Is buying an ex hire vehicle a good idea (1 Viewer)

chenderson1965

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
10 years with hires, Newbie owner
Hi.

My wife and I are looking to buy our first motorhome. We’ve done lots of research and narrowed down our criteria including spending time at our local dealer looking at different options and configurations etc. I think we know what we want and have a pretty reasonable idea of the market and pricing.

We have found a dealer called Goodmans in Waltham Abbey who have a range of 2018 and 2019 ex rental Sunlight and Dethleffs vehicles for sale at what appear to be very attractive prices. The 2018 vehicles have around 15,000-20,000 miles and the 2019 vehicles around 10,000-13000 miles. They come with a two year guarantee (I haven’t seen the details of this yet and clearly that would be something to look at very closely). They also say that any damage internally or externally which you find after they have been retired from the rental fleet they will repair or replace for free.

I’m wondering what the downsides of buying an ex hire vehicle might be. If it were a car I would worry about it having been thrashed but for a motorhome I guess that’s a bit less of a risk (although I guess you can assume that the miles will have been “harder miles“ than a privately owned vehicle). I guess they may also be bits of damage either internally or externally but, as I said, they say that they will put anything like that right at no cost.

Does anybody have experience of buying an ex hire vehicle? I’d obviously be particularly interested to hear if anyone out there has bought expire from Goodmans and what your experiences were.

What else should I be looking out for when checking out an ex hire vehicle? Even though it’s coming from a dealer with a warranty I think I’m inclined to pay for an AA mechanical inspection. What other risks or issues might there be that I need to look out for?

Thanks a lot.

Chris

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I see no down side providing the interior is ok and it’s not been slung at any brick walls.

Who’s to say a privately owned vehicle will be treated any better.

If it’s the right money and what you want what’s not to like ?

Edit
Obviously due diligence required when buying ?

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Same company ??? Not sure.. Worth checking in case..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Hi.

My wife and I are looking to buy our first motorhome. We’ve done lots of research and narrowed down our criteria including spending time at our local dealer looking at different options and configurations etc. I think we know what we want and have a pretty reasonable idea of the market and pricing.

We have found a dealer called Goodmans in Waltham Abbey who have a range of 2018 and 2019 ex rental Sunlight and Dethleffs vehicles for sale at what appear to be very attractive prices. The 2018 vehicles have around 15,000-20,000 miles and the 2019 vehicles around 10,000-13000 miles. They come with a two year guarantee (I haven’t seen the details of this yet and clearly that would be something to look at very closely). They also say that any damage internally or externally which you find after they have been retired from the rental fleet they will repair or replace for free.

I’m wondering what the downsides of buying an ex hire vehicle might be. If it were a car I would worry about it having been thrashed but for a motorhome I guess that’s a bit less of a risk (although I guess you can assume that the miles will have been “harder miles“ than a privately owned vehicle). I guess they may also be bits of damage either internally or externally but, as I said, they say that they will put anything like that right at no cost.

Does anybody have experience of buying an ex hire vehicle? I’d obviously be particularly interested to hear if anyone out there has bought expire from Goodmans and what your experiences were.

What else should I be looking out for when checking out an ex hire vehicle? Even though it’s coming from a dealer with a warranty I think I’m inclined to pay for an AA mechanical inspection. What other risks or issues might there be that I need to look out for?

Thanks a lot.

Chris
The Sunlight brand is very popular as a hire van in Europe, cheap and robust. I have the carado which is made in the same factory, slightly more expensive and robust.

I would personally not buy an ex hire vehicle on the grounds it may have been deliberately thrashed and/or damaged by people who drive a moho like a car. Also beware repaired accident
damage seen quite a few damaged hire ones, the pinnacle of that is the hire one I saw buried in a spanish escape lane !!!

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My expectation would be the spec of a hired MH will be entry level or possibly lower if they bulk ordered

Check specs carefully if important to you, they are not likely to come up to the top spec A class units you were looking at ?

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
My expectation would be the spec of a hired MH will be entry level or possibly lower if they bulk ordered

Check specs carefully if important to you, they are not likely to come up to the top spec A class units you were looking at ?
Yes, the vehicle may have been thrashed (but they are designed to be thrashed by builders) and it may have had a few bumps and scratches (removed prior to sale - check carefully) and the interior may not have been looked after (once again check carefully) but as DavidG58 says above, the spec will likely be basic. You know what you are getting, it will be priced accordingly and caveat emptor......

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Check the internal condition particularly carefully. Although the dealer says they'll put right any damage without charge, it begs the question why don't they do that before putting the vehicle on sale. Sometimes internal repairs are straightforward, but other times they are certainly not.

Having said that, if the price is right - and reflects its life as a rental - and you are happy with the vehicle, then go for it.

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Check the insurance position carefully. Unless things have changed recently some insurers specifically excluded cover for ex hire vehicles. If you didn't tell them yours was ex hire and they subsequently found out they could repudiate any claim.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Personally I would have no problem with buying an ex hire 'van if the deal was right.
However, could I draw to your attention, something in the OP.
" They also say that any damage internally or externally which you find after they have been retired from the rental fleet they will repair or replace for free. "

If the repair was performed to your satisfaction BEFORE you took possession of the 'van, well OK, BUT, to be frank, I wouldn't trust a dealer who said, "Take the 'van and bring it back if you find damage caused etc. etc."
In those circs I wouldn't buy it.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If the repair was performed to your satisfaction BEFORE you took possession of the 'van, well OK, BUT, to be frank, I wouldn't trust a dealer who said, "Take the 'van and bring it back if you find damage caused etc. etc."
In those circs I wouldn't buy it.

