Is gold finish paintwork a target? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
Good morning folks.
I’m interested to know if members think gold finish paintwork is a target for criminal damage or theft?
I’m searching for a van and they certainly do stand out on the forecourt and there seems to be a lot of them for sale (but perhaps that a model type thing)
I see a fellow member dwite had his stolen last month. ( I’m so sorry to hear this dwite, I hope your insurance process is going smoothly)

Thank you.

Solution2
Doesn't matter what colour it is or where it's parked, if they want it they'll take it.
But .....why would they steal something that stands out, thus easier to spot, from the crowd
Yeh I agree Pappajohn, it makes sense.
Bright metalic silvers and golds are more difficult to match paint in a repair. That's why I would avoid them.
Interesting point Jez. However I have an excellent body repair guy. Someone deeply keyed my TT from one end to the other and it's immaculate now. 👍🏻
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
Thanks for your thoughts Carpmart.
Me being an inexperienced motorhomer, what do you see personally as an easy target? I mean apart from the obvious such as leaving it in low light in a service station car park!

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Why would gold paint make a van any more likely to be stolen? I can't see the link between colour and the odds of theft. On the damage thing I think sadly the flashier and more expensive something is the more it becomes a target. It's nothing new I had a friend with a Porsche in the 1980,s it was a problem then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Me being an inexperienced motorhomer, what do you see personally as an easy target? I mean apart from the obvious such as leaving it in low light in a service station car park!

I’m not experienced either really. I feel it’s just common sense precautions really.

Just try and think like the bad guys do. Where you are parked, what they can easily see, how and where you leave the vehicle etc etc

IMHO and probably most importantly, be aware of risk, but don’t worry! 👍🏻

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
Why would gold paint make a van any more likely to be stolen? I can't see the link between colour and the odds of theft. On the damage thing I think sadly the flashier and more expensive something is the more it becomes a target. It's nothing new I had a friend with a Porsche in the 1980,s it was a problem then.
Yes I am leaning towards damage. If I were someone partial to criminal damage, I think I would certainly scratch a gold van as opposed to a white one.
Love the profile name btw. 😏

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
No, ease of theft comes first
I can get that, especially from a monetary and devastation point of view, but I’d also be mighty peed off if someone took a great gouge out of my shiny new van 😱
What do you think of my theory that it may be more likely for someone to do that on a white van?

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I can get that, especially from a monetary and devastation point of view, but I’d also be mighty peed off if someone took a great gouge out of my shiny new van 😱
What do you think of my theory that it may be more likely for someone to do that on a white van?
Meh...idiots are idiots, leave em to it is my motto and try not to get overly worried. Make sure we have insurance and accept what comes.
There will be as many that are jealous that will appreciate what others have.
Try not to think about it, get what appeals to you.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Mine never stands out.. Until i put up the beer tent next to it.. :doh: :rofl:

IMG_20200917_152904.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
If you were a thief, would you steal one that stands out, or one that looks like every other one? In reality I suspect they would go for the easiest to steal, least likely to attract attention one. As Carpmart said don't be the slowest wildebeest, all you need to do is encourage them to steal something easier.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
Meh...idiots are idiots, leave em to it is my motto and try not to get overly worried. Make sure we have insurance and accept what comes.
There will be as many that are jealous that will appreciate what others have.
Try not to think about it, get what appeals to you.
Thanks for you input, really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Thieves would probably be less inclined to steal a " stand out" van rather than a bog standard white box that is easily hidden amongst "white caravans"

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Bright metalic silvers and golds are more difficult to match paint in a repair. That's why I would avoid them.

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
IMG_2575.jpeg
Haven’t ever considered the colour of our van would make it more attractive to theft, I’m hoping its age would put people off..😂

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Doesn't matter what colour it is or where it's parked, if they want it they'll take it.
But .....why would they steal something that stands out, thus easier to spot, from the crowd

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
If I were a thief I would like to get as far away as possible without being spotted so I would choose a plain white van to steal. Go for the gold if you like it(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
Yeh I agree Pappajohn, it makes sense.
Interesting point Jez. However I have an excellent body repair guy. Someone deeply keyed my TT from one end to the other and it's immaculate now. 👍🏻

Upvote 0
Solution

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back