Is it ilegal to park across a drive???? (1 Viewer)

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
drive

we lived in a terraced house for 20yrs.we had big double doors which gave us acces to the rear of the house which had masses of space for parking.the kerb was dropped and the council paited a no parking line on the road.while we were living there i had 2 people issued with parking fines and one towed away:thumb:so to answer your question,yes it is an offence.
brian jo and josh

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Making the presumption that your street is not a private one and that is an adopted street and maintained at public expense.
It is classed in law as a Highway and that means it is available for the public to use to travel the highway.
ANY obstruction of the highway that interferes with the public's right to use that highway is an Offence is law. The points to prove are that someones right to use that section of the road has been impeded by the obstruction.
Now in practical terms the law cannot be enforced to the full degree, it would cause mayhem. A reasonable police officer would take account of the situation before committing a Willful obstruction of the highway to the courts.
When you see protesters arrested for sitting in the roads with the intention of blocking them, they are arrested under the powers of obstructing the Highway.
So when the Police say there is nothing they can do you may wish to mention this to them. Either way my advice is try your hardest never to fall out with your neighbors, you will probably end up moving house if you do.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We had a problem with people parking across the drive to the flats I look after , I bought of the internet some really sticky clear envelopes ( the type tragic wardens use) but when taken off the would leave behind a real mess and we put in an official looking note informing people it was an offence to park there, in the end the council got the highways department to put lines across the drive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
If you have a car and a MH, why not park your own car right across the opening .. at least for a while until chummy finds an alternate place to park

Orrrr.. ( the mean devil side creeps out of me here ) [HI]get a scrote to break in and nick his bloody tools.[/HI]. thereby removing the excuse he uses !!! :winky:

How does it go??....
You can take the boy out the City.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
tick59

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:Sad::Sad::Sad:
WE HAVE HAD WORDS WITH THE GARDENER AND NOW HE AINT SPEEKING.HE THINKS HE HAS THE RIGHT TO PARK RIGHT ACROSS THE DRIVE. HAD A WORD WITH THE NEW NEIGHBOUR AND HIS ATTITUDE IS GOT NOWT TO DO WITH HIM EVEN THOUGH HE WORKS FOR COUCIL ON HIGHWAYS DEPARTMENT. I AM NOT KICKING UP ABOUT THE GARDNER PARKING IT IS THE FACT HE HAS STARTED TO COVER MORE AND MORE ACCESS TO MY DRIVE. HIS VAN WOULD STOP ANYONE TRYING TO GET MY MOTORHOME OFF THE DRIVE SHOULD THEY BE ABLE TO BREAK IN AND GET IT STARTED.THE FACT THAT THE NEW NEIGHBOUR HAS TWO CARS AND HIS WORKS VAN PARKED OUTSIDE HIS DOOR IS FORCING THE GARDNER TO MOVE FURTHER DOWN THE STREET AND SO BLOCKING MY DRIVE.WHEN I GO AWAY ANYWHERE WHEN I GET BACK I HAVE TO KNOCK HIM OUT OF BED TO GET BACK ON MY DRIVE SAME IF I WANT TO GET OFF THE DRIVE I HAVE TO KNOCK AT HIS DOOR AND ASK HIM TO MOVE. I DON'T THINK I SHOULD HAVE TO DO THIS TO USE MY OWN D
RIVE.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
The following are quotes from a gov website. First, overnight parking without lights is only allowed for cars, basically, not larger vans or motorhomes.

Second it clearly states you should not park opposite the entrance to a property.

Getting anyone to do anything about it might be difficult however! Blocking him in or clamping him are both illegal but might work!
Jeff O

"250

Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525 kg unladen weight, invalid carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are
at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
in a recognised parking place or lay-by.

Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.
Laws RVLR reg 24 & CUR reg 82(7)"

"DO NOT stop or park
near a school entrance
anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank
on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing
opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles
in front of an entrance to a property
on a bend
where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities except when forced to do so by stationary traffic."

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back