Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
All vehicles are already registered with dvla

I agree, but if you read the website you have to contact them, they will no longer remind you. You tell them you still own it, you tell them you need to pay up, then you pay your hard earned over to them.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
just taxed the mh £165:) just taxed the car £285:( last year did 10,000 miles in mh and did 5,000 in car. i use to like the idea of the road tax being put on fuel but as the mh does like a drop pleased they havnt yet.
steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I agree, but if you read the website you have to contact them, they will no longer remind you. You tell them you still own it, you tell them you need to pay up, then you pay your hard earned over to them.
Not sure where your reading that but the site im looking at says different "you will receive a reminder as normal"

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Not sure where your reading that but the site im looking at says different "you will receive a reminder as normal"
Not that it would be a problem if they didn't send a reminder as it would go into the diary the same way the MOT does. You don't get a reminder for that.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Why do so many people seem to object every time technology moves forward? The tax disc serves no purpose. If you do not tax or sorn a vehicle the fine will arrive in the post, no-one needs to spot or photograph your vehicle. Every time the police check a number they know within seconds whether the vehicle is taxed insured and mot'd. The tax disc tells them nothing they do not already know.

So scrap it and save the money!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Why do so many people seem to object every time technology moves forward? The tax disc serves no purpose. If you do not tax or sorn a vehicle the fine will arrive in the post, no-one needs to spot or photograph your vehicle. Every time the police check a number they know within seconds whether the vehicle is taxed insured and mot'd. The tax disc tells them nothing they do not already know.

but if 2 or more identical cars (cloned) are sat in a carpark etc you can check a tax disc on one to prove its genuine but not the fake/stolen car. no disc or other visual id and the checks need to be more invasive

a mate of mine nearly bought a cloned van a while back. something didnt seem right so he checked the documents against the vin number. it had even passed a hpi check, but just seemed too cheap to be right and the seller was shifty as hell

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013

I'm all for technology...when it works. Called me old-fashioned but I will keep some other proof that I am taxed rather than arguing the point when I have been pulled over because the DVLA database might not have been updated.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
So, I take it your not in favour??? :whistle::whistle:

See above ha ha. Might be handy to renew online if I am still abroad, could just download the receipt onto my phone, but that's not gonna happen cos I still have to come home to have the van mot'd. Now if they bring in a system where your van can be mot'd abroad I will be it's biggest fan...
(y)(y)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
just taxed the mh £165:) just taxed the car £285:( last year did 10,000 miles in mh and did 5,000 in car. i use to like the idea of the road tax being put on fuel but as the mh does like a drop pleased they havnt yet.
steve

It would suit me as I spend most of my time abroad, therefore you can sleep easy Steve because it won't happen...:swear2:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
It will all be fine until the system is hacked or crashed.

Reactions: SMB

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
See above ha ha. Might be handy to renew online if I am still abroad, could just download the receipt onto my phone, but that's not gonna happen cos I still have to come home to have the van mot'd. Now if they bring in a system where your van can be mot'd abroad I will be it's biggest fan...
(y)(y)
now i may be totally wrong, but i did hear of a garage on the costas that did british mots. if one garage can do them, why not others. the garage in question was run by and staffed by brit expats and they had another branch in the uk registered for mots. they appeared to do the testing then email the results to the uk for a mot document to be issued.

as said though i may have misunderstood

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If it does away with the perforations I'm happy to see it go. I honestly believe they're still using the first machine made for the job. Or a little old dear with a pin. Just think of it as a bit more windscreen in which to place a Funster sticker. :rolleyes::rolleyes::whistle::whistle:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
but if 2 or more identical cars (cloned) are sat in a carpark etc you can check a tax disc on one to prove its genuine but not the fake/stolen car. no disc or other visual id and the checks need to be more invasive

a mate of mine nearly bought a cloned van a while back. something didnt seem right so he checked the documents against the vin number. it had even passed a hpi check, but just seemed too cheap to be right and the seller was shifty as hell

Most vehicles - maybe all now - have the vin number somewhere visible. This can be validated by the police in seconds to see if it matches the reg number. Tax discs have always been vulnerable to being stolen and add nothing - in fact because they can easily be stolen and used on a different car they increase, not decrease the security risk.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
now i may be totally wrong, but i did hear of a garage on the costas that did british mots. if one garage can do them, why not others. the garage in question was run by and staffed by brit expats and they had another branch in the uk registered for mots. they appeared to do the testing then email the results to the uk for a mot document to be issued.

as said though i may have misunderstood
Thanks for that, I will scour the internet and the forums etc and see what I find. That would be very handy if it's possible :)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
From the www.gov.uk website:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

"To drive or keep a vehicle on the road you will still need to get vehicle tax and DVLA will still send you a renewal reminder when your vehicle tax is due to expire. This applies to all types of vehicles including those that are exempt from payment of vehicle tax."

