LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Since I renewed my C1 I can now ride a motorbike :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: John has hidden the KTM keys.

Many people are confused by the change of tricycles to count as 'A' rather than 'B'. This means that car licences are coming back with unexpected 'A' (motorbike) entitlements.

However, this is not the case as you will find a restriction code on the 'A' category limiting it only to tricycles. This is basically grandfather rights. New drivers need to take a motorbike test to drive tricycles (alternatively, if you are disabled, you can take a test directly on a tricycle).

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Many people are confused by the change of tricycles to count as 'A' rather than 'B'. This means that car licences are coming back with unexpected 'A' (motorbike) entitlements.

No confusion partner has had a full bike licence for many years, thoughon checking, it was my international driving licence which gave me the entitlement. Wouldn't want to use it, If I ever completedmy bike training Iwould never ride pillion again and we don't need abother bike.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/changes-to-the-driving-licence-and-categories, example C

This link gives the licensing position post 2013. It makes it clear that the category of entitlement must have relevant dates. There are no assumptions of previous entitlements. What should have happened is a renewal of a pre 1997category 'B' licence should have come back with category C1 as an automatic entitlement. If it did not then it would have to be re-applied for otherwise the 3500kg (+750kg trailer) limit applies.

For the older amongst us there is the risk of mixing up the old car entitlement of 'A', which is now 'B' and 'E' which was moped but now trailer! No wonder DVLA get so much correspondence, it must be a minefield sorting out the frequent changes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I don’t find the categories confusing but I do think the D2 Form and associated advice notes could be clearer about the +E categories. The form allows you to cross the C1/D1 box but stays silent on C1E, as do the advice notes. Having ticked the C1 box do they assume you want the E too?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Funnily enough I checked mine online this morning as licence expires tomorrow but an 11 month extension automatically added due to COVID.
Went ahead anyway and completed the renewal because it might take 11 months for me to get it back and them to sort their omissions on it!:doh:
The 12 month extension is an EU thing and so after the end of the year your extended licence will only be valid in the UK. That's the way I read it.
When they first started doing it they send out new licences so not a problem but now they are just saying your licence is extended and not issuing a new licence you are stuffed if you want to go abroad.

Deleted User
The 12 month extension is an EU thing and so after the end of the year your extended licence will only be valid in the UK. That's the way I read it.
When they first started doing it they send out new licences so not a problem but now they are just saying your licence is extended and not issuing a new licence you are stuffed if you want to go abroad.
My wife's licence runs out this weekend, applied for a new licence about a month ago online and the new one came the week after.

RobL

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Minchinhampton
Funster No
MH
American rv purchasing.
Exp
Since 2008
DVLA were in the news some years ago where people were losing entitlement when submitting their licence for change of address. A lot of people didn't notice until they needed to drive a larger vehicle. I have to say the rules are daft where having taken your test before '97 you can jump into a 7.5 ton truck without any training.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
My wife's licence runs out this weekend, applied for a new licence about a month ago online and the new one came the week after.
A couple months ago my mates wife applied online for the year extension (before they started doing it automatically) new licence came in about a week but C1 missing. She phoned them they said put in a new application in the post with a covering letter. So she though might as well get a full 3 year one, got a D2 from the post office & had a medical sent it off. Just over a week a got a new licence.
So on rare occasions, DVLA can get things sorted but from my experience with them you can't rely on them it's pot luck.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
DVLA were in the news some years ago where people were losing entitlement when submitting their licence for change of address. A lot of people didn't notice until they needed to drive a larger vehicle. I have to say the rules are daft where having taken your test before '97 you can jump into a 7.5 ton truck without any training.
Before we tied up with EU driving laws you could drive up to 12 ton on a car licence, you could drive a double decker bus providing not being used as PSV.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Just reinstated my C1 C1E as i let it lapse at my 70th last Dec. Quite and easy process once you know what you have to do.

Whilst we are on the subject of licences. How would i go about finding the exact dates i passed my Bike test, sometime in 1966 and my car test sometime 1967????? I always put June and July but i know i passed my tests 1st time not many weeks/months after reaching my birthdays which is in December????

Deleted User
Before we tied up with EU driving laws you could drive up to 12 ton on a car licence, you could drive a double decker bus providing not being used as PSV.

