Is it necessary to do a drain down? (1 Viewer)

Jun 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I've read through the forum on how to do a drain down and also about people using their motorhome extensively during the winter but can't find anything about at what temperature it really needs to be done. We live in Devon and the winters tend to be quite mild and we are hoping to use it occasionally before Christmas for odd days and also (lockdown restrictions permitting) to go and see our son in Leeds at Christmas. Is there a temperature at which it is definitely advisable to do a drain down because if so, we could keep an eye on the weather and do it if the forecast showed we were likely to be close to that temperature. (We're retired so can easily do it at short notice)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Most vans have an automatic drain down once the temp gets to about 4 degrees. Personally I think that’s a bit over cautious,so if the temp gets near that,but unlikely to plummet, I put a clothes peg on the auto drain down valve.

If I think it’s going to be well below freezing,I drain,but a slight frost can be ignored.

Vans will vary on how resistant they are to freezing up,depending on where the tanks and pipes are fitted etc. Whats yours?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Harrietliberty
Jun 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ours is a 2003 Ace Capri (Fiat Ducato base) 2.00 L Diesel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
The auto drain usually is attached to your water heater, and might protect that, if you are happy that it will release and not get stuck. But that won't release the other water in the taps, pump, pipework and tank.

The MH is left out in the open. The temperature even inside will be very close to the ambient outside. If it gets to start freeing outside, parts of the plumbing systems will become vulnerable. The risk is the water will expand as it turns to ice.

Personally I don't see a need to take the risk and will drain the entire thing down over the winter months. It takes a couple of minutes to open the taps. It doesn't on my MH with only 60litre tank take that long to refill. Just watch the forecast for when the frosty conditions are becoming due.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Empty tank and leave all the taps open, running pump until it pumps no more. It is a shurflo diaphragm pump so ok to do that. Do not forget to run the toilet flush pump if it comes from the system rather than it’s own tank. If not, drain that as well, using the little drain tube behind the door

and when the system is empty, it is a good opportunity to remove a flush out the filter

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We keep our motorhome drained when it’s on the drive. The only time we had any problems with freezing was during the mini beast from the east. I was only frozen for about an hour in the morning. Once the heating had been on a while it was thawed again. We couldn’t find any damage.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We live in South Devon near Plymouth and don't normally fully drain down in winter. But, there is another reason for draining not related to temperature and that is mould growing in the pipes.

My method after trips is to empty the fresh water tank then run the taps until they stop producing water, turn the water pump off and that will do for a few weeks.

If prolonged freezing is forecast I turn the heating on to about 12C and leave open any kitchen cupboards which have water pipes inside them. Waste also emptied of course.

This has worked so far including during the Beast from the East period when we were snowed in for several days.

I also add some water sterilising tablets from time to time during the year to keep the mould at bay.

Further north more extreme measures are required sometimes to remove all the water from the pipes but if you keep the vehicle at home on EHU this helps keep Jack Frost at bay. :)

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Technically, the temp is 0°C (freezing). As water gets colder (down to -4°C) it expands with considerable force and will burst anything that gets in its way (pipes, joints, boilers,...). It's a risk not worth taking, considering that a drain-down is so easy to do. I drain down after each outing in winter unless I'm out again shortly, when I keep the heating on low. I also remove any bottles. I had a bottle of TCP freeze and break one Winter. When it thawed the contents ran all through the bathroom cupboard, complete with the smell.
When left to stand, open all cupboards to let the air circulate around.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Another reason for draining down is to put fresh water in the tank, instead of just topping up the stale water with some fresh water. The chlorine in a full tank of fresh water will keep the tank and pipes bug free.

You might say you never drink water from the tank, but what about washing up, cleaning teeth, washing fruit and salad stuff?

Upvote 0

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Ours is a 2003 Ace Capri (Fiat Ducato base) 2.00 L Diesel

It's the type of boiler, rather than van that is the issue. If the water freezes inside the boiler it can cost a lot to fix / replace it.

I never drain down for the winter as I need the van to be 'ready to go' and don't mind setting the thermostat low through the winter months, if it gets cold the heating comes on and the boiler is safe. Of course it costs me a few pence in electricity should it come on, but that's the lesser of the evils for me.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I never drain down for the winter as I need the van to be 'ready to go' and don't mind setting the thermostat low through the winter months, if it gets cold the heating comes on and the boiler is safe. Of course it costs me a few pence in electricity should it come on, but that's the lesser of the evils for me.

