Is C1 really needed? (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
That is correct and the reason for the different speed limits is down to the class of vehicle (nothing to do with taxation class or type of vehicle): up to 3 imperial tons (now 3,050 kg) unladen weight is a motor car; over that is a heavy motor car.

(Over that starts to go into locomotive and others that I can't remember!)
Classifications that were probably defined in the age of steam driven vehicles!

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
I don’t find the categories confusing but I do think the D2 Form and associated advice notes could be clearer about the +E categories. The form allows you to cross the C1/D1 box but stays silent on C1E, as do the advice notes. Having ticked the C1 box do they assume you want the E too?

Perhaps the reason is there is no longer an option to acquire a trailer category on the back of another vehicle test pass. Each trailer category is subject to separate testing. If you obtain a C1 you would have to then use the provisional status to take a trailer test to get to C1E.

Feb 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Moncayo Mediterraneo 765
Exp
Being a Hgv driver, to drive over 3.5 ton you first have to apply for C1 to be added to your licence if it isn't on your license you're not entitled to drive that category. Once you've passed the test it will be added to your license as a full entitlement
16063353820758728964074816298889.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Perhaps the reason is there is no longer an option to acquire a trailer category on the back of another vehicle test pass. Each trailer category is subject to separate testing. If you obtain a C1 you would have to then use the provisional status to take a trailer test to get to C1E.
I believe you automatically keep the B and BE at 70 without any tests or medical report so I can’t see why the C1E would be different so I am guessing we keep it with the C1 application.

Feb 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Moncayo Mediterraneo 765
Exp
Sorry no. If you imagine you want to drive over. 5T you licence doesn't allow it. Once it is applied for it gets put into the first column of dates when you pass that class the expiry date goes into the second column of dates. If the category isn't there it's because the license is old. If you got your license updated and you passed your test after 1997 there would be a lot of empty categories.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I have just been asked to renew my Licence to a 70+ version. I am 78!
I do not have a C1 on my licence and I have a 3,500kg Motohome. Can I drive it, or not?
You can but can only tow up to 750kg which effectively means no cars on A frames or cars on trailers.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
I believe you automatically keep the B and BE at 70 without any tests or medical report so I can’t see why the C1E would be different so I am guessing we keep it with the C1 application.

The inherited C1E limits to 8250kgs, which includes the nominal 750kg trailer, which is what an old car licence category would have allowed; whereas a new C1 E acquired by test allows a MAM of 12000kgs which is a significant difference hence the requirement for testing.
The question around D1 and D1E is different as buses are graded by seating capacity/length not weight, their trailers are graded by weight contribution/axle configuration.
I am sure there are others on this forum who would agree with me that there can be a significant difference in the handling of a vehicle between its laden and unladen state. Driving a vehicle rated at 12000kgs is generally beyond the experiences of most car drivers so requires additional expertise/training/testing.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The inherited C1E limits to 8250kgs, which includes the nominal 750kg trailer
No, C1E allows vehicles up to 7,500kg to tow a trailer with a combined weight of up to 12,000kg.

You should get the E suffix with your grandfather rights. The following is what the Government website says:
Category BE
You can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500kg with a trailer.

The size of the trailer depends on the BE ‘valid from’ date shown on your licence. If the date is:

• before 19 January 2013, you can tow any size trailer
  • on or after 19 January 2013, you can tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 3,500kg
Category C1E
You can drive C1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg.

The combined MAM of both cannot exceed 12,000kg.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
If your C1E came with a code 107 as an inherited category it is limited to 8250kgs. The 'any size' trailer is self limiting with regards to the towing capability of the tow vehicle. A car with MAM of 3500kgs will be limited in its towing capacity, there clearly cannot be an infinite capacity and in practise would fall within the 7500kgs limit.
Grandfather rights do not endure in perpetuity, they will be amended as legislation develops and the change in licence category qualifications in 2013 is a good example.
The definitive position is on the back of the licence, if no dates against a category you cannot drive it. If trying to reinstate a category due to an admin error that is a slightly different matter and may need more digging.

Sundowner ll

Free Member
Aug 29, 2020
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I passed my test back in the 1980's and do not have C1 listed. However, looking at Gov.uk website I see this:

Category B - if you passed your test before 1 January 1997
You’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg maximum authorised mass (MAM). View your driving licence information to check.
You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

Link

So I am good to go with a motorhome over 3500kg, right? And I don't need to explicitly have C1 on my licence do I? I have written to them just today to confirm.

C1 was removed from my licence when I didn't renew my HGV entitlement at 45 years. (I didn't need it) Now I want a MH over 3500kg, DVLA have told me that they "Can't understand why C1 was removed" but the quickest way to resolve the issue is, to get a medical, and have my HGV entitlement reinstated which, will negate the C1 issue allowing me to drive over 3500kg.
GP's aren't doing medicals at the moment so, I have to go private, but there is a company doing medicals for £50.00, which probably near the cost from a GP.
If unsure just call the DVLA, they did answer fairly quickly.
I just have to work on my blood pressure a little before the medical!

OP
OP
DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Thank you all for your replies. Lucky for me my wife has C1, so I will kick back and chill.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If your C1E came with a code 107 as an inherited category it is limited to 8250kgs.
A useful reminder to check the codes. Not likely to affect the average motorhomer or toad/trailer but being aware of limitations might help some.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
If your C1E came with a code 107 as an inherited category it is limited to 8250kgs. The 'any size' trailer is self limiting with regards to the towing capability of the tow vehicle. A car with MAM of 3500kgs will be limited in its towing capacity, there clearly cannot be an infinite capacity and in practise would fall within the 7500kgs limit.
Grandfather rights do not endure in perpetuity, they will be amended as legislation develops and the change in licence category qualifications in 2013 is a good example.
The definitive position is on the back of the licence, if no dates against a category you cannot drive it. If trying to reinstate a category due to an admin error that is a slightly different matter and may need more digging.
My C1E has code 79(=<8250kgs) which, I guess is exactly the same as code 107....

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Funnily enough I checked mine online this morning as licence expires tomorrow but an 11 month extension automatically added due to COVID.
Went ahead anyway and completed the renewal because it might take 11 months for me to get it back and them to sort their omissions on it!:doh:
Well I'll need to take back everything I said about them!
Applied for new licence on 24th and it arrived in the post on 27th.(y) And it's correct.(y)
So, three day turnaround.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back