Is broadband via landline becoming redundant? (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I downloaded a 7Mb app today in Portugal on 4G and it took one second :eek: on my home broadband it would have took maybe 5 seconds? :oops:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've looked at going the SIM data but I think it would cost us more.
Currently with Plusnet with unlimited 40nb broadband, I pay the line rental 12 months up front £187 plus £3 a month for the broadband, works out at £18.50 a month.

Probably watch more streaming than live TV don't really know how much data we use as Plusnet do not count streaming in your data usage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
According to Virgin Media I shifted some 282 GB of data download last month o_O And that's without the top 350mbps package that would cost a small fortune. And then there will be the upload. Some of that will be streaming on the Amazon Fire. Some gaming (my name might give you a clue as to my aptitude for that), and other stuff. It would be far worse than that if I didn't also have the TV boxes. The landline phone is a waste of time, but cheaper to have it than try and get a broadband and tv only bundle.

I defy any mobile based data package to enable that volume of data. I don't think they do unlimited packages, and if they do they probably are subject to "reasonable use". (OK the VM broadband has got some upload reasonable use speed throttling).

I have no idea what 5G will bring, for moderate users of a little email and browsing mobile data might suffice, but otherwise we're not there yet just as a wired home network may well be more stable than a WiFi type network.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
£27 a month. Plusnet unlimited fibre Inc landline..
Last time I checked we used around 600gb a month with the streaming and kids downloading etc (y)

Last time i lived in bricks plusnet were great no down time unlimited and fast speeds.
I have a three sim in a mifi 20 a month unlimited data and tethering . Getting 29 mbs so not too bad . When in London at relations houses goes down to 2 mbs crowded network maybe but everything in London is faster and better or so they tell me , I try not to stay too long its depressing .

DrMekon

Free Member
Nov 7, 2018
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I've recently dropped my landline. I'm with Three for phone (£16 per month for 30gb), and decided to go with the Huawei AI Cube deal (dual band wifi, 64 connections, up to 300mbps, on an unlimited data deal for £24 per month). I've all ready run another house on the basic MiFi, which was fine for my needs. For the MoHo, I'll take the cube with me and run it off my lithium battery pack when I'm not on EHU.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I've looked at going the SIM data but I think it would cost us more.
Currently with Plusnet with unlimited 40nb broadband, I pay the line rental 12 months up front £187 plus £3 a month for the broadband, works out at £18.50 a month.

Probably watch more streaming than live TV don't really know how much data we use as Plusnet do not count streaming in your data usage.

Exactly the same deal but with Talktalk. They seem to always price match. I've threatened to swap to PlusNet and they have always matched it. I get 10- 12 mbts and it never buffers. Thats about as good as it gets at the moment

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
All my CCTV security systems go through broadband, it is possible to do it via a SIM but I prefer the reliability of broadband.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Exactly the same deal but with Talktalk. They seem to always price match. I've threatened to swap to PlusNet and they have always matched it. I get 10- 12 mbts and it never buffers. Thats about as good as it gets at the moment
I do get the full 38mb.
My Plusnet bill full price is £5.99 but I get a referral discount of £3. Some years ago when I had a few business accounts signed up with them and the referrals were higher they used to send me a cheque every month, now that was cheap broadband.:ROFLMAO:

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
All our Internet and phones are through 4g here from Movistar aka telefónica as they couldn't run the cables through a blocked conduit. We get a steady 20mbs down which is fine for streaming HD TV etc. Unlimited and works a treat.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
When away I watch bike racing tv streamed on mobile data. The speed is fine but it uses in the region of 4gb per hour. 20gb wouldn't last me long enough.

At home I have twin Virgin boxes recording up to x6 programs each, most HD and some now 4k. You can't do that on a small band width. I realise everyone's needs are different and if it's only email, surfing and the odd YouTube video you can get away with much less.
How do you find 6 programs to record? Lucky if i can find one to watch never mind record :LOL::LOL::LOL:BUSBY.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We have opted for the current deal on 3uk, and yesterday took delivery of the AI Cube router and smart speaker. The deal is £20 pcm on a 24 month contract with unlimited data. The cube is quite big so not sure I'd take it in the van but it does run on a 12v Usb supply. We may just take the SIM out and use it in our mifi unit when on the road. So far so good, the speed is varying between 20 & 40, I streamed the Cricket this afternoon without buffering.
Tried the 'Alexa' function which works fine.
I would like to be able to turn the circular leds off as it's a bit of a pyro display in the dark.
All in all quite pleased, especially the unlimited data.(y)
Cheers
Ed

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Have 2 three sim only unlimited data contracts with unlimited min and texts and 1 vodaphone 100gb contract for Turkey and Europe the three contracts are £11 each per month as have been with three since they started I put on of the sims in a hawei b525 router for home broadband and it knocks out 48 mb faster than plusnet used to give us on a landline it does help not being in a city congested area needless to say I binned the landline

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
BTs copper cabling has definitely had it's day that's for sure
I sacked BT off entirely when a fibre supplier was digging down the road and offered stupid speeds... 1GB
So that's what I have now, no BT at all, just a VoIP phone connected to the router which is direct to fibre on the main trunk network 900 MB regularly.. Waiting for things to download is no longer a thing... it's just... DONE :D

5G mobile has a way to go yet til I think about the next move.
Phone bill is no £13 quid :D

Last edited:

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I'd be happy just to have a mobile signal here :doh: but I tend to look more stupid than usual standing on the pavement across the road from us to get a phone signal?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
BTs copper cabling has definitely had it's day that's for sure
I sacked BT off entirely when a fibre supplier was digging down the road and offered stupid speeds... 1GB
So that's what I have now, no BT at all, just a VoIP phone connected to the router which is direct to fibre on the main trunk network 900 MB regularly.. Waiting for things to download is no longer a thing... it's just... DONE :D

5G mobile has a way to go yet til I think about the next move.
Phone bill is no £13 quid :D

It's unbelievable when you think back to the 1980s, it took 5 minutes for a 48k game to load on the ZX Spectrum. At the time I thought that was amazing ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back