Is it bad practice to run the engine whilst on EHU (1 Viewer)

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Just double checking but my dealer said that you should t really run the engine whilst on EHU ... thoughts folks ?

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I suspect that with some vans, the problem isn't running the engine with EHU connected, but is with starting the engine.

If the mains charger is set to push a full charge to the van battery, rather than a trickle charge, then when the starter is engaged, the battery voltage will suddenly drop & effectively, the charger will now be trying to start the engine, resulting in a blown fuse. Equally, some systems may have both batteries linked at this point & that could lead to the hab battery supply fuse blowing.

Speculation only, I'm afraid. So many different electrical systems out there, from the very sophisticated to the unbelievably crude.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
My 2006 Rapido handbook says don’t run the engine when on hook up........so I don’t!
No idea why though,do I need to know? Probably not.:giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I suspect that with some vans, the problem isn't running the engine with EHU connected, but is with starting the engine.

If the mains charger is set to push a full charge to the van battery, rather than a trickle charge, then when the starter is engaged, the battery voltage will suddenly drop & effectively, the charger will now be trying to start the engine, resulting in a blown fuse. Equally, some systems may have both batteries linked at this point & that could lead to the hab battery supply fuse blowing.

Speculation only, I'm afraid. So many different electrical systems out there, from the very sophisticated to the unbelievably crude.
That sounds logical.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I do, because in winter, the engine might not like staying too long without a now and then start and run. I do it every 2 or 3 days at the moment as it's quite cold here, but it stays in front of my house, as I also run electric heater during the day and before you ask, no , not during the night, as I've had already rats in and I know they love comfy mohos! During the day I dry it up. I leave a little square of sponge on the table to see if the damp has been imortant during the night.
This is a separate issue altogether. Unless you run the engine until the cooling fans come on (so you know it is hot) then give it another 20 minutes or so then you are doing more harm than good. When you start an engine the burning fuel produces moisture that condenses on internal engine parts and inside the exhaust. An extended engine run will allow time for everything to warm up and moisture will be driven out; too short a run and you are contaminating engine and exhaust with water. As long as you have the means to keep your batteries fully charged the engine is better left alone.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That sounds logical.
It is but chargers are generally current-limited so it shouldn't be an issue. I've done it with every van (and caravan) I've owned. Only because often the first thing I do, especially in cold weather, is start the engine. Then when I'm ready to move off I check hook-up, lockers locked, etc.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
This is a separate issue altogether. Unless you run the engine until the cooling fans come on (so you know it is hot) then give it another 20 minutes or so then you are doing more harm than good. When you start an engine the burning fuel produces moisture that condenses on internal engine parts and inside the exhaust. An extended engine run will allow time for everything to warm up and moisture will be driven out; too short a run and you are contaminating engine and exhaust with water. As long as you have the means to keep your batteries fully charged the engine is better left alone.

Thanks Tony. I know this, as I use my car for very short distances when I have 3 babies to carry (most of them being ill). Therefore my Skoda exaust needs changing every winter or 2 (Off tonight to have it fixed!) I can't run the car too long as the babies are in, and the supermarket isn't far enough. So I know about the holes and other stuff. I usually run Max's engine a long time, and have a few rounds on the stadium parking place, to make sure the tyres are fixed too. I usually stop the engine when hot enough and when the smoke has gone white or invible when I rev'. I agree on the fact it gives pollution a go up though.

Amicalement
Frankie:xsmile:

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
All ambulances are plugged into the mains and left on hook up,the second you start the engine the plug is ejected out. Why can’t Motorhome manufacturers fit the same system? This would stop anyone from driving off while connected.
I guess the price of an ambulance might tell you why!

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
All ambulances are plugged into the mains and left on hook up,the second you start the engine the plug is ejected out. Why can’t Motorhome manufacturers fit the same system? This would stop anyone from driving off while connected.

Well, most times it’s ejected out..... ?

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Do ambulance drivers not have time to do a walk-around check? I did it on aircraft, where more lives were at stake. I still do it on the MH.

Geoff

Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Because you'd leave a live lead on the ground.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Because you'd leave a live lead on the ground.

No, they have auto disconnect boxes that cuts the power as they eject. Sites wouldn’t have them though, they aren’t cheap, so you are right.

We do indeed have time to check on a walk around, if you remember to check. If you don’t and the plug fails to eject, it gets expensive. :-(

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Do ambulance drivers not have time to do a walk-around check? I did it on aircraft, where more lives were at stake. I still do it on the MH.

Geoff
I always walk round the van too, I also look at the pitch as we leave in case something was behind a wheel or something. Might not be my fault, something might have dropped off our crappy Elddis van, really glad they don't make planes, I think they'd be even worse than Boeing ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back