I’m with you.
Inspect the van point out what needs doing, put a deposit on it and collect pay balance when satisfied.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chenderson1965

chenderson1965

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
10 years with hires, Newbie owner
Check the insurance position carefully. Unless things have changed recently some insurers specifically excluded cover for ex hire vehicles. If you didn't tell them yours was ex hire and they subsequently found out they could repudiate any claim.
Can you tell me any more about this. I’ve got a number of quotes and never been asked this question. Where/how did you come across this?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
At the end of the day it’s your money and your decision.

Nothing wrong in seeking advice either, it’s all a fairly sharp learning curve ?

Upvote 0

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Do you do that in hotels you use ??

The kind of hotels I use don't have mattresses

1565117814208.png

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
It’s a commercial base vehicle.
Difficult to thrash a diesel ?
Not that difficult if you try and drive it like a car!! But seriously there has to be an element of a gamble here, not all drivers are capable of treating a vehicle well, I see plenty of hire Van's belting down the motorway. Some People really do not care of it's not their own vehicle.

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Can you tell me any more about this. I’ve got a number of quotes and never been asked this question. Where/how did you come across this?

Thanks
It's something I came across a few years ago when I was reading through some policy wordings. I can't remember which insurers sorry but they were mainstream companies. It surprised me so I looked at a couple more and found similar wordings. As I said things may have changed in the interim period but it's worth bearing in mind just in case.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
It's something I came across a few years ago when I was reading through some policy wordings. I can't remember which insurers sorry but they were mainstream companies. It surprised me so I looked at a couple more and found similar wordings. As I said things may have changed in the interim period but it's worth bearing in mind just in case.

Is the onus on the insurer to ask the question?

Just a thought

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
For me, I would be less concerned about the thrashing of the vehicle. I have seen some hire motorhomes hammering it on motorways at maybe 75 mph. That is superfast in comparison to my 62mph but it really isnt that bad on the engine. If they catch a gust of wind the van wouldnt be for sale ! on the basis it is for sale it either survived or wasnt "thrashed".
As per others on here, difficult to actually thrash.
When i was buying I found the difference not to be substantial enough to buy an ex rental for the fully expected snagging issues which would either be ignored at service or not even found.
I may have been lucky, but we bought just before the NEC thingy in about October where the prices hiked.
Also the rumours of a tax hike on new motorhomes from Sept 19 is worth considering and looking into further as i dont enough about it
I would have it very much down as a personal decision with weight given to different priorities by different people and nobody being right.
Whatever you decide, enjoy

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Check the internal condition particularly carefully. Although the dealer says they'll put right any damage without charge, it begs the question why don't they do that before putting the vehicle on sale. Sometimes internal repairs are straightforward, but other times they are certainly not.

Having said that, if the price is right - and reflects its life as a rental - and you are happy with the vehicle, then go for it.
they start advertising the vans for sale six months before they come to sell so although you can view the vans your agreeing to buy a while infront so damage can occur between you viewing and buying

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i would have no problem with buying a van that had been hired out with the mileages you've quoted you do need to check for any damage thoroughly both inside and out. I would also ask to see any service records for the van As said they will be basic spec but to be honest that means less to go tits up

Upvote 0

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Low mileage, 175 careful owners. What's not to like?....

Seriously I would not be worried about the chassis or engine, these are delivery vans with low revving diesel lumps, its heat that kills engines not driving at speed.

It would have had its service, oil changes, maintenance.

The hab side has had its teething troubles and fixed and if there is anything wrong its no big deal to fix it yourself, BUT make sure it's not damp, no leaks etc etc.

If some appliance packs up, replace it 'cos you have saved a packet buying ex hire.

You can bet your life the hab battery is shot, or close to it but hey 100 quid and you have a new one

All I would do is as I said change the sleeping items, have the inside deep cleaned by a professional service, and I would as a precaution have it de-loused, go around yourself with flea spray because there may have had pets on holiday with them. Over cautious perhaps but I can't stand dogs or the life they sometimes bring home with them.

Ex Hire? Its a good idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
My punt on this when I came into the game 2008. I, didn’t want anyone to have slept in the bed- another reason I rarely use hotels, or use the loo. I wanted to have a proper warranty, although other say not worth the paper it’s written on.

Can you get a van for equivilant/little bit more than an ex rental? I would never ever rent my van to anyone, although have let the kids use it! But got told would never use it again cause they were as paranoid as I was. I am now on 2nd van and 6 years in, I’m not so precious about it, but still don’t want anyone to abuse it more than I might.

Our first van was a Dethleffs, a reasonable quality van for our first, but bashing doors etc do take its toll. If you times that by x amount of renters!

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We bought an ex hire MH and have no regrets. We gave it a very thorough inspection and listed all the bits we wanted them to fix - there weren't that many really though, we've seen second-hand MHs on dealers' forecourts in much worse condition!

The only thing I would say is be aware that you probably won't have any manufacturer's warranty.

If the price and condition are right then go for it. We saved over 10k (about 25%) compared to how much similar non ex hire MHs were going for at the time.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back