Is it a good idea.....

Jul 27, 2013
MH
Exp
I'm sure it will cause massive confusion for some time but when eventually people get used to it this will settle down.
At the moment the police can check everything through ANPR and this will continue.
I'm not even sure that parking wardens take any notice of expired tax discs currently.
One thing is certain, not issuing paper discs will save money, this will be reflected in bonuses for those senior managers in the issuing authorities.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I reckon that putting virtually all these services online is asking for trouble, one well planned terrorist cyber attack that wipes out systems & the whole thing will be down the pan :eek:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Not if your vehicle`s MOT has or is about to run out...
If MOT and tax run out at the same time then that's not very good planning! We've always made sure ours are apart so they don't run out at the same time. Usually do this by taxing for 6 months the first time and then annually. We haven't managed to get them 6 months apart as the MH we bought had a long MOT but not the full year but they're separated by about 3-4 months by doing this.

We don't currently go away for months at a time but when Joe retires we will be so we know that as long as the MOT is up to date before we go we'll be OK.

Denise

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I reckon that putting virtually all these services online is asking for trouble, one well planned terrorist cyber attack that wipes out systems & the whole thing will be down the pan :eek:
Then it wouldn't matter anyway, because Mr Plod would never know what was taxed, MOT'd, or insured, on any vehicle..........

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
MH
C Class
Exp
I think it wont make much difference I tax all of our vehicles online and have done for the last couple of years, never had any issues, not having to put a coulourful piece of paper in the window wont make any difference to me.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
MH
Swift Sundance 620FB
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ahhhhh.....My first 'full circle' thread!! :)(y)(y)
Won't be your last.

Brilliant idea - one less problem.

Not so brilliant, now if your insurance runs out and it's still taxed they hit you with an automatic fine assuming you are running it uninsured. Yet, as far as I know, the MOT can run out. But the huge insurance influence does not worry about MOTs, it's up to Geo's mob to get the MOT deal stitched up.

Reactions: SMB
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Not having to issue a bit of paper will save money.
The no disc system is open to abuse.
I have heard a good many folk talking about running the risk of getting caught as ANPR cameras aren't monitoring every road.
Quite a few folk who live in the sticks hereabouts have said they wont bother with tax / mot / insurance at all as the chance of getting caught in these areas will be minimal.
How much will be spent in new ANPR cameras and man hours to monitor the system?
The current system works.

Apr 13, 2012
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
......................................................................................................................................

Scrapping the tax disc IMO will cost us (the taxpayer) - typical 'accountants' cost saving

The cost of issuing the disc is seen as a saving - what has not been thought through are the losses by avoidance - or honest mistakes, and the cost of putting those mistakes right - say your reminder does not arrive - what happens?

- Have you tried sorting things out with the DVLA?

The Tax disc is a reminder, and a sign that you have paid

Short-term saving - long-term extra cost

..................................................................................................................................................

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
MH
A class
Exp
It will be better for any Fulltimers using relations as an address.

Reactions: SMB
SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services