Two minutes to close the taps and the frost valve, and 3-4 minutes to fill the tank with fresh water. Seems pretty quick to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
we could keep an eye on the weather and do it if the forecast showed we were likely to be close to that temperature. (We're retired so can easily do it at short notice)
Yes but it’s horrible to have to go out on a freezing evening in the dark and maybe rain just because you didn’t do it when it was more convenient. Trust me, I know! :giggle:

Upvote 0

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Yup, me too. Drain as a matter of course, all taps open and system aired. It's not really the freezing that concerns me, its the water lying in the pipes and allowing pathogens to introduce sickness in to the family, especially my young kids. No water, no danger. Not only that the first 20 ltrs of a fill get used to flush the system. Twice a year it gets the citric acid treatment.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I drain down, as a matter of practice, after every trip; why wouldn’t you and particularly through the winter months?

Ian
Same here, we drink the tank water so no way would I would to leave any in it.
Another reason for draining down is to put fresh water in the tank, instead of just topping up the stale water with some fresh water. The chlorine in a full tank of fresh water will keep the tank and pipes bug free.

You might say you never drink water from the tank, but what about washing up, cleaning teeth, washing fruit and salad stuff?
Agree, chlorine itself doesn't actually last that long, a few days at most I think, so any water left in the tank/pipes etc will be stale very soon and allow bugs etc to breed ... just put a cup of water in a cupboard and look at it after a few days ... yuk!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forgot to say, its not just the potability of the water that's the issue, as others have said it's the damage that can be cause especially to taps if they are left in the closed position.

Upvote 0

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Two minutes to close the taps and the frost valve, and 3-4 minutes to fill the tank with fresh water. Seems pretty quick to me.

I'm glad you're an authority on how to get to my valve (you may need to unpack the garage first) - oh and the nearest water tap is around the back of the house, so good luck with that too! :hugs:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
In colder areas is simply draining the system enough or is one of these required?

floe-motorhome-draindown-kit-for-inboard-water-tanks
IMV waste of money, in all the years of owning a MH (since 1996) with some exceptionally cold winters (North facing to open fields) we've never had any issues at all with just doing the normal draining down routine.

We did have a giant ice-cube in a MH's internal water tank once though! We'd taken it to the dealer to do the hab service and fit a solar panel but they'd forgotten to drain it down afterwards so when we went to pick it up the internal tank had completely frozen! Fortunately nothing, and I mean nothing, was damaged or affected which amazed us.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm glad you're an authority on how to get to my valve (you may need to unpack the garage first) - oh and the nearest water tap is around the back of the house, so good luck with that too! :hugs:
Ah, but his full name is 'Speedy Gonzalez .... :LOL:

Upvote 0

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
We drain down in the winter months, not leaving any water in tank of hot water tank either. Once empty we open the taps for any residual to drain out. It doesn’t take long at all to refill. During use in the winter months having the heating on usually stops the drain valve from activating. What you will also need to determine is where you fresh and waste are located, internal/external. Benefits for internal are that the heating usually gets trailed around the tanks and usually helps with the prevention of freezing, however, externals can be problematic. Using heaters in the tanks can prevent this, these I believe are similar to those used(not the actual) in tropical fish tanks. I know my MIL has one fitted to her tank/s. These may already be installed in your van, so certainly worth asking, previous owner etc. We travel all year round, luckily have internal tanks. We do drain after every trip. Worst months are usually Jan - mar, for the worst of the frosts but can still get caught out so we wouldn’t risk it. We have for the last 4 years done Xmas n York , slightly further east than Leeds and haven’t had a severe prolonged frosts so can’t see there being a big issue at Christmas time.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We drain the fresh tank after every trip to keep it fresh in the summer and reduce the risk of freezing in the winter.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Yes but it’s horrible to have to go out on a freezing evening in the dark and maybe rain just because you didn’t do it when it was more convenient. Trust me, I know! :giggle:
Just like the time to empty the toilet cassette, Sod will always conspire to make sure these things will happen when the weather is foul and it's pitch black outside.
A stitch in time... = Better to do it when it's more convenient.
And the more routinely you drain down, the better practiced you will become.

I'd only use gas for heating if you have LPG because it's cheaper than electricity.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I never drain down - just leave the heating set at 5 degrees. When I was a tugger I used to leave a greehouse heater on frost setting in the van. TBH it's a long time since we had enough frost here to do any damage.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Simple it of DIY really. No drain tap on mine at all when I bought it, and no water tap at the front either. Both problems soon sorted. :dance2:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back