us last month,they settled down quite quickly. The young one does like to wander so I had a harness on him and took him out for walks with an extending lead,boy could he walk. I was glad to get home,he did struggle a bit beside the wife as he was wanting to wander while I was driving. After one too many scratches the wife let him off the harness and the bugger just crashed against the side window just in front of where he is in this photo. The other photo is him charging down the riverside walk at Blair Atholl.

Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Good luck with your operation and the next stage in your lifestyle , your cat will be with you in your heart if you are unable to take him with you and you will have many friends on here to converse with and meet whenever you need us.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
You asked is it normal to be nervous and the answer is yes.
You'd feel nervous if you'd accepted a job in another part of the country . You'd feel nervous if you'd downsized to a small flat. Change always brings a state of questioning if we've done the right thing, hence the nervousness.
Can your cat be rehomed with a friend or relative ? That way you will know how s/he is getting on.
I full timed, totally unintentionally for 9 months, in the UK but I still had my house in France. When I knew my daughter and granddaughter were ok I returned home and hated it. I realised I was a slave to a huge house and garden. I spent 3 months selling as much as I could, stored a few boxes and bits in a friend's barn, dropped the price of the house and set off in the motorhome again with 2 dogs and 2 cats. It's hard work with cats. Can't go out anywhere near roads, litter tray constantly in the van, but one was very elderly and one was ok going out on a lead. Doesn't work for all cats though.
Have a contingency fund and a plan if for any reason you can't stay in your van. I wish I'd tried more wild camping and I did stay off sites sometimes and had no problems at all with that.
Good luck .

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just wondered if other folk that's went full time felt really nervous and a little scared if I'm honest when they first moved from bricks and morter to a van?

I move out of the house in a few weeks and whilst I was lucky enough to sell it furnished I still have so much stuff that I've accumulated that I just can't take with me... To be honest most of it I don't need lol but still it's my stuff and getting rid of it all is hard.
Also I keep wondering am I doing the right thing... I'm hoping it's just nerves and that it will all work out in the end

But did most of you feel this way?
Given your age I think you could do with a long term rough plan. Vans unlike houses devalue over a period and will need replacing. Good luck anyway....(y)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Given your age I think you could do with a long term rough plan. Vans unlike houses devalue over a period and will need replacing. Good luck anyway....(y)
I don't intend to stay full time in the van just the next year or two, I hope to find work in Spain or in the canary islands and then buy property there, I've a contingency fund to buy or at least a good deposit on a property and the van hopefully should not lose more than a grand or two in the two years going by the price the Sane models fetching compared to what I paid

Hopefully

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You'd feel nervous if you'd accepted a job in another part of the country . You'd feel nervous if you'd downsized to a small flat. Change always brings a state of questioning if we've done the right thing, hence the nervousness.
Can your cat be rehomed with a friend or relative ? That way you will know how s/he is getting on.
I full timed, totally unintentionally for 9 months, in the UK but I still had my house in France. When I knew my daughter and granddaughter were ok I returned home and hated it. I realised I was a slave to a huge house and garden. I spent 3 months selling as much as I could, stored a few boxes and bits in a friend's barn, dropped the price of the house and set off in the motorhome again with 2 dogs and 2 cats. It's hard work with cats. Can't go out anywhere near roads, litter tray constantly in the van, but one was very elderly and one was ok going out on a lead. Doesn't work for all cats though.
Have a contingency fund and a plan if for any reason you can't stay in your van. I wish I'd tried more wild camping and I did stay off sites sometimes and had no problems at all with that.
Good luck .
Yes I'm still unsure with the cat it's a difficult choice as I'd love to have him with me but not sure if it will work out longterm as best for him.... It needs a lot of thought

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Good luck .
Its a heartbreaking decision regarding my cat, I just can't help worry that if all goes well and I'm longterming in Spain that the cat is going to be unhappy, I'm concerned that if the temperature is high and I'm at work he could be cooped up in a van for 8 or 9 hours a day on his own, I can't help thinking that's unfair on him, he may be OK for the initial few months here but as I'm going to be solo travelling there's no one else to look after him... But on the other hand he's a young cat he could live another 15+ years I can't put the rest of my life on hold till then.
Its not an easy decision I can tell you

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
You never know what is around the corner, and you really don't know if you will be back in 6 months or 6 years. And how could you be expected to know if you have never tried it?

There is no guarantee of working on your travels, there is a reason why unemployment is at critical levels in Spain and Portugal, minimum wages are quite low (650 e/month in Portugal, 825 in Spain) and it is an employer's market. Given that English is the official second language in both countries (certainly in Portugal), speaking the language fluently no longer amounts means guaranteed employment.

My advice is to shelve the final decision until you have tried a bit of time on the road in the UK, with your cat, and to see how that works out. I would start the process of acclimatising the cat to staying indoors for a bit, then gradually migrating to the van. Then as you try a "soft start" to your travelling, see how the cat eventually acclimatises to life on the road. By which time you will be better placed to make the big decisions. All things said and done, why deny the cat the chance to remain with an owners who clearly loves it to bits?

You need a plan, and only you can make the decision. Mr B is right, vans seldom appreciate, unlike good properties in those countries

Whatever you decide, I really do wish you well with things.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back