Is getting a LPG refillable system worth it ? (1 Viewer)

Aji

Dec 8, 2017
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Sgx
Exp
Neen
I was going to get Twin Gaslow bottles fitted , however I was informed that because it was a new PVC they were unwilling to install / drill through the van to install an external fill point. They did not recommend an internal fill point.
Looks like I will go for an underslung tank now.

Ally

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I was going to get Twin Gaslow bottles fitted , however I was informed that because it was a new PVC they were unwilling to install / drill through the van to install an external fill point. They did not recommend an internal fill point.

Ally
But you still need holes to get pipe runs in and a fill point to fill it?🤔

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Well worth it for the convenience. No swapping bottles and having to carry them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We got an underslung for our previous 5.4m PVC as we were planning on travelling around Europe for a few months. It only had a dinky gas locker. But freeing up the space it was using was very handy. The 'fill up when you've got an opportunity' flexibility was great too. It wasn't cheap, but it was well worth it.

My new van doesn't have a garage, just some outside lockers. At the moment, if we want to take both folding bikes, they eat up the two biggest lockers and we end up travelling with a folding chair in the walkway. The van has a gas locker that's big enough for a pair of 11kg bottles. But if I go underslung, that space would make a very handy as a Brompton garage. So I'm keen to find out if I can get a tank fitted.

Aji

Dec 8, 2017
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Sgx
Exp
Neen
But you still need holes to get pipe runs in and a fill point to fill it?🤔
Maybe, was thinking of attaching the external fill point to the chassis, flush to the side or rear of the van if possible.

Ally

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Maybe, was thinking of attaching the external fill point to the chassis, flush to the side or rear of the van if possible.

Ally
On our old van with an underslung tank, the fill point was fitted as a bracket just rearwards of the side door step. It was fairly easy to access and the step would provide a little protection to the fill point and pipework.

Deleted User
We’ve travelled for six years on the tunnel and have had the underslung tank all that time. The only check made is the one asking if the gas is turned off. So once again a scare story from a member of this forum.
The article you added does say in plain English that the LPG ban is for vehicles powered by LPG.
Don’t let the truth spoil a good scare story though.
Thank you for your contribution, however my point was about the quantity of an underslung, not the fact it wasnt allowed on eurotunnel per se. Not a scare story, more about giving people proper information. 🤗

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you for your contribution, however my point was about the quantity of an underslung, not the fact it wasnt allowed on eurotunnel per se. Not a scare story, more about giving people proper information. 🤗

Yes, although the capacity allowed is almost the same whether it is underslung or cylinders.

Deleted User
Yes, although the capacity allowed is almost the same whether it is underslung or cylinders.
DuxDelux stated they had a 70 litre LPG tank in their posting on this thread earlier, which is why I made the point as such a tank would be against the eurotunnel rules (if declared or observed), as the limit is 47 kgs or 50 kgs combined total on any vehicle. Save the OP (or anyone else researching this subject in months/years to come) fitting an huge tank and then realising the limitation😀. Only trying to be helpful😬

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
DuxDelux stated they had a 70 litre LPG tank in their posting on this thread earlier, which is why I made the point as such a tank would be against the eurotunnel rules (if declared or observed), as the limit is 47 kgs or 50 kgs combined total on any vehicle. Save the OP (or anyone else researching this subject in months/years to come) fitting an huge tank and then realising the limitation😀. Only trying to be helpful😬
70 litres is less than 40kg.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
For the purposes of this text, this means fixed containers that are permanently installed or fixed in a vehicle and are refillable from outside the vehicle.

The quantity of gas is limited to 47kg (or approximately 93 litres) maximum for a single container and to 50kg (or approximately 99 litres) maximum in the case of several containers. Each container must be no more than 80% full.
The above is copied and pasted from your post.
This clearly states 47kg or 93 litres for a single container. DuxDelux stated as you rightly say that he has a 70 litre tank.
To me 70 litres is nowhere near 93 litres so would not be contravening the tunnel regulations. Even if he travelled full which in reality is 80% of 70 litres so 56 litres of LPG.

Deleted User
For the purposes of this text, this means fixed containers that are permanently installed or fixed in a vehicle and are refillable from outside the vehicle.

