Is it me or is DAB Radio a bit, well...S H Won Tea? (1 Viewer)

Stevewheel

Free Member
May 2, 2017
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V Line 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have a PVC from the esteemed Auto Fail stable and it is fitted with an "XZENT" media unit where people of my age think a radio with two knobs should be. Although I'm sure its the cheapest Chinese made unit that our friends in Grimsby could bulk buy it appears to do everything....just not very well! Navigation is...well, lets just say it's "creative" as some farmers and private land owners will attest following my frequent visits. It plays a CD/DVD beautifully and I have even managed to connect via Bluetooth to my phone and stream music from Spotify...there, see, impressed aren't you! But it's the radio that tries my patience....on MW I can find a couple of stations...on FM I can only find Hiss FM (part of the STATIC group I think).....but DAB is just appalling. Firstly it has to re tune itself every time I turn it on....not a problem but tedious & then it tells me I have 47 stations to choose from most of which are audible for a few seconds before breaking up for good.
Now, I am quite sure it's something I'm doing wrong but does anyone have any ideas why this might be soooo bad? All contributions greatly received and I bow to the eternal wisdom that is the crowd. Thank you.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Thanks Kannon Fodda I believe you and I have the same van ( V Line 540SE ?) and, by the sound of it the same cheap Chinese head unit. This might sound a silly question but does your Xzent unit have an aerial? If so, where have AT fitted it? I can't find mine!
I have absolutely no idea where the aerial might be. Having bought new the one thing I don't want to do is pull stuff apart to investigate. The van is my sanctuary, pristine to escape all the things I got wrong in DIY on the house.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our status 570 has a Dab output.. Anyone tried using that on the move for Dab?

Asked the manufacturer and they said its just for when parked up. Seems a shame if you've got a big digital aerial on the roof yet have to fit another for radio
Why not replace it with one of these, if you fit a ground plane that will cover the hole.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Ours was rubbish, but now works fine, when we fitted the aerial correctly (after speaking to Techno and Steve and Denise). Andy has instructions on here, but we fitted ours to a panel on the front of the van rather than threading it down through the roof.

Cliff can explain what he did much better than I if you want more detail.

Our radio is now absolutely brilliant and never goes off, whereas before it was off station far more than on.

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I have absolutely no idea where the aerial might be. Having bought new the one thing I don't want to do is pull stuff apart to investigate. The van is my sanctuary, pristine to escape all the things I got wrong in DIY on the house.
On my Mazda 3 there was a section of the rear window heater that didn’t demist the window.
When I queried it I was told - correctly - it was an antenna.
Edit: maybe not related to a Motorhome then...

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
DAB reception does need a good aerial but even with the best reception do not expect HiFi quality, it is transmitted at relatively low bit rates. The best station for quality is Radio3 at 192kbps but Radio2 is 128kbps, Planet Rock 80kbps and JazzFM 64kbps (London multiplexes). By comparison CDs are 1411kbps and MP3 up to 320kbps.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Despite having an aerial mounted on the cab roof the DAB reception was patchy from day 1 and lately disappeared altogether even standing on my drive where it used to be OK. FM works fine almost everywhere, so I am not going to waste time and energy troubleshooting DAB reception because I wouldn't listen to the extra radio stations.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back