is it me or are motorhomes way overpriced here (1 Viewer)

michael1956

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
well I was thinking of returning to motor homing. after two trips with a caravan to Italy its never again to that for a game. anyway I have been looking on ebay, autotrader etc for a motorhome. and have gone to look at a few which have turned up to be local. well what I found so far, is dealers who just add on 1000,s and the say O look at me I have reduced it from plain silly to just silly. others have been only fit for pigs ( sorry I know pigs are cleaner ). so whats going on.
when I sold my hymer I made sure that all the systems worked, that it was as new inside and that I was sure nothing needed doing bar diesel for some time to come. The first person to view it with his family, was over joyed and took it away that day. O how I rule that day, but the mileage was over the 100,000 and I wanted more space.
I have send emails to german dealers as their motorhomes are cheaper then ours even taking in the change to uk reg. yet they don't return mail. years back they got not do enough for a buyer.
My aim is not high, something like a good a class that as been looked after. but I am not looking to fund a sellers school fees for the next few years, or looking to pay for a 10 year old motorhome that cost less when new. so is it me, or our motor homers being taken for a ride.
michael

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
That's why we bought a jumbo panel van, low mileage, then we've paid low-ish end double figures for the conversion. We'd have paid approx late 30k to buy a 2 yr old, low mileage van otherwise.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Strange. When we attended shows earlier in the year we thought that prices had, if anything, come down a bit from last year. Only an impression, nothing scientific. Jim is right though, the market rules.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you wait for the end of the season, coming shortly, prices drop thousands as people dont want to keep them over winter.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
well I was thinking of returning to motor homing. after two trips with a caravan to Italy its never again to that for a game. anyway I have been looking on ebay, autotrader etc for a motorhome. and have gone to look at a few which have turned up to be local. well what I found so far, is dealers who just add on 1000,s and the say O look at me I have reduced it from plain silly to just silly. others have been only fit for pigs ( sorry I know pigs are cleaner ). so whats going on.
when I sold my hymer I made sure that all the systems worked, that it was as new inside and that I was sure nothing needed doing bar diesel for some time to come. The first person to view it with his family, was over joyed and took it away that day. O how I rule that day, but the mileage was over the 100,000 and I wanted more space.
I have send emails to german dealers as their motorhomes are cheaper then ours even taking in the change to uk reg. yet they don't return mail. years back they got not do enough for a buyer.
My aim is not high, something like a good a class that as been looked after. but I am not looking to fund a sellers school fees for the next few years, or looking to pay for a 10 year old motorhome that cost less when new. so is it me, or our motor homers being taken for a ride.
michael
Under the 'code of practice' motor manufactures, motorhomes, most German Manufacture's who sell into the Uk through their dealer network are not encouraged to sell their products to customers who already have the benefit of such dealerships within their own country, however IF you were to make an appearance at any such German dealership with a determined mind to purchase I know they will accommodate you:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

michael1956

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
hi, fast replies. I am not sure re market forces. I am lucky not to need HP to buy things, but looking around showrooms etc, its all about HP. then the buyer is sort of locked in to dealerships. they don't own the motorhome etc, cant sell it private ( I know that some people try to ) and then they part ex or sell it back to the dealer. so its sort of dealers who run the market. A case in point. some years back I purchased a morgan sports car. always liked the look of them and the come the day I got one. looking at magazines etc the prices looked like well not an investment but I was not going to loss my shirt on one, like many other cars. How wrong was I. well I had this car two months and it was never out the repair shop. not due to age, it was only three years old. but because of rubbish build. the windscreen creaked due to frame screws contacting the glass. there was rust inside the wheels, paint was falling off and I hated the thing. so contacting all these garages with their adverts saying we want morgans, only to find that it was always sell or return. none would buy the car out right. I found a London dealer who would and yes I lost my shirt, in fact I lost lots of shirts and a few suits on that. so I think its much the same with motorhomes as it is with expensive cars, ie dealers call the shots.
Michael.
ps good advice re out of season buyng

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I do wonder if we may be about to see a glut of used on the market over the next year or so.
Many I know have jumped in to the world of motorhoming without trying it out and little research and as a result a few are already considering parting company with there latest toy, if that was to be multiplied across the land ???

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Surely HP deals are there only for people who need them, just like cars and anything else (Oh, heck, just realised BH weekend so more sofa adverts). For those who don't need HP a deal can still be made. Remember, the forecourt price is only the opening gambit.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I agree old MHs are over priced but as already pointed out it is just supply and demand.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Over priced or not the dealers seemed to be shifting stuff at Malvern, and to be fair some of what I saw did not deserve to sell.

OP
OP
M

michael1956

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
Hi I am not knocking HP. but just stating that to my mind it allows dealers to push up the prices. and once locked into a HP plan you are also very locked into the dealers prices of PX, resell if they want it at all. and this way they set the prices. michael

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
I asked a dealer just for a test to give me a price for my 2007 Roller team Granduca 295P , it is fitted with air con , flat screen tv solar panel inverter air suspension oven , microwave etc 40.000 miles in very good condition he priced it at ÂŁ 18.000 , thats about 10.000 under the market price , If he had bought it i know it would have been on his forecourt for roughly 30.000 .