The quantity of gas is limited to 47kg (or approximately 93 litres) maximum for a single container and to 50kg (or approximately 99 litres) maximum in the case of several containers. Each container must be no more than 80% full.
The above is copied and pasted from your post.
This clearly states 47kg or 93 litres for a single container. DuxDelux stated as you rightly say that he has a 70 litre tank.
To me 70 litres is nowhere near 93 litres so would not be contravening the tunnel regulations. Even if he travelled full which in reality is 80% of 70 litres so 56 litres of LPG.
Thank you for clearing that up😀

Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
100% yes. I couldn't think of touring Europe with it's 'every country has different gas bottles' system!
Personally I use lightweight SafeFill plus Euro connectors, but they all work.
I love knowing that both bottles are full before I go away.
Any cost saving is incidental.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner

Ally
Was this at Autogas 2000 Leisure at Thirsk? They never asked about the Brunhilde's age when I made the booking [she is 5 years old, but it's a bit late to be checking these details after I've driven from Scotland with just under 2kg of gas in the exchange cylinder! John just popped a brand new holecutter in his 18v Makita, and away he went ... I didn't see much of the rest of the work, because I was in the bathroom washing my underwear ... ;)

Steve

• Funny
Reactions: GJH

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You profligate gas guzzler, you! What's wrong with putting on a jumper and boiling the kettle for a hot water bottle, eh? Oh, you do? Exits stage left, doesn't bother getting coat, offers it to Lenny instead ... :LOL: :unsure:

Steve
Got to have our morning showers & since fitted an internal fan in the fridge that uses a lot more gas, small price to pay for cold beer.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Got to have our morning showers & since fitted an internal fan in the fridge that uses a lot more gas, small price to pay for cold beer.
I have a shower once a fortnight, whether I need one or not ... Once I hear cracking when I start to bend and have checked that it's not my knees playing up, I know it's getting time to brave the cubicle ... Added bonus that this practice makes social distancing a doddle ... Even with folk upwind, it's easy to get them to be 3 or 4 metres clear of me ... Put the beer in the thermos flask and that counts as an evening hot drink ...Loads of ways to be frugal with the gas ;) :LOL:

Steve

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years

Ally
I wouldn't worry. It's a doddle. Just a short length of pipe from the gas locker, along the floor and into a side skirt. Looks great.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
No one so far has mentioned anything about any gas fitting regulations e.g. having to have the gas system installed by the likes of a CORGI registered fitter & I note one person who fitted their own appear to not have the isolation valve in the correct side. So what are the rules, or are there none with regards to safety of oneself and others. I personally would not have the confidence to attempt to fit such a system.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
No one so far has mentioned anything about any gas fitting regulations e.g. having to have the gas system installed by the likes of a CORGI registered fitter & I note one person who fitted their own appear to not have the isolation valve in the correct side. So what are the rules, or are there none with regards to safety of oneself and others. I personally would not have the confidence to attempt to fit such a system.

Certainly, if you did not have the confidence to fit such a system, it would not be legal for you to do so as you are admitting your own "incompetence" (this is legal term). Domestic installations require a competent person. If the person (or anyone else) is paid, then that person has to prove competence by being on the Gas-Safe register. CORGI registration is now just one of many ways of achieving that registration. People working on their own property do not need to be registered. However, they still need to be competent. This means being able to do everything that the Gas Safe registered installer would do, including being able to calculate gas line pressure drops, pressure test systems etc. Just connecting stuff up and hoping there's no leaks, excessive pressure drops or flue back pressure is not enough.

My understanding is the vehicle gas systems do not come under the Gas Safe system, although they probably should. Things may have changed since I last looked, however.

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Had Gaslow system fitted 4 years ago. Kept the original gas locker and filler point sits just inside. If I ever change motorhomes this would be one of the first things to have installed. Worth it just to avoid cylinder swapping.

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Underslung is the way to go as the space saving is massive. I couldn't understand why anyone would fit any refillable system without fitting an external filling point.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I am surprised you haven’t bought a system yet as you first posted last Tuesday!

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Bear in mind the Bottles require replacing after 10yrs,think the 11Kg are roughly £110 each, friend of a friend purchase a pair S/H off FB, without realising they only had 14 months left, Expensive Mistake...

Feb 13, 2019
LLANELLI
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro 685
Exp
6 years
I bought my first safefill 4 years ago after getting fed up of having to give part empty Calor bottles back whenever we went away just to make sure we had enough gas to last us. I have never found it hard to find a station which we can fill up at. I downloaded the App FillLPG and that updates the local garages and prices wherever you are .Morrisons have a Set up with Safefill which means you can fill at their Gas Stations. I purchased our second bottle this year to use on the barbie. And at the end of the day It's your bottle to sell if you do pack up . I love doing top ups at £6/7 a go. 57p/litre. So I would say Go For It.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Underslung is the way to go as the space saving is massive. I couldn't understand why anyone would fit any refillable system without fitting an external filling point.
If fitting a Gaslow / Gasit system then inside the gas locker is a logical choice of location. If fitting an underslung tank I agree with you.

Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
If you have a certain make of PVC, then there is no drilling whatsoever involved. Autogas Leisure 2000 fitted my GasLow 11kg, the fill pipe enters the gas locker through the floor mesh, and the fill point is securely mounted to a chassis cross member underneath the rear bumper, via a pre-existing hole. Very neat

Dec 19, 2014
edinburgh
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 694
Exp
since 2004
definite yes from me too. my gaslo has paid for itself. filling up really needs no more planning than a water change

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back