I think that you will find the driving licence rules changed in 1968 along with a whole load of C&U regulations, well before we joined the EU.
The initial restriction was 3 tons unladen weight, the change to MAM came about after joining the EU.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I think that you will find the driving licence rules changed in 1968 along with a whole load of C&U regulations, well before we joined the EU.
The initial restriction was 3 tons unladen weight, the change to MAM came about after joining the EU.
I known someone who used to drive a double decker coach (kitted out with video equipment) on a car licence but had to take an HGV test in the 90's to carry on driving it.

Deleted User
I known someone who used to drive a double decker coach (kitted out with video equipment) on a car licence but had to take an HGV test in the 90's to carry on driving it.
For a long while it was possible to drive large vehicles for private use without a HGV or PSV licence.
Not sure when the rules changed as it never affected me, I have driven CE/ Class1 HGV since 1970.

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
How hard is it to take a C1 test?!

How good is your driving in the first place? I'm not talking about self-assessment, but objectively via a ROSPA or IAM test? If you haven't been down that route I would suggest that the cheapest way to get ready for a C1 test is to go to one of those organisations to prepare for and take their test. Their 'observers' are volunteers, so the only cost to you would be your time. If you are good enough to pass their test, especially if you get the highest grade of pass, I don't think you'd need much extra to pass a C1 when you're used to driving a larger vehicle anyway.

Nov 7, 2020
Granada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Vision i677 SP
Exp
Since 2018
You're right, I do have A - motorcycle - on my licence, never taken a bike test and having no legs, very unlikely to!!

Check that your A doesn't have a notation number at the side. If it has then it will probably be restricted to trikes only as they are covered by your B license entitlement. They split the motorbikes up a couple of years ago as I had a Class A with notation for a few months when I got a new license after losing the current one I had. At the time I was doing my motorbike training so it was confusing for a wee while.

1606300918722.png

A couple of years ago would be 2013 going by the image. :LOL:

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
For a long while it was possible to drive large vehicles for private use without a HGV or PSV licence.
Not sure when the rules changed as it never affected me, I have driven CE/ Class1 HGV since 1970.

Going right back to the 60s when my father worked for a haulage firm mopeds (under 50cc) needed a licence, which requirement had been introduced some XX years before [bearing in mind that when my father started driving in about 1926, while there it was necessary to have a licence, he never took a test for anything].

One of their older (he seemed ancient to me at the time!) HGV drivers was stopped one day while going home from work on his moped by a policeman who reported him for driving without a licence, but his licence did include a provisional for that category, so he then rode his moped with L-plates on to stay legal!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Correct. That's why I bit the bullet and applied yesterday.(y)

Nov 7, 2020
Granada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Vision i677 SP
Exp
Since 2018
Just reinstated my C1 C1E as i let it lapse at my 70th last Dec. Quite and easy process once you know what you have to do.

Whilst we are on the subject of licences. How would i go about finding the exact dates i passed my Bike test, sometime in 1966 and my car test sometime 1967????? I always put June and July but i know i passed my tests 1st time not many weeks/months after reaching my birthdays which is in December????

Column 10 of your photocard gives the date you passed the test for the various entitlements.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Column 10 of your photocard gives the date you passed the test for the various entitlements.
Must be something wrong there as on my licence it says 26.1.75.
I know for a fact i passed bike test 1966 and car 1967

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
. I have to say the rules are daft where having taken your test before '97 you can jump into a 7.5 ton truck without any training.
You could also jump into a 12 ton coach without any training providing no passengers were in it.
My coach entitlement was one of those omitted but I could have applied to have it re-enstated...... But they never told you that.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Two on Tour s post made me look at my licences. Before with grandfather rights you could drive 12T with a trailer. Then the EU restricted it all to 8,25 T . 7,5 T + 750 kg trailer. This is what was on my spainish licence until I renewed in 2016 .Now I am back to no restriction & 12T ? Is it the same in the UK as it appears to be from the post?

No it doesn't if you passed before 1974/75 It gives the last date they updated your licence .They lost everything before then.

Must be something wrong there as on my licence it says 26.1.75.
I know for a fact i passed bike test 1966 and car 1967
Everything before 1974/5 was lost/deleted . This is why some years back if they ommitted something from your licence & you could not prove it with copies they wouldn't reinstate as they had no records. Everything before that date only gets recorded retrospectively if someone sends in a bona fide early licence they can identify.Even then they do not put the date before 1974 , to my knowledge.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Everything before 1974/5 was lost/deleted
No it wasn't..... Take a look at the top line on my licence.
I must be a lot older than my mum.
No idea where that sprang from as I never took a moped test but 1975 is correct for bikes.

IMG_20201125_120242.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back