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Have you tried Campirama in Germany? In our travels we have had a number of fellow motorhomers comment about how good they are after noticing their sticker on the back of our van. We are the third owners of our 2002 Hymer, I still have the original paperwork, it was 35595 euro in 2002 with a number of extras. With the exchange rate of 0.61457 to the ÂŁ that made it about ÂŁ21000! Even with the VAT that would have made it some bargain! I often wonder what the cost would have been for same van in UK, I suspect considerably more!

Even with 20% VAT and the current euro perhaps savings can still be made?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

michael1956

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
Hi, yes looked at campirama. but we are also working out how many nights in hotels the price of a motorhome would give us. yes I know its not so much fun, but maybe its not so expensive. in the mean time I have an empty spot on my driveway that's calling to be filled. michael

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
We did some research on buying older motorhomes in Germany.

We went to 9 or 10 "dealers".

We visited these people and Frankie bought her Hymer Camp 51 from them.

They replied to her emails

Others didn't.

Broken Link Removed

20140305_150716_zpsceef2608.jpg

20140305_150710_zpse170c0b2.jpg

JJ :cool:

Last edited:

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
We asked for a discount for paying cash and no part ex, we were offered ÂŁ500, off ÂŁ27995. The salesman said they lose a chunk of money if we don't use the Blackhorse finance deal that is offered. We had arranged our own much, much cheaper finance, we went elsewhere.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we bought our current van we were cash buyers (well, debit card so virtually the same) without any requirement for credit or part exchange.

The forecourt price was reduced in friendly negotiations to a level we were comfortable with and inclusive of new front tyres, new timing belt &c, service & MoT. The dealer later paid for new habitation and ignition keys as it turned out that a set had been lost.

That's one reason we would go back to Camper NE again.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We asked for a discount for paying cash and no part ex, we were offered ÂŁ500, off ÂŁ27995. The salesman said they lose a chunk of money if we don't use the Blackhorse finance deal that is offered. We had arranged our own much, much cheaper finance, we went elsewhere.
I bank with Lloyds and went for a full financial over haul week before last. He was mortified when he saw the rate of my car loan and it was Black Horse. He said Lloyds were pleased to be shot of them basically and to avoid anything in future with Black Horse. Did a deal where I consolidated and have saved myself 3k over 2 years !!!! So avoid Black Horse like plague !

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Cash is not an incentive for a discount, in fact is a disincentive for the dealer. As previously said, the dealer can make more on the finance than the sale of the van. On the other hand, no trade in is a distinct advantage..

Long time ago for my sins I sold kitchens, and if I didn't get the customer to take out finance I made little or no sales profit. ie wages. ..all the profit was in the finance , not the kitchen.

The worst way to buy a van is on HP.. far better to get a bank loan.. and if the bank won't lend, maybe it's because you can't afford it in the first place..

chromedog

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004
looking on ebay, autotrader etc for a motorhome. and have gone to look at a few which have turned up to be local.

look here...Broken Link Removed

I own this motorhome, although I say it myself, this van is in fantastic condition, everything works as it should, no rot, no rust, just one very small paint work mark, which I did only last week moving it..
and as you can read it has many useful extras fitted... happy holidays....

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
It seems, as always, that we customers are the cash cow that always pays top whack. but maybe things are changing and these sharks are going to get a great big kick up the arse!

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we found two couples who had bought new m/homes.they have never owned one before[or a tugger] one had bought a large van of over 30 feet.he has a small ford car that he drives normally.but he said the salesman said it was easier to drive than a car.the other one was planning to do a 6 month trip to sunney climes.they don't belong to any club.i really wish them the best.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

When i was in car sales the finance co rewarded us with 10% of the interest charged....BUSBY:):)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I wouldn't buy from a dealer ever.....private sales definately the way to go ....but then I've always paid cash can't be doing with finance and loans the interest loses me sleep :)

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I bought my current new motorhome from a dealer as I needed a spec which was not otherwise available used. The dealer lied about the quality of certain extras, failed to follow written instructions regarding fitting of some items and has subsequently refused to carry out necessary warranty work on a broken lock. Not a pleasant experience.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
when I brought my van 24 years ago from Brownhills[they were the other end of town then.]I rang them up with about 6 faults.peter than rang me back to book me in.he evan came in with a very badly bruised big toe.they lent me a car to go into Newark.they fixed all my faults.it was great.then when I went to see a second hand one for a friend.he brought one.the after sales service.is non non non.he waited 6 weeks for a phone call.still waiting for a booking time.how things change.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
michael
just take a trip over with a carrier bag of chash

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Some times peoples expectations are over the top maybe?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back