LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi, how do I describe the intermittent squeak/jingle sound coming from the passenger side wheel/ wheel arch on my Master based HymerTramp GT 514.
It starts normally on a gentle right hand bend, it does not sound like a bearing problem, also its not there all the time, its tinny, its not amplified by using the brakes, its a mystery.
I have had the wheel off, nothing there that would cause this. So who knows, my local garage is having a look, but not till end of next week, this gives me the time to ask around from fellow motorhomers.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If it‘s a tinny noise, take the wheel off and check the thin “mudguard” bit that goes around your disc brake. The one on my Volvo estate makes a noise now and again, usually has a pebble jammed behind it, it‘s nearly always the nearside one ( more debris that side of the road ) and it usually makes the noise when cornering. Hope it is that as it‘s gonna be cheaper than a cv joint. Whilst you‘re under there, just check your cv joint rubber bellows for splits or lots of black grease splattered around, if that‘s ok, hopefully your cv joint will be ok too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Too many possibilities but start with brake pad not fully retracting (dust, rust) clean unit.
Decorative hub cap distorting or slightly loose... tap the cap to see if sound is similar to that being heard when driving.
CVJ or bearing, test by driving forward on full lock, first to the right then to the left. If you can hear a 'knock' in either direction, this should be checked out.
Other ideas already mentioned.

Good luck

Alan

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If you have a metal wheel trim maybe it squeeks:whatthe:
Remove it and see:winky:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The one on my Volvo estate makes a noise now and again, usually has a pebble jammed behind it, it‘s nearly always the nearside one ( more debris that side of the road ) and it usually makes the noise when cornering.
Nothing much changes then. That was going to be my first suggestion too, based on a Volvo 740 estate I had back in the late 80s. It picked up roadside pebbles into the front n/s brake on more than one occasion, with exactly that effect.

Brilliant car though. Never had a more comfortable one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi again, the above suggestions have got me thinking/looking, wheeltrims, CV joints, bearings the list of possibilities must be endless, thanks for the initial replies, a much better response than I got from local garage, but they want it for a morning to check it all out, sure they do, thats what they do, thats how they earn their money. A little self help is most satisfying when you find the answer yourself or with a little help from your friends, fellow Funsters, BUT very frustrating if you do not. :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back