Also on this site it gives you the option of checking any vehicle to see if it is taxed. Put my details in and it came back with the correct information. It also holds details of your MOT if you have one, and you can check the date of the latest V5c. Impressive, that helps as you can check to make sure your vehicle is showing as being taxed after renewal. Can't find how much it will be to pay by direct debit, no hurry (y)

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Scrap the tax disc
Replace it with an Insurance Disc.

If any vehicle has no insurance disc Scrap the vehicle regardless of age or
condition and Fine and or Imprison the useless sod that is running around with no Insurance

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Didn't German vehicles get new number plates every year that had two "cakes" on them divided into twelve segments and the TUV (MOT) and insurance stamped into them?

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Personally I prefer to have visible proof that my vehicle is taxed. Computer systems are not infallible, especially Government databases, and I will be keeping my receipt with me. Hopefully someone will tell the other countries about the change as well, I'm glad I just taxed my van last month for a year, by the time it expires a lot of poor buggers will have been assisting the foreign cops with their distance learning packages. Any excuse to pull us over...:swear2:

Why would foreign Police be interested in a UK tax disc? Most of them have no idea what it is in the first place.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I'm all for technology...when it works. Called me old-fashioned but I will keep some other proof that I am taxed rather than arguing the point when I have been pulled over because the DVLA database might not have been updated.

When I do anything online with DVLA, I immediately save the confirmation on the screen of my taxing or SORN'ing a vehicle as a pdf file. This is saved in hard copy and also to my Dropbox.
I can retrieve it at any time, if required via my PC, laptop, tablet or phone. For example one of my SORN's.

The SORN will be valid until you tax, sell, permanently export or scrap the vehicle.

Reference Number: 11*************4
Vehicle Registration Mark: GL*****
Application made on: 13/06/2014 16:51

I also do this with my insurance certificates, all of which is done online these days.
I like technology....

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
I wonder how many cloned cars will appear? I see a car the same as mine I note the Reg and get a pair of plates off fleabay (no docs needed) I put them on mine and as I bought it cash and gave a false address DVLA don't know it existed anyway.
Before you get worried Iwill not be doing this as I feel guilty if a Policeman even looks at me!
Bernie (Child of the sixties)(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Scrap the tax disc
Replace it with an Insurance Disc.

If any vehicle has no insurance disc Scrap the vehicle regardless of age or
condition and Fine and or Imprison the useless sod that is running around with no Insurance
I agree but no-one checks discs anymore. ANPR is very good, is on all major routes and in every patrol car, and is cheaper than people.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Why would foreign Police be interested in a UK tax disc? Most of them have no idea what it is in the first place.
You're probably right, but as the vehicle has to be taxed even when abroad, a traffic cop may use it as a reason to pull you over if it's not displayed. The traffic cops over here (should) know what is required of foreign vehicles in the UK :)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
When I do anything online with DVLA, I immediately save the confirmation on the screen of my taxing or SORN'ing a vehicle as a pdf file. This is saved in hard copy and also to my Dropbox.
I can retrieve it at any time, if required via my PC, laptop, tablet or phone. For example one of my SORN's.

The SORN will be valid until you tax, sell, permanently export or scrap the vehicle.

Reference Number: 11*************4
Vehicle Registration Mark: GL*****
Application made on: 13/06/2014 16:51

I also do this with my insurance certificates, all of which is done online these days.
I like technology....

I'm the same, except I don't use dropbox or anything similar. I save the email's with the documents attached and also have a folder with the PDF'S or I use a cutting tool to save the webpage screen. I do the same with the Portuguese Toll website as they haven't got a clue what they are doing :LOL:

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I wonder how many cloned cars will appear? I see a car the same as mine I note the Reg and get a pair of plates off fleabay (no docs needed) I put them on mine and as I bought it cash and gave a false address DVLA don't know it existed anyway.
Before you get worried Iwill not be doing this as I feel guilty if a Policeman even looks at me!
Bernie (Child of the sixties)(y)
Probably the same amount there is now

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
No road tax disc...

I would personally like the old system to stay...

What say you...
I think It would be a great idea Mo if it was no tax disc and NO FEE:cool:
brian